• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Drastic Character Design Changes [2018-07-14]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peno

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:17 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

He obviously wouldn't be smoking everytime he cooks since that would make it awfully hard for him to taste his own food to make sure it's right.

With this you actually pointed another interesting thing. Sommeliers and chefs nowadays are preferred to be nonsmokers, because smoking could negatively affect their their tastes as well as smell, which is as important as taste for these professions. How could you trust chain smoker to taste and smell the food right? Nowadays, it seems, a lot of people simply doesn't Wink
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
So tell me why isn't any of Kia Asamiya's work not on that list of "drastic changes". Can we say, Martian Spaceship Nadesico? Chrono Crusade? Real Bout Hight School that manga that Tokyopop put years ago. Totally different designs. I am not crazy about 'Keiji Gotoh designs. And of course my favorite 'Iczer-1' and 'BGC'. But then again 2040 was a different beast all together.

Oh and let's not forget 'Elfen Lied'. Talk about a massive change.

Oh yes, I have that Hirokazu design book during the height of his 'My-HiME days. Talk about a massive design change. This is an example of same artist but I changed. Kia Asamiya and Shirow are also good examples. But Kia Asamiya even more so because of what his earlier work looked like from the 80's and 90's. Shirow has changed too.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Still prefer the look of Sailor Moon Crystal seasons one and two over three. Wish Toei gave it the care it deserves and I think it could have looked really nice.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:15 am Reply with quote
Is this list supposed to be a subtle jab at the awful looking She-Ra/Thundercats reboots? The timing just seems pretty convenient.

One example of a good change was Soul Eater. Okubo's early chapters looked really rough and off, and I'm glad Bones changed the style. Yu-Gi-Oh also had some really wonky early art. The Toei series used it, but the reboot thankfully used the more modern Takahashi style.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:

With this you actually pointed another interesting thing. Sommeliers and chefs nowadays are preferred to be nonsmokers, because smoking could negatively affect their their tastes as well as smell, which is as important as taste for these professions. How could you trust chain smoker to taste and smell the food right? Nowadays, it seems, a lot of people simply doesn't Wink

I guess the same way you'd trust them not to get carried away with indulging themselves on the cooking wine
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3