• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 3rei!! Anime Digitally

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
I don't understand the whole "I don't know why FUNimation would pick this up" line when it's clear Fate IS BIG over here and people want to support it. That's why they picked up the license, duh.

My question is why haven't CR/Funi dubbed and released Prisma Illya 3rei!! on BD 2 years after it started airing. Perhaps you are overestimating the importance of the title.

And your condescending tone is unnecessarily.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Catsplay wrote:
I don't understand the whole "I don't know why FUNimation would pick this up" line when it's clear Fate IS BIG over here and people want to support it. That's why they picked up the license, duh.

My question is why haven't CR/Funi dubbed and released Prisma Illya 3rei!! on BD 2 years after it started airing. Perhaps you are overestimating the importance of the title.

Because it was in licensing hell obviously. Sentai up to this point had always licensed and released the series so something interfered with that. I'm not overestimating the importance of one of my all time favorite series (I've already proven how its successful and all you've done is go "Nuh uh"), and you've been far more condescending in this this thread then I have been. I don't even know why you're here since all you're saying amounts to "I don't see how this series is popular and why FUNimation is wasting their time" in a thread with fans of the series in it.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Catsplay wrote:
The Prisma Illya 3rei manga is actually really well regarded with the fanbase if you look at it's score 8.29 on MAL and the movie adaptation of the Flashback arc with a score of 8.05. The series is awesome even with the stigma of "LOLIS ARE BAD".

Source 1: https://myanimelist.net/manga/36131/Fate_kaleid_liner_Prisma☆Illya_3rei?q=Fate%20Kaleid%20Liner%20Prisma%20Illya%203rei

Source 2: https://myanimelist.net/anime/34100/Fate_kaleid_liner_Prisma☆Illya_Movie__Sekka_no_Chikai

Actually I think the series is very good, and I’ve seen everything but the movie, given its unavailablity in the US. But it clearly only gets a fraction of the audience that some of the other parts of the franchise get.

That's true for over here but like I pointed out it's pretty big in Japan. You don't get 4 anime seasons, a movie, and a 5th season incoming if you're not raking in the cash. Also I suspect once Prisma characters are introduced through the Prisma event in the english Fate/Grand Order that will change. There are ways to watch the movie online and since nobody has licensed it I would say you should try to find it. It's pretty damn good (Also the original source manga too).
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Chiyosuke wrote:
Although I do know of at least one show that AoA has licensed that their Japanese counterpart didn't own the rights to (God Eater, which came from Bandai Visual), so that's not to say that them getting it would be impossible.

There was also Expelled From Paradise which they got from Toei.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Catsplay wrote:

Because it was in licensing hell obviously.

Not, it was not in licensing hell. CR licensed the show and streamed it. They had an agreement with Kadokawa at the time, so Sentai wouldn’t have been able to license it regardless. Most of aren’t questioning why CR and Funi licensed it, but why they waited so long to finally do something with it, and will they actually dub and release it on home video in the future.

Must people aren’t bothered by the show being licensed. But it was a disservice to its fans for CR and Funimation to wait two years to show any movement on the title, and to only do sub-only digital downloads on Amazon. But at least it’s something, and hopefully we will hear more about it in the future.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Makes me wish Funi could redub the entire series. At least then I could be confident that they could at least get Stephanie Sheh, Bryce Papenbrook, and Mela Lee to reprise their roles from the other Fate series.

Didn't Aniplex dub the other Fate seasons? I don't think Funi has ever owned the license to a Fate anime.

actually they did a license rescue of fate/stay night when geneon went six feet under!

also for those that want the original FSN cast to do prisma illya, ITS NEVER GONNA HAPPEN , and its for a multitude of reasons for it!

the most obvious reasons are those union/non-union rules as well that prisma have way too much of the loli/yuri/ecchi fanservice for some VAs to handle! (Girls Bravo & Tengo Tenge anyone?) which is why some of them have optioned would clearly use aliases, and it would be more than a given if LA union members like those three who might be against having their names be labeled in an uber fanservice series like this, they would more than likely use aliases too!

if it wasn't the case then they would have been use that cast all the way back to season one and they would have used sam regal (shiro's original VA) instead of byrce (which is also unlikely since its starting to look like that VA have also transitioned to do exclusively voice US cartoons like the ninja turtles). so i'm afraid that possibility is nothing more than a pipe dream to say the least.

there is also the worst case scenario is that funi might just pull a to love ru or zero no tsukaima and just have this season of prisma illya and the movie a sub only release which is something no one wants.

but at least its not being distributed by aniplex of america which would have had their versions RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE and they would DEFINITELY have them sub only!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Makes me wish Funi could redub the entire series. At least then I could be confident that they could at least get Stephanie Sheh, Bryce Papenbrook, and Mela Lee to reprise their roles from the other Fate series.

Didn't Aniplex dub the other Fate seasons? I don't think Funi has ever owned the license to a Fate anime.

actually they did a license rescue of fate/stay night when geneon went six feet under!

also for those that want the original FSN cast to do prisma illya, ITS NEVER GONNA HAPPEN , and its for a multitude of reasons for it!

the most obvious reasons are those union/non-union rules as well that prisma have way too much of the loli/yuri/ecchi fanservice for some VAs to handle! (Girls Bravo & Tengo Tenge anyone?) which is why some of them have optioned would clearly use aliases, and it would be more than a given if LA union members like those three who might be against having their names be labeled in an uber fanservice series like this, they would more than likely use aliases too!

if it wasn't the case then they would have been use that cast all the way back to season one and they would have used sam regal (shiro's original VA) instead of byrce (which is also unlikely since its starting to look like that VA have also transitioned to do exclusively voice US cartoons like the ninja turtles). so i'm afraid that possibility is nothing more than a pipe dream to say the least.

there is also the worst case scenario is that funi might just pull a to love ru or zero no tsukaima and just have this season of prisma illya and the movie a sub only release which is something no one wants.

but at least its not being distributed by aniplex of america which would have had their versions RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE and they would DEFINITELY have them sub only!

When it comes to dubbing don't ever underestimate if a company can get a cast back together, Sentai Filmworks also hired Bang Zoom to do the Persona 4: The Animation dub and no one thought that was gonna happen, Funimation outsourced the English dub of Hellsing Ultimate so you never know, it's not like they can't get Bryce Papenbrook and Stephanie Sheh to do voice work for them, they are in a few Funimation titles.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:

When it comes to dubbing don't ever underestimate if a company can get a cast back together, Sentai Filmworks also hired Bang Zoom to do the Persona 4: The Animation dub and no one thought that was gonna happen, Funimation outsourced the English dub of Hellsing Ultimate so you never know, it's not like they can't get Bryce Papenbrook and Stephanie Sheh to do voice work for them, they are in a few Funimation titles.

Those are titles with higher sales potential than Ilya. Ilya has nowhere near the popularity of the other Fate series, or to the other titles you mentioned. CR could outsource the dub to LA as well, but that would just make it inconsistent with the rest of the show.

Anyway, speculating about what they will do with the dub is sort of pointless and premature right now. We don’t even know if CR and Funimation have any plans for the show beyond this.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:05 am Reply with quote
Sentai lost this show? spoiler[I approve as the Fate/kaleid dub made Rin sound like a 40 year old woman]
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:29 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Sentai lost this show? spoiler[I approve as the Fate/kaleid dub made Rin sound like a 40 year old woman]

Sentai never had this season. CR has an exclusivity deal with Kadokowa during the season it came out. Sentai still has the previous seasons.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Chiyosuke wrote:
Although I do know of at least one show that AoA has licensed that their Japanese counterpart didn't own the rights to (God Eater, which came from Bandai Visual), so that's not to say that them getting it would be impossible.

That I didn't know. So 2 in their entire catalog
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:

that might be the case, but it all changes once a series have a massive fanservice pandering like this series. many highly popular VAs tend to use aliases while voicing for anime series that fit into the ecchi/fanservice genre , especially miss sheh who used aliases for tengo tenge & girls bravo. hell even ash ketchum's old VA and yugi moto's VA used aliases while in voice roles during queens blade's run and it wasnt due to a union/non-union rule. same thing applied when sentai licensed samurai girls/bride!

its not unusual at the slightest and if crunchyroll does indeed decide to produce an english dub version for this season and the movie, dont be surprised if the VA choose to use aliases as well.

however, its possible they could just say "oh just screw this!" and get the old sentai cast to reprise their roles, and in my opinion, its for the best if they do that! using texas VAs wont cost as much as using LA union VAs like those two!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Chiyosuke wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Chiyosuke wrote:

That I didn't know. So 2 in their entire catalog

There might be more. They have a couple of shows that Aniplex was on the production committee, but they may not have necessarily handled the international licensing. But imagine having your parent company on the production committee would help.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:39 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:

that might be the case, but it all changes once a series have a massive fanservice pandering like this series. many highly popular VAs tend to use aliases while voicing for anime series that fit into the ecchi/fanservice genre , especially miss sheh who used aliases for tengo tenge & girls bravo. hell even ash ketchum's old VA and yugi moto's VA used aliases while in voice roles during queens blade's run and it wasnt due to a union/non-union rule. same thing applied when sentai licensed samurai girls/bride!

its not unusual at the slightest and if crunchyroll does indeed decide to produce an english dub version for this season and the movie, dont be surprised if the VA choose to use aliases as well.

however, its possible they could just say "oh just screw this!" and get the old sentai cast to reprise their roles, and in my opinion, its for the best if they do that! using texas VAs wont cost as much as using LA union VAs like those two!

Why would the VAs feel the need to use alias when the VAs that did the first three seasons obviously didn't feel the need to do so? The fanservice only lessens as the series goes on too (Yes it's still Fate so there's more of a focus on action and plot), with literally no fanservice being present in the movie itself. The series has already been dubbed in the past, it shouldn't be hard to get VAs to dub the 4th season and movie. FUNimation dubs Highschool DxD for god's sake (and yes there are lolis in DxD too), it's not like Prisma Illya is the most "Forbidden" ecchi title they've ever gotten, and ecchi is just a side thing to Prisma, it still doesn't appear every episode.
TheExile285

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
So I'm guessing there's probably no chance of this and the movie getting licensed now that the CR x Funi deal is over?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3