• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Some Old Anime Never Re-released?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Macron One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Hi. It meeee.

I worked on both the CPM and Discotek releases. I’ve never heard of a 16mm print.

Hi, Justin! Thank you for the outstanding work you do authoring DVDs and BDs.
Out of curiosity, was the video of both releases based on commercial LD copies?
What was the nature and condition of the materials provided to you from Japan?

Last edited by Macron One on Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Nilrem wrote:
Nyren wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Nyren wrote:
I noticed that too. I haven't watched that series yet, but I have had an interest in it and could find it nowhere. Now I'm curious if there are any distributors that have the Fate series and Persona movies at decent prices.

I know MVM put Fate/Zero out in the UK for a pretty reasonable price. And All the Anime seems to be selling the Persona 3 movies for pretty cheap.
It's like I just struck anime gold!

Baccano on Blu-Ray! Gurren Lagann! Kill la Kill with dub! The complete collection of the original Berserk! They even have Unlimited Blade Works at a good price! Was about to praise them for having Garden of Sinners, but it's just the DVD set. That's a series that deserves nothing less than blu-ray. The only question I have is if any of these UK/EU or AU releases are censored, or if they're uncensored like US releases tend to be.

It's really quite rare for UK releases of anime to be censored at all these days, as long as it's not actually hentai.

From memory none of those mentioned are censored (I've got Gurren, Beserk and Baccano), even Higschool DxD is uncensored which surprised me.
They also recently did GITS:SAC with reworked subs, which has been sat taunting me on the desk for a month.

The thing to watch is that from memory all of ATA's releases are region coded for the UK (sometimes UK/Aus).
They still work on region free players though right? I use my PS4 and Xbox One for blu-rays, and to my knowledge both are region free players.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
It'd be nice if copyrighted works passing into the public domain eventually was a thing that still happened.

In a sane world, this situation would be the exact sort of thing that public domain was meant for. If a company doesn't take any sort of marketable action on a property for X number of years (surely something like 15-20 is more than enough), its rights should revert to the public so that it can be freely distributed without consequence. Copyright was originally intended for the public good, to encourage the creation of new works for consumption, not to sit in the libraries of thrice-post-merger companies or to enrich a creator's great-grandchildren.

It's not a problem that's exclusive to anime, either. There was a story going around a few years back about a group interested in picking up the distribution rights for the cult classic game No One Lives Forever and getting it compatible with modern OSes. They bounced between two or three different companies, but no one at them had any idea whether they even controlled the rights to it, so the whole project fell through. How obfuscated do rights have to get before you should be able to say "screw it" and go ahead with a release?

And it's nice to see someone else discover the UK/Australia route for certain titles. I've dipped into both avenues to pull an end-around on Aniplex of America and to pick up a few titles that inexplicably remain unlicensed over here. In general the UK tends to be the more practical option, as depending on which option you choose (like Amazon UK), the shipping can be very reasonable.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:
Out of curiosity, was the video of both releases based on commercial LD copies? What was the nature and condition of the materials provided to you from Japan?

Thanks for the kind words. Both the 2002 CPM DVD and the Discotek disc are from the Japanese special edition laserdisc. They are LDs so they’re full of analog noise, but the transfer was an early digital one, so it’s better than many others of similar vintage. We were able to make it 24p without much difficulty. The second disc also suffered some laser rot. Both discs have been substantially de-noised (the Discotek release a lot better than the CPM one) and that took out most of the rot, but you can probably see some of it in the last 15 minutes of the film.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
And it's nice to see someone else discover the UK/Australia route for certain titles. I've dipped into both avenues to pull an end-around on Aniplex of America and to pick up a few titles that inexplicably remain unlicensed over here. In general the UK tends to be the more practical option, as depending on which option you choose (like Amazon UK), the shipping can be very reasonable.
It's definitely something to look into, especially at those prices. As long as they'll play on my Xbox One X or PS4 Pro, which I'm pretty sure are region free, then everything should be fine, as long as these stores take my US debit card.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
They still work on region free players though right? I use my PS4 and Xbox One for blu-rays, and to my knowledge both are region free players.

The PS4 is not region free for blu-rays, nor is the Xbox One. The games are region free on both systems, but that's totally different.

The number of Blu-ray regions is less than half of the number of DVD regions, and the US and Japan are the same (region A), but the UK and Australia are both region B. You will need a modified player, whether a standalone box or doing it on a BD-ROM on a computer.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
A VHS only show that I feel really needs a Blu-Ray re-release, is Combustible Campus Guardress.

Guardress isn't VHS-only, as there was an LD release to alongside it, but the point of this OVA needing a re-release of any sort remains true.

I'm glad that two other people are fans of Bakuen Campus Guardress, considering that I don't think it even had any release outside Japan. I've heard it falls into the "creator is difficult to work with" category, but that could just be long standing rumor.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
I've heard it falls into the "creator is difficult to work with" category, but that could just be long standing rumor.

I doubt it has anything to do with the creators, since both Kazushi Hagiwara & Satoru Akahori have both had works of their see international release before. The most I know is that AnimeNation, when it started up the short-lived AN Entertainment offshoot, looked into licensing Guardress early on, only to hit a snag. If anything, my guess is that Shueisha didn't want to work with any company other than Viz at the time. Since Guardress was released as part of the V-Jump Video label at the time, Shueisha effectively owned the anime outright; it's similar to how Konami helped make anime at one point, screwing over those titles.

I'd imagine that the lack of any sort of re-release in general for Shueisha just comes down to the publisher simply not being interested in putting it back out, and the company itself is very picky about working with other, non-Viz companies; only recently has it started opening itself up more with the likes of Seven Seas.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I think it was once stated, years ago when DIscotek first rescued A-Ko, that the 16mm print was too small to really get any sort of good remastering out of (remember, it's almost literally half the size of the 35mm print), so they just went with the laserdisc master, which allowed for at least some sort of visible improvement.
I'd think 16mm would have more detail than laserdisc, as native HD transfers are made from it. Too bad Discotek never had a print of it.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:28 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Macron One wrote:
Out of curiosity, was the video of both releases based on commercial LD copies? What was the nature and condition of the materials provided to you from Japan?

Thanks for the kind words. Both the 2002 CPM DVD and the Discotek disc are from the Japanese special edition laserdisc. They are LDs so they’re full of analog noise, but the transfer was an early digital one, so it’s better than many others of similar vintage. We were able to make it 24p without much difficulty. The second disc also suffered some laser rot. Both discs have been substantially de-noised (the Discotek release a lot better than the CPM one) and that took out most of the rot, but you can probably see some of it in the last 15 minutes of the film.

Always awesome to hear more about the production side of things - especially when it comes to older anime re-releases. Thank you for all the good work you do Justin!
Melchiorgk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:18 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
A VHS only show that I feel really needs a Blu-Ray re-release, is Combustible Campus Guardress.

Guardress isn't VHS-only, as there was an LD release to alongside it, but the point of this OVA needing a re-release of any sort remains true.

I'm glad that two other people are fans of Bakuen Campus Guardress, considering that I don't think it even had any release outside Japan. I've heard it falls into the "creator is difficult to work with" category, but that could just be long standing rumor.

Make that three. Anime club from back in.... 2001? Showed Guardress on VHS. I have since occasionally shown up with a digital copy to hand out/screen on "free screening" days just to show it off.
S0crates

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:48 am Reply with quote
Oh, interesting. I didn't know the original creators held that much power even after so many decades. Surprised
moff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I know of at least one show that has never seen release outside of VHS because its two producers hate each other and refuse to do anything that would enrich the other. There are, I am told, dozens more.

Candy Candy?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_Candy#Releases

Apparently Venus Wars falls under the second category: the director, Yas, didn't authorize further releases besides the VHS and LD, and yet it got a BD release in Italy by Yamato Video and, later, in the US by Discotek.

Yamato Video also released Kyou Kara Ore Wa on DVD, while Japan only got a VHS. I wonder why...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote
sourpatchthekid wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:
So which one does Eva fall under?

A popular rumor is the asking price for an Eva license is too high. There was an Answerman a couple years back that talked about why a series might not be licensed in North America. The series has gotten a blu ray release in Japan however

It also seems that "they don't want to muddy the market for the show and confuse consumers by making the old version available again" is in effect with the Rebuild movies underway, according to Madman:

Quote:
Unfortunately The EVA movies and TV series are out of print, we would love to be able to renew them, but this simply isn't possible until at the very earliest after the final renewal movie is released. We appreciate everyone's patience, we too want to be able to release these.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Crazy the thumbnail/subject was about the Dragon Warrior/Quest anime, I've been watching a bit of the dub and sub from what I could find and thought, "Man how COOL would it be if they could re-release this and even give it a dub that follows the modern DQ localization?"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4