• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Happy Sugar Life (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:
This week adapted Chapters 9, 10, and 11. Some more minor things were altered and again, I felt that it made sense why it was done the way it did as it made some things more clear than it was in the manga. Things have escalated quite a bit and Shoko is now going to get involved in the story more ways than she may have anticipated. This week was the most demanding for the voice actors yet and it was quite interesting to hear them deliver their lines as the characters go through quite a bit in their minds. This series been quite the experience and I look forward to it every week.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Of course one of her co-workers is a stalker.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:
This week adapted all of Chapters 12, 13, 14, and 15. This week adapted the most amount of chapters in a single episode of the anime thus far and in case anyone is wondering, no, nothing is being sped up or rushed. Some of the chapters in the series are simply much shorter than others. We got some more backstory on Asahi and Shoko trying to know more about Satou and her situation. Both parts were handled very well as the music was on point, the direction was solid, and it really reminded of why I find this series to be fascinating in the way that I do. Also, Taiyo appears to have been given a chance to see Shio by Satou, but we’ll get more on that next week. The ride continues to escalate and seeing it happen has me quite engaged.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:58 am Reply with quote
Looks like she is probably going to kill her friend, but someone else, who kind of looks like a detective, is following them.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:
This week adapted Chapter 16 and most of Chapter 17. Satou’s teacher tried to get her caught with a crime, but it ultimately backfired with the appearance of her aunt. Honestly, seeing her again in animated form had my heart racing a bit, mainly due to Kikuko Inoue’s performance. When I saw her being casted in this role, I figured that she will do a swell job, but not this swell. Shoko has caught a glimpse of what life for Satou was like growing up and now is upset at herself for bringing back wounds from Satou’s past. I think that this may have been my favorite episode of the anime thus far and it’s in no small part due to the staff executing the framing and atmosphere of the scenes very well. Next week, it appears that we’ll start to have more information about the room Satou and Shio are currently living in, so I look forward to seeing that as things continue to progress in an interesting manner.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:
This week adapted the rest of Chapter 17, Chapters 18, 19, and 20. We get background on how Satou got the apartment that she is currently living in, she has attempted to persuade Taiyo into helping her get rid of Asahi while Asahi tries to make Shoko feel better over her failure to fully support her friend. Even though it didn’t for me, I can see Satou quickly appearing behind Taiyo as a little jump scare. The music has been on point this week again as well as the staff continuing to do a solid job of adapting the manga and that’s about all I got to say about this episode.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:
Multiple things have happened in this episode, but surely the one thing that most people would have a reaction towards would be the ending. This is the turning point of the story and the execution of it was better than I could have imagined. The music this week was the most effective as it’s ever been and it will be interesting to see exactly how the show will reach a conclusion after this episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:12 am Reply with quote
While it seems that most people that got killed so far were some level of messed up, and now what seemed to be the most stable character who was not actually crazy, just got shanked. Really, she kind of handled it wrong.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I was thinking "Man, she's so effing dead" the entire episode.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:19 am Reply with quote
So... Anybody still wanna defend Satou? Rolling Eyes
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

A good question just to ask how you should expect this to end. After running away from the brother, Satou and Shio flung themselves off the roof of the burning building, with at the last minute Satou deciding to protect Shio with her body so that she lives. Is it a good end? Satou was a psychopath that killed, first out of defence, but later out of anger, and lastly to protect the relationship she cared the most about. The first guy tried to kill Shio because he did not like how Shio quickly changed Satou, then some random guys that ganged up and attacked people, but the murder of her friend feels wholly unforgivable.

In the end, Satou was sick, her aunt seemed to likely play a part, but I also think it is likely she probably did have a chemical imbalance out of her control that made her a sociopath. It is tragic then that I think that there probably was a real purity to Shio that Satou felt like was missing, and made her attractive in conjunction. Satou defending Shio at that moment seemed to create a runaway series of events, that she could not get help that she needed. Kind of wonder if Satou being put out of her misery in saving Shio, might have been best. Although the end kind of feels like Shio herself is still mighty messed up. Regardless I don't think her brother is that good mentally either. If the series really could be about anything, it is about lots of mental illness that society really has no real path to treat.

The show is still mighty grim, that I think it is fair to say is sickening in a number of ways. Satou was totally a villain, and yet give kudos that in spite of that, the show could have me at times kind of rooting for her, hoping everything worked out, until I again really think about what is happening. Many people can feel like they are in the right, even if they are most assuredly not. I don't think you can look at this series and rate it the same as any other, it is full of uncomfortable and morally questionable aspect, as part of the point. So I give a rating of Good (7/10), if only that despite all its gruesome and troubling aspects, it is worth seeing.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Satou was totally a villain, and yet give kudos that in spite of that, the show could have me at times kind of rooting for her, hoping everything worked out, until I again really think about what is happening. Many people can feel like they are in the right, even if they most assuredly not.

I am of a differing opinion, Satou was not the villain of this piece. Happy Sugar Life was about a world of predators and beasts.,

Really, Shoko was the only real good and sane person in the whole show. But she made the mistake of entering the lion's den, and was found wanting. The song "Heathens" really spells it out.

Until Shoko, everyone who Satou killed deserved to die. And with all the other predators circling around is it any wonder that Satou trusted no one.

With the way things ended, one wonders if Satou's aunt killed Satou's parents.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2