• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Who Dominated Dubs Before Funimation?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's too bad Sentai Filmworks hasn't caught up to any of these others. They share a lot of the same talent pool as Funimation, but somehow Funimation seems to get more out of the same actors than Sentai is capable of.

I've thought about this a lot. At first I thought that it was that the actors that Sentai started to get Post-ADV era were just worse than Funi's stable, but that was obviously a lie when Emily Neves, Katelyn Barr, Adam Gibbs, and a few others came over and essentially started killing it with performances (I still consider Oreki to be one of Gibbs' best roles).

At the end of the day I think it comes down to the directors. Essentially Funi's are better than Sentai's and are able to get much more out of the actors that come their way. That's not to say Sentai doesn't have good directors though. Conversely, most Funi actors that go to Houston don't sound as good.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
They contracted studios. CPM often used NYAV Post. Animeigo used primarily Coastal Carolina, now Coastal Studios, which hasn’t done any dubs since.

Coastal Carolina also did a few things for Media Blasters, including the legendary Shinesman dub, one of the best dubs ever made that treated the material with the respect it deserved. (Not a veiled insult, the original material was parody.)
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
An Average Aspie wrote:
I still cringe over people thinking most shows are from/dubbed by Funi Especially on older(heh) shows like Air or Kanon (though they might expire sooner or later).

Air and Kanon were dubbed by ADV Studios. Funimation license-rescued the series during the big ADV implosion.
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:

Most of Netflix's licensed anime they dub through Bob Buchholz's company, Spliced Bread Productions, who in recent years has dubbed Devilman Crybaby, Knights of Sidonia, Violet Evergarden, Ajin, GANTZ:O, Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman, ID-0, In This Corner of the World, Kuromukuro, the new season of YoKai Watch, Fate/Apocrypha, and a bunch more. They primarily use the recording studio SDI Media.

Netflix seems to avoid using Bang Zoom! if they can, only hiring them for The Seven Deadly Sins, B: The Beginning, and Sword Gai.

You're a little bit off there. Both Fate/Apocrypha and the recently streamed Fate/Extra Last Encore were recorded at Bang Zoom. Granted that seems to mostly be for consistency's sake (even if Netflix's general refusal to do union dubs means a couple of characters got recasted) but they did go to Bang Zoom for them. Cyborg 009: Call of Justice and Kakeguri were also Bang Zoom dubs so Netflix is willing to use them on occasion.

As for why they tend to use SDI Media/Spliced Bread more than Bang Zoom my guess is that it has more to do with speed than anything. While we've all harped on Netflix for waiting till after shows finish airing in Japan to start streaming them, the gap between the end of the TV broadcast and Netflix's streams is generally 3-4 weeks and baring a few exceptions, Bang Zoom has generally steered clear of simuldubs so their dubs take more time to produce. It's a shame because SDI Media/Spliced Bread's dubs have been somewhat inconsistent where as Bang Zoom is pretty much always reliable but they're used somewhat.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I must be getting really old.

I too was trying to think back to what major studio was a large dubbing force prior to Funimation and couldn't think of any in particular. I may be speaking for myself but most of what I remember prior to Funimation was prominent roles from recognizable VAs (Mike Reynolds, Julie Maddelena, Matt Miller, etc) more so than a particular studio. If anything the moment I began to think of a "studio" itself as recognizable was ADV.

The production issues that a lot of publishers faced is interesting to point out in that prior to DVDs most subtitled anime was more expensive than dubbed works, simply because all the equipment and work exhausted to subtitle a particular IP was often more difficult than finding people to act out translated lines. At that time releases in the United States were split at retail where applicable, with anywhere from $25-$35 for a subtitled tape and $20-$30 for a dubbed tape. As a younger fan I often bought dubbed simply because it was cheaper in the long run; I never even fathomed the whole sub/dub argument whatsoever and was solely focused on saving money. Of course the disadvantage here is that there were a great many amount of releases that never saw a dubbed version, and it's only been in more recent times that I've attempted to revisit some of those older series.

One thing that could probably be done if someone had the ability - or time - is to look at all the old sales figures that were tracked in the 90s and get a good idea of what people were buying. I remember well that Diamond Distribution Company's pre orders for anime were tracked monthly in Animerica mag. The top five, dubbed or subbed, were listed monthly, and until bi-lingual DVDs came along dubs would typically fill the slots.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I_Drive_DSM wrote:

The production issues that a lot of publishers faced is interesting to point out in that prior to DVDs most subtitled anime was more expensive than dubbed works, simply because all the equipment and work exhausted to subtitle a particular IP was often more difficult than finding people to act out translated lines. At that time releases in the United States were split at retail where applicable, with anywhere from $25-$35 for a subtitled tape and $20-$30 for a dubbed tape. As a younger fan I often bought dubbed simply because it was cheaper in the long run; I never even fathomed the whole sub/dub argument whatsoever and was solely focused on saving money. Of course the disadvantage here is that there were a great many amount of releases that never saw a dubbed version, and it's only been in more recent times that I've attempted to revisit some of those older series.

Actually, that had nothing to do with the pricing discrepancy. They had the equipment anyway, as it was often used to create the video credits anyway. The reason for the difference in price was due to sales. The subtitled editions sold less and had fewer copies produced, so the cost per VHS tape was higher. There has to be two separate print runs, as opposed to only one for bilingual DVD.
An Average Aspie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

Air and Kanon were dubbed by ADV Studios. Funimation license-rescued the series during the big ADV implosion.

I thought my comment implied that. "From" was for originally licensed, dubbed and released at the mentioned company. Air and Kanon were not "From" funi originally. Too lazy to edit atm.

Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
At the end of the day I think it comes down to the directors. Essentially Funi's are better than Sentai's and are able to get much more out of the actors that come their way. That's not to say Sentai doesn't have good directors though. Conversely, most Funi actors that go to Houston don't sound as good.

Think its more in lines with the chase method being a somewhat challenging way of performing for some Funi actors which is another reason why some don't make the trip and effort. Though directors can be another issue too. Heard Caitlin Glass mention having huge difficulties doing work over at ADV back in the day due to the chase method which took a long time to adapt until she stuck in Dallas.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Not gonna lie, I miss anime dubs from Ocean Group. A lot of voices from those dubs are just great, but you don't really hear them anymore, at least not in anime.

How I exactly feel. I miss so many voices that I would like to see in anime. Such a waste.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:18 am Reply with quote
Many thanks for Justin for giving explanation to something I don't think I have ever wondered (not sarcasm).
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:55 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@invalidname

Viz didn't have the license for Urusei Yatsura, AnimEigo did. You are probably thinking of one of the other long running Takahashi series.

Sorry, should have checked. I did indeed think of Ranma and Maison Ikkoku first, and then said “well, Lum came out here before those, so I’ll just put that in the parenthetical.”
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:52 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
I've thought about this a lot. At first I thought that it was that the actors that Sentai started to get Post-ADV era were just worse than Funi's stable, but that was obviously a lie when Emily Neves, Katelyn Barr, Adam Gibbs, and a few others came over and essentially started killing it with performances (I still consider Oreki to be one of Gibbs' best roles).

Jad Saxton sounded just as good in Food Wars, as she did any Funimation show. And Ian Sinclair in Ushio & Tora was probably one of his best performances alongside Space Dandy. I saw the show subbed first, but now I can not even picture what his character would be like in the sub.

There is the chase that someone else mentioned, but I also think it comes down to them just doing things differently, not a lack of talent. Funimation feels very conservative, it's translated well with some tweaks, the voice actors fit their role and maybe add their own touches. And all this is I suppose what most fans what, and possibly because they started with action shonens, they are really good at those types of shows.

With Sentai they feel more loose and depending on the director, take more liberties, and wander more outside, but not too much, of what they are adapting. The Hick accents they give people from rural parts of Japan is a great example. Or if the characters in a comedy are zany, they dial that up a bit more. And this approach seems less favourable to most people. So if someone is of the mindset that Sentai need to "catch up with Funimation", then they are unlikely to ever like their dubs, as they are looking at it all wrong.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Is it just me or does anyone else think the praises here are more for the shows than the dubs? "Nerima Daikon Brothers? Never heard of it. Ghost Stories? It's Foster so you know it's crap. Excel Saga?"..."I'm sure there's something about it not worth mentioning. Evangelion? Isn't that Funimation?"

Anyway, I'd go with "confusion and a bunch of lies" dominated the dub scene prior to Funimation. And with that, some of my favorite dubs are mid 2000 ADV efforts like Pani Poni Dash and Best Student Council, as well as the previous ones mentioned. See Monica Rial… before she's still Monica Rial? And there's this show called Princess Tutu...

Prior to 2000, it's more a matter of "I don't care." I don't mind the shows, I just don't care to watch them again. Or like with Bebop, at all.
"Animaze is animazing! Look at their output"
Look at what they started with? And didn't they spend longer producing their dubs... or was it just the scripting? I know the whole localization process took longer back then but I'm not sure which parts took the longest.
Probably the parts that were cheapest so... scripting, right?
Hey now, the Ghost Stories dub is a national treasure.

One persons treasure is another person's trash. The Ghost Stories dub is trash, IMO.

I haven't seen anyone mention Coastal Studios. The You're under Arrest dub is one of my all time favorites to this day.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
A lot of LA dubbing work is starting to come back thanks to Netflix, who dubs all their anime in Los Angeles (except for AICO which was dubbed in...Brazil? uhhh). Even non-Japanese foreign animation like Wakfu, which they took over the license for season 3, they re-cast the British English cast with an LA based cast.

Most of Netflix's licensed anime they dub through Bob Buchholz's company, Spliced Bread Productions, who in recent years has dubbed Devilman Crybaby, Knights of Sidonia, Violet Evergarden, Ajin, GANTZ:O, Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman, ID-0, In This Corner of the World, Kuromukuro, the new season of YoKai Watch, Fate/Apocrypha, and a bunch more. They primarily use the recording studio SDI Media.

Netflix seems to avoid using Bang Zoom! if they can, only hiring them for The Seven Deadly Sins, B: The Beginning, and Sword Gai.

AICO was dubbed in Miami. Not much anime has ever been done there in English, but the new Captain Tsubasa is also being recorded there. Don't know if it's the same studio as AICO, though.

I've heard conflicting information on who handles the dubs for Netflix. There's reason to believe Netflix themselves have little input on that and it instead falls upon the individual production committees to contract that out. That may be why we tend to see all foreign language dubs for a Netflix show produced by those big multi-national localization houses (BTI Studios, Iyuno Media Group, SDI Media, etc.) even if the work they produce isn't exactly acceptable (a problem that seems to happen more often with non-English dubs).
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Ocean probably got the most work in the 90s simply because they were the best at the time. Even today, their dubs for Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, Gundam Wing, and the Galaxy Railways movies still hold up. They're not perfect, but they're solid, professional work. Ocean's had some mediocre dubs, but never any outright awful ones (in terms of voice acting). Animaze was usually good, but they had some stinkers like the Gundam movie trilogy. ADV was very hit-and-miss in the 90s, and so was TAJ in New York.

New Generation (Hellsing, Read or Die, Ikki Tousen) is probably the best now, followed closely by NYAV Post (Berserk, your name., Gundam UC). I also enjoy most of Studiopolis' work (Naruto, Bleach, Sailor Moon).

Coastal Carolina was another terrific studio in the 90s. Their dubs for You're Under Arrest, Oh My Goddess OVAs, Blue Submarine No. 6, and even Virtua Fighter still hold up well. Their only stinker was their weird dub for Lupin III: The Fuma Conspiracy. Clamp School Detectives wasn't amazing either. Too bad they don't get any work anymore. They were far better than the other studios AnimEigo worked with (Southwynde, Swirl, etc).
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
ADV definitely held the title for most output, regardless of quality, before the bubble burst. Seeing subtitle-only releases from ADV was weird, but definitely a sign of the end times for them. I wish more people were outsourcing to Ocean these days. It's a real disappointment that all of the new Gundam dubs (especially The Origin) aren't being done by Ocean. Animaze and Ocean always meant quality to the young me.

I think that one of the reasons that we so distinctly remember how great the dubs are for Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, etc. is because those dubs were high-quality dubs released at a time when 9 out of 10 releases on the shelf were cheap shovelware that ADV and CPM rushed to dub and push out that no one can even remember the name of now except when they see 40 unopened copies on the shelf at the local second-hand bookstore.

Note for others: Streamline =/= HGUSA. Carl Macek worked on a few things (most notably Robotech and Captain Harlock & The Queen of a Thousand Years) for HGUSA. Then he founded Streamline Pictures with Jerry Beck. Regardless of anyone's views on localization, Streamline was putting out the ONLY high-quality dubs at the time, and they were all (that I can remember) uncut. There's an episode of ANNcast where Justin and Zac interview Macek and I recommend it 100% to everyone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5