• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord III

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:42 pm Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:
So no preview guide for Overlord this season, just going straight into the weekly reviews? I guess ANN knows people are going to vote for it anyway.

I'm not complaining, by the way.

I was the only one who was caught up enough on the franchise to be able to do a PG write-up for it anyway, and the support votes for streaming reviews of it last time must have been pretty strong. In cases like that Zac and Jacob will usually have us take the series straight to streaming reviews instead. If the last season was even close to being borderline then they would have waited until the voting had taken place. (See Beatless.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:46 am Reply with quote
All jokes involving the word "bone" aside, this was a great start for the new season. When ____ got all emotional I was all "Awwww." It was very nice. And then, the part where ______ couldn't take all the _____ any more and assaulted ____ was hilarious.

I'm so glad it's back, my favorite isekai anime until That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime appears next season and then until Re:Zero comes back. Assuming nobody reboots El-Hazard, my all-time favorite isekai.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:08 am Reply with quote
Interesting how vol 8 is being integrated with scenes from vol 7's prologue these first two episodes.

Now if they only would stop following the novel so closely, perhaps the the pacing issues and abrupt endings to plot lines could improve.

But I see season three having the same fast pace as the second season.Four episodes on volume 8 (with perhaps five) and so many new characters yet to be used & abused..
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Nphi and Enri probably appeared in the first season, but I don't remember them. I think Ains helped some people by defeating the one dude voiced by Takehito Koyasu (Nigun Grid Luin?) in the first season. I'm guessing Nphi and Enri were among those people? I don't remember any goblins though.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
As a standalone episode, I thought this was among the best Overlord's produced so far. Always get the sense they have no idea what to do with their characters aside from ham-fisted slapstick or tone-deaf over-the-top absurdity most of the time, but this episode had some legitimately engaging drama and I appreciated the actual stakes faced by the humans. The lizard-men episodes last season were also pretty OK. More little windows into the life of people without a God hack in this world can only make it better, in my opinion.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Nphi and Enri probably appeared in the first season, but I don't remember them. I think Ains helped some people by defeating the one dude voiced by Takehito Koyasu (Nigun Grid Luin?) in the first season. I'm guessing Nphi and Enri were among those people? I don't remember any goblins though.

Just first season's episodes 3,4,5,6,7,8 and 9,plus a mid credit scene during 13, feature people in or going to to Carne village Razz

Nfirea the kid who hired Momon and was kidnapped during episodes 5,6,7,8 and 9,just do not remember him Rolling Eyes Smile
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
As a standalone episode, I thought this was among the best Overlord's produced so far. Always get the sense they have no idea what to do with their characters aside from ham-fisted slapstick or tone-deaf over-the-top absurdity most of the time, but this episode had some legitimately engaging drama and I appreciated the actual stakes faced by the humans. The lizard-men episodes last season were also pretty OK. More little windows into the life of people without a God hack in this world can only make it better, in my opinion.

I think it's less the writer doesn't know what to do with them and more they can't do anything with them. Ains is still in the reconnaissance stages of his "world domination" plan, and there's an army of players that still need to be introduced or dealt with before the whole of Nazarick can start rampaging across the continent. I mean, we're only now getting to the "reveal yourself on the world stage" part of the plan. I'm expecting the events of Carne, Eight Fingers, and the Princess are going to kickstart Ains' takeover.
forexjammer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:31 am Reply with quote
I swear animation quality improved two folds compared to season 2, i guess they really saved up budget for season 3. The wolf is 2D !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Ep 3,

Be sure not to miss the after credits scene.

It's interesting how they are doing this season. Each season has covered 3 volumes of the light novel, so this season is covering volumes 7-9. They actually covered volume 8 first (as it was sort of an interlude/collection of side stories) I guess so they could have the rest of the season concentrate fully on the action with no break in the middle.

Super excited about this season, now that the warm and fuzzy moments are done, let's move on to the dark side.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:08 am Reply with quote
Lupus not Lupis..... it's not a fan v official translation thing.

Maruyama has commented her name is from the Latin,Lupus Regina; Wolf Queen.
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Lupus not Lupis..... it's not a fan v official translation thing.

Maruyama has commented her name is from the Latin,Lupus Regina; Wolf Queen.

Its as if her nice persona is actually a 'Wolf in sheep's clothing' situation.
Or that her sadistic desires were like that of an S&M Queen.

And that anyone who looked twice at the rest of the Pleiades would find similar names that reflected their true nature.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I do like how the Pleiades span the board in terms of alignment (as in DnD alignment), and it's definitely not always obvious by their initial appearances and surface personalities. I did find it interesting that according to her character sheet, Narberal is actually tied with Solution for being the most chaotic evil of the maids. But that's probably more reflected in her attitude towards humans rather than how she acts with other members of Nazarick.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Here is another nitpick,the anime created a plot hole

In the first season's episode 13' end credit scenes- Enri is right next to Lupus(who is waving back to Nabe) while greeting Lizzy and her grandson.Meanwhile, right next to those two is Nabe,who is greeting Lupus.

And yet Enri did not remember the beautiful Nabe while in the city only a few weeks later....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
They didn't expect the first season to be successful. It was most likely going to be just one season like most madhouse series, so they were probably just having a "go read the light novels to see what happens next" ending without thinking too much about it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
forexjammer wrote:
I swear animation quality improved two folds compared to season 2, i guess they really saved up budget for season 3. The wolf is 2D !

It's possible. Given how quickly season 3 came about, there is a good chance that it was either a strong possibility if not actually approved sometime during season 2's production.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13