• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 3rei!! Anime Digitally

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Great. I look forward to more broadcast edits.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:18 pm Reply with quote
DDragonking wrote:
Wow was wondering what would happen to the series since it's not with Sentai anymore, glad that Funimation got it for a few reasons.

1. Hopefully they'll release the movie and future seasons in dub/simuldub and keep some of the cast.
2. IT'S NOT ANIPLEX!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
3. IT'S NOT ANIPLEX!!!

Lol the main reason it's not Aniplex is because it isn't an ANX property. Although I do know of at least one show that AoA has licensed that their Japanese counterpart didn't own the rights to (God Eater, which came from Bandai Visual), so that's not to say that them getting it would be impossible.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I don't understand hte point of digital purchasing anime. Streaming is cheap and the quality is the same as digital purchase. The only logical reasons to BUY anime is to get higher quality, and for collection purchases. Digital purchase doesn't apply to either of those reasons. But yeah, odd to see this one there to begin with

While I do prefer to own things physically (want those BDs on the shelf), I can at least get where some might come from with the digital purchase. Bandwidth. If you buy the thing digitally then you'll only need to download it once. While if you are streaming it and want to rewatch episodes that's a repeat hit on your internet. For anyone with a monthly cap, that's not easy to work around. Though for that reason I wouldn't even buy it digitally and instead get a physical copy to limit any downloading at all.
EnragedOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Preparation for F/GO Prilya event!
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:07 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Catsplay wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I don't see the point in Funimation having this license because the show does not seem that big to be worth the trouble.

Uh Prisma Illya is pretty big, especially in Japan.

I was referring to its popularity in North America, not Japan. I know that it is a huge franchise in Japan. But in R1, outside of fate/Zero, the franchise does not seem that big/popular.

It's huge in both Japan and the US because Fate/Grand Order. Aniplex has been reported to earn US $1.8 billion in revenue in the last fiscal year, with much attributed to Fate/Grand Order. Net profit has been reported to be US $312 million. Fate/Zero isn't the only relevant part of the franchise, F/GO has brought TONS of new people into it and opened up and expanded the franchise.

There's a reason we're now getting the Fate movies in theaters, Netflix licensing as many of the series it can get its hands on, and why advertising at big events like Anime Expo had Fate/Grand Order posted everywhere. I don't understand the whole "I don't know why FUNimation would pick this up" line when it's clear Fate IS BIG over here and people want to support it. That's why they picked up the license, duh.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:25 am Reply with quote
Interesting news, but give me a ring when Carnival Phantasm is licensed Wink
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:35 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I was referring to its popularity in North America, not Japan. I know that it is a huge franchise in Japan. But in R1, outside of fate/Zero, the franchise does not seem that big/popular.

I thought UBW and the recent Heaven's Feel movies did well here didn't they? Also isn't FGO becoming pretty big in the states?

I don't know the sales numbers, but at least Stay Night's adaptations seem to be not too far off in popularity from Zero on sites like MAL (Fate/Zero: 43, Fate Zero 2nd Season: 80, Deen/Stay Night: 87, UBW 1st season: 107, UBW Second Season: 171). The more peripheral anime entries don't seem quite as popular, including Prisma Illya, but there must be some reason Netflix has gotten a number of the anime in the franchise.

Grand Order seems to be doing well, getting 3 million users before its first anniversary.

The Prisma Illya 3rei manga is actually really well regarded with the fanbase if you look at it's score 8.29 on MAL and the movie adaptation of the Flashback arc with a score of 8.05. The series is awesome even with the stigma of "LOLIS ARE BAD".

Source 1: https://myanimelist.net/manga/36131/Fate_kaleid_liner_Prisma☆Illya_3rei?q=Fate%20Kaleid%20Liner%20Prisma%20Illya%203rei

Source 2: https://myanimelist.net/anime/34100/Fate_kaleid_liner_Prisma☆Illya_Movie__Sekka_no_Chikai
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:50 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I don't understand hte point of digital purchasing anime. Streaming is cheap and the quality is the same as digital purchase. The only logical reasons to BUY anime is to get higher quality, and for collection purchases. Digital purchase doesn't apply to either of those reasons. But yeah, odd to see this one there to begin with

For quality it depends on the digital version I suppose, but it still wouldn't be as good as the blurays. However, there is another more significant reason for buying, whether online digital purchases or disc versions: home video changes and/or extras.

VanGosroth wrote:
Great. I look forward to more broadcast edits.

Yeah that's the big question hanging over all of these Funimation shows made available on Amazon for purchase, especially from the CR license deals. Are we getting the home video version or the broadcast version? Like with Mayoiga / The Lost Village, I have no idea. I would not be surprised if they took the easy way out and just put up the same videos as the streams. At this point I'm taking the pessimistic view and expecting Fate/kalied TV version instead of the BD version being put up for purchase.

But for Highschool DxD Hero simuldub digital purchases on Amazon,we definitely know those are the (non-ATX) broadcast versions.

Also, are the subtitled digital versions softsubbed or hardsubbed?
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:10 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
The series is awesome even with the stigma of "LOLIS ARE BAD".

It's anime, you don't get a lot of that, don't worry. You'll get used to the kissing joke, and there's no visual fanservice.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:09 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
Catsplay wrote:
The series is awesome even with the stigma of "LOLIS ARE BAD".

It's anime, you don't get a lot of that, don't worry. You'll get used to the kissing joke, and there's no visual fanservice.

I...I know. I'm a huge fan of the franchise and I have no issue with the fanservice, I love Kuro lol. There's plenty of bathing scenes and such with Prisma, and the OVAs are definitely fanservice filled, but besides that it doesn't ruin the narrative whatsoever.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:16 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:

Aside from the various scenes of bare naked Illya and Chloe in baths rubbing and molesting each other, sure. No visual fanservice Laughing

Honestly surprised the Prisma Illya series got licensed at all.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:17 am Reply with quote
Nah, nothing. Everything is played for jokes.
Of course it got licensed, they downplayed the fanservice that the manga had so that there would be no problem.
You don't need to exaggerate and meme around.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:05 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Sunny milk wrote:

Aside from the various scenes of bare naked Illya and Chloe in baths rubbing and molesting each other, sure. No visual fanservice Laughing

Honestly surprised the Prisma Illya series got licensed at all.

The previous three seasons were licensed and released awhile ago though, and considering it's still Fate and has a pretty damn good story and action it's not really surprising the series has gotten licensed. These comments are kinda annoying really lol.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:51 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Since Funimation has easy access to the Sentai cast, I doubt they would outsource the dub to LA. Plus, it’s not like Fate hasn’t had a number of changes throughout the different casts.

Sure but unlike the Sentai casts those others casts (which have been kinda consistent throughout its run in the states) are good. It would really make the most sense to either outsource the whole thing or at the very least get Stephanie Sheh, Bryce Papenbrook, and Mela Lee to come back and play Illya, Shiro, and Rin respectively.

Clearly Funi can get Papenbrook and Sheh, but Mela Lee would be the outlier since the only Funi dubs she's been in to my knowledge are the outsourced ones like SDS.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:39 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
The Prisma Illya 3rei manga is actually really well regarded with the fanbase if you look at it's score 8.29 on MAL and the movie adaptation of the Flashback arc with a score of 8.05. The series is awesome even with the stigma of "LOLIS ARE BAD".

Source 1: https://myanimelist.net/manga/36131/Fate_kaleid_liner_Prisma☆Illya_3rei?q=Fate%20Kaleid%20Liner%20Prisma%20Illya%203rei

Source 2: https://myanimelist.net/anime/34100/Fate_kaleid_liner_Prisma☆Illya_Movie__Sekka_no_Chikai

Actually I think the series is very good, and I’ve seen everything but the movie, given its unavailablity in the US. But it clearly only gets a fraction of the audience that some of the other parts of the franchise get.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3