• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Beatless ‒ Episodes 1-20 streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scalfin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:06 am Reply with quote
Considering the strengths and weaknesses mentioned in the review, how viable would reading the novel instead be, both in terms of English availability and similarity to the anime?
EiMs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:46 am Reply with quote
Scalfin wrote:
Considering the strengths and weaknesses mentioned in the review, how viable would reading the novel instead be, both in terms of English availability and similarity to the anime?

Problem is Light Novel available just in Japanese language. There was a plan to release it in English they translate first chapter "Contract" but because of funding issue they drop it and instead of they doing anime adaptation. Here is a link to first chapter if you want. https://otakumode.com/sp/beatless/reader/chapter1
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:14 am Reply with quote
Yeah, if you find Arato's sister annoying initially then your opinion on her will probably never improve. She's the most disparate element in the series, as she is the one significant character who doesn't seem to serve a bigger story purpose, other than perhaps to represent the innocent and blissfully ignorant contrast to Shiori (the sister of Arato's taller friend Ryu, who has a major role in the later stages of the first half).

Concerning the cast in general, what the characters represent (especially in terms of their viewpoints) is often more important than who the characters are. That doesn't make for the most endearing cast, although I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's a negative for the series because of how that's handled. For instance (and I don't think this constitutes spoilers) one of Arato's friends comes to represent the fear of disenfranchisement by a society whose advances are leaving some behind, and thus by extension somewhat represents nationalist groups. Arato's other friend, meanwhile, comes to represent the fear of loss of control.

So yeah, the ideas here are definitely way more important than the characters, for better or worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:06 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the review, I intend to get back to this one once the rest is out.

It probably won't get one since it's gone pretty under the radar, and Funimation is usually one of the only ones to dub their non-top performing shows unlike Sentai or AoA, but a dub would be extra nice given how talky the show seemed.

Key wrote:
And really, don't let any aversion to the Magical Girlfriend elements keep you from watching the rest. The series is about way, way more than that, to the point that the emphasis on those elements decreases in prominence as the series goes on. As you'll find out, almost nothing in the series - including the apparent Magical Girlfriend elements - is without specific purpose.

Cool.

JustinTaco wrote:
This is an extremely thoughtful show and a huge surprise. I went in expecting silliness and while there is still a lot of unintentional humor this is a really smartly written experience. I can't think of a show that doesn't deserve the low production values and delayed finale more. It really is a shame this is happening.

Yeah, the visuals were okay in what I've watched so far but it's a bit surprising the show didn't achieve higher production values and/or perhaps didn't hook up more of the big freelance animators given some of the high profile key staff that signed on to the show, like Mizushima, and with the draw of Redjuice having done the concept designs, and Hiroko Yaguchi who has seemingly done animation for a good assortment of quality shows looking at the encyclopedia.

Cool to see it got an extension to balance out the number of recaps. Kind of reminds me of Wolf's Rain in that regard, even though that happened for other reasons.
EiMs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I have question is really so hard to understand story what I see most "reviewers" says it is a mess ( like in MAL). But what I see and what is in Theron Martin review it is strongest point of anime he gave A-. So could be this anime for very niche for those who understands very good Sci-Fi other a huge mess. Can someone correct if I wrong.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Not in my opinion. The thematic content of the story is interesting and raises interesting questions, but the execution of the storytelling leaves a lot to be desired. It's not hard to follow because it's complex, but rather because it can be pretty muddled through a lack of focus or sloppy pacing.
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
EiMs wrote:
I have question is really so hard to understand story what I see most "reviewers" says it is a mess ( like in MAL). But what I see and what is in Theron Martin review it is strongest point of anime he gave A-. So could be this anime for very niche for those who understands very good Sci-Fi other a huge mess. Can someone correct if I wrong.

You have to pay attention and realize the show is a slow-burn. MAL reviewers especially do reviews of an entire series before even watching 6 episodes.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
EiMs wrote:

I have not read other sites' reviews on this series but I have heard other people comment on how they thought this series was a mess on the writing front. Except for how the occasional lighter-hearted bits involving Arato's sister are incongruous with the rest of the tone of the story, I've never understood that complaint, as I have always found the story and its positions to be clearly laid-out if one is paying attention. Admittedly it does, in some cases, take a long time for some storylines and themes to play out to a point where their true direction is apparent, but the series is actually very meticulous about how even most little details point in certain directions in retrospect. (For instance, the whole model show thing is eventually revealed to actually be spoiler[an exercise by Lacia towards learning how to control the masses without them being aware that they're being controlled,] but it takes something like 15 episodes for that to become evident.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EiMs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:34 pm Reply with quote
So if I understand you correctly you are saying some people just have too short attention spam? Like you said episode 2 you think it's pointless episode. Episode 16 explains everything. So it's about 3 months if you follow it then it's airing or 13 episodes if you watch it after airing.

Last edited by EiMs on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
EiMs wrote:
So if I understand you correctly you are saying some people just have too short attention spam? Like you said episode 2 you think it's pointless episode. Episode 16 explains everything. So it's about 3 months if you follow it then it's airing or 13 episodes if you watch it after airing.

Yes, but obviously if you watch it now you'll have a much better advantage since you can binge it all and watch the plot threads unfold.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2