• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Who Dominated Dubs Before Funimation?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:09 am Reply with quote
I watch mostly Funi dubs but I do wish Geneon, Bandai USA, and CPM had not folded. If they were still around here and were streaming (be it on their site or a third-party) simulcasts and simuldubs, Funi would have more competition. Competition is good at times.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:28 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I watch mostly Funi dubs but I do wish Geneon, Bandai USA, and CPM had not folded. If they were still around here and were streaming (be it on their site or a third-party) simulcasts and simuldubs, Funi would have more competition. Competition is good at times.

We were THAT close to getting an ADV dub of Sgt. Frog, before the Bubble popped the studio.

...Competition sure would have helped. Sad
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:09 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
AICO was dubbed in Miami. Not much anime has ever been done there in English, but the new Captain Tsubasa is also being recorded there. Don't know if it's the same studio as AICO, though.

I've heard conflicting information on who handles the dubs for Netflix. There's reason to believe Netflix themselves have little input on that and it instead falls upon the individual production committees to contract that out. That may be why we tend to see all foreign language dubs for a Netflix show produced by those big multi-national localization houses (BTI Studios, Iyuno Media Group, SDI Media, etc.) even if the work they produce isn't exactly acceptable (a problem that seems to happen more often with non-English dubs).

Yeah, heard similar complaints about the Spanish Glitter Force dub which was also done in Miami with some of the same people.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:58 am Reply with quote
Interesting reading about the different dubbing studios.. as I am not a dub fan myself.
People tend to forget that Funimation was at one point the "evil" anime distributor back in the early 2000s. Almost universally hated due to the crap they would pull with titles like Kiddy Grade. Thank god they changed their tune when everyone else either went belly up or bailed out.. it was looking pretty bleak for awhile.

As for dub domination.. ADV hands down. They were dubbing everything and releasing tons back in the early 2000s.. then followed by Pioneer/Geneon and then Bandai. They where then followed by the smaller companies like Funimation and CPM and a whole bunch I don't remember anymore.

I just remember hearing the same 4 voice actors in every ADV dub at some point.. Hillary Haag (sp?) comes to mind.
Winger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
emory wrote:
A lot of LA dubbing work is starting to come back thanks to Netflix, who dubs all their anime in Los Angeles (except for AICO which was dubbed in...Brazil? uhhh). Even non-Japanese foreign animation like Wakfu, which they took over the license for season 3, they re-cast the British English cast with an LA based cast.

Most of Netflix's licensed anime they dub through Bob Buchholz's company, Spliced Bread Productions, who in recent years has dubbed Devilman Crybaby, Knights of Sidonia, Violet Evergarden, Ajin, GANTZ:O, Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman, ID-0, In This Corner of the World, Kuromukuro, the new season of YoKai Watch, Fate/Apocrypha, and a bunch more. They primarily use the recording studio SDI Media.

Netflix seems to avoid using Bang Zoom! if they can, only hiring them for The Seven Deadly Sins, B: The Beginning, and Sword Gai.

AICO was dubbed in Miami. Not much anime has ever been done there in English, but the new Captain Tsubasa is also being recorded there. Don't know if it's the same studio as AICO, though.

I've heard conflicting information on who handles the dubs for Netflix. There's reason to believe Netflix themselves have little input on that and it instead falls upon the individual production committees to contract that out. That may be why we tend to see all foreign language dubs for a Netflix show produced by those big multi-national localization houses (BTI Studios, Iyuno Media Group, SDI Media, etc.) even if the work they produce isn't exactly acceptable (a problem that seems to happen more often with non-English dubs).

That is happening a lot with the recent brazilian portuguese dubs produced by SDI Media. They are choosing a studio called Dubbing Company, from Campinas, that is not much experienced to do all their series. Yeah, the name of the studio is literally "Dubbing Company". Here is their ANN page: company#15080

Most of recent anime had crappy dubs in Brazil because of that, at the point that Violet Evergarden and Devilman Crybaby got crappy dubs in portuguese language, while Sword Gai, that is a terrible anime, got an amazing dub in Brazil, and because it was produced by VSI Group internationally, and not by SDI Media. It's weird and bizarre, but Brazil is suffering a lot with SDI and their work.
And not only with anime stuff, since SDI is dubbing a lot of other productions for Netflix and even other companies, as live action shows.

Also, Iyuno Media Group also did a terrible job with AICO Incarnation in Brazil too. As what happened in United States, with an unexperienced company (Studios VOA) doing the dub with an almost entire cast of newcomers, the same happened with the brazilian dub as well.
Miami, where the english dub was recorded, is not an experienced pool doing anime and voice-over in english. And the same goes for Curitiba, when the brazilian portuguese dub of AICO was recorded. This is also mentioned on the TV Tropes thread for the series too.

NJ_ wrote:
Primus wrote:

Yeah, heard similar complaints about the Spanish Glitter Force dub which was also done in Miami with some of the same people.

Not only the latin american spanish one, but the brazilian portuguese dub too. The brazilian portuguese dub of Glitter Force (the first one) was recorded in Miami as well.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
People tend to forget that Funimation was at one point the "evil" anime distributor back in the early 2000s. Almost universally hated due to the crap they would pull with titles like Kiddy Grade. Thank god they changed their tune when everyone else either went belly up or bailed out.. it was looking pretty bleak for awhile.

Out of curiosity, what happened with Kiddy Grade? I do remember the original responses to them getting Tenchi Muyo GXP & OVA 3 and Fullmetal Alchemist being very negative along with the complaints over their dubs at the time (not just specific to DBZ).
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Out of curiosity, what happened with Kiddy Grade? I do remember the original responses to them getting Tenchi Muyo GXP & OVA 3 and Fullmetal Alchemist being very negative along with the complaints over their dubs at the time (not just specific to DBZ).

Kiddy Grade was one of the first titles that Funimation released that was NOT DBZ.. what I remember them doing was releasing some discs with 2 episodes on it, in order to stretch out the number of discs in the series. I also believe there were some disc issues, but without going into a wayback machine.. I could be wrong.
Winger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Also, can Miami be a future big pool for english anime dubs as Los Angeles and Dallas/Houston are now?

I mean, they dubbed A.I.C.O. Incarnation and now are dubbing the new Captain Tsubasa too. It's something.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

Kiddy Grade was one of the first titles that Funimation released that was NOT DBZ.. what I remember them doing was releasing some discs with 2 episodes on it, in order to stretch out the number of discs in the series. I also believe there were some disc issues, but without going into a wayback machine.. I could be wrong.

ADV tried the two episode per disc release for Gantz initially too. There were more discs, but each volume was half the price of a normal single. In this case, they were just trying to offer the volumes at a lower price to gauge response. It wasn’t positive, and ADV never did it again.

Last edited by dragonrider_cody on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

Was that release the result of FUNimation's own policy or the policy of the licensor?
Quote:
Interesting reading about the different dubbing studios.. as I am not a dub fan myself.

They still are an evil anime distributor. They've just done a far better job covering their tracks.

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
thecritter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I quit listening to any of Funimation's dubs in the early 201X's. They came out with some of the most pathetically tone-deaf, character-butchering, amateurish, poorly-directed dubs I've seen, period. I need to give them a chance again, but . . .
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:56 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Funi's initial Kiddy Grade release never had any fewer than 3 episodes per volume. That did mean 24 episodes on 8 discs, which was a little more than the average, but it certainly wasn't unheard of at the time, or unique to Funimation. Other 2-cour series like Gasaraki (ADV), Vandread (Geneon), Trigun (Geneon), Tenchi Muyo GXP (Funimation again), and Ceres, Celestial Legend (Viz) also came out on 8 discs back in the early/mid-00s.

As for disc issues, I didn't recall any serious flaws when I recently rewatched the series via the 2006 collection, which I'm fairly sure contains the same discs as the singles. It's got alternate angles with JP credits available, and faithful subtitle translations that IIRC use some honorifics. The dub is somewhat on the liberal side, but it's not a censorship/rewrite fest, either. I'd say the widely-beloved Yu Yu Hakusho dub was more liberal. So other than the disc count / pricing, I'm not sure what objections fans had to Funi's Kiddy Grade.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
ADV tried the two episode per disc release for Gantz initially too. There were more discs, but each volume was half the price of a normal single. In this case, they were just trying to offer the volumes at a lower price to gauge response. It wasn’t positive, and ADV never did it again.
And as you likely know, they didn't even finish Gantz in that format -- they released the first half with a 3-2-2-2-2-2 breakdown, and went back to a more traditional 4-3-3-3 distribution for the 2nd half.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:00 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
And as you likely know, they didn't even finish Gantz in that format -- they released the first half with a 3-2-2-2-2-2 breakdown, and went back to a more traditional 4-3-3-3 distribution for the 2nd half.

Thanks, actually I didn’t know that. I didn’t really become familiar with Gantz until ADV’s thinpack releases. I was also lucky enough to get one of the metal sphere sets that didn’t get scratched. I only learned about the initial release after I saw someone complaining about it many several years later. Apparently they thought ADV released all their shows like that, and wasn’t aware it was a one time thing.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:25 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

Was that release the result of FUNimation's own policy or the policy of the licensor?

Referring to ADV doing 2 episodes per disc: I would guess it was something ADV experimented with, rather than a licensor requirement. It was done at a time when sticking to strictly legal methods of viewing meant that customers were asked to blind-buy a lot of shows, so a lower price per volume might have been a test to see if that would make people more willing to try a new series. Going from what Zalis said, ADV stopped doing that midway, and Japanese licensors are notorious for sticking with decisions, even if they aren't working, since changing means admitting a mistake.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Referring to ADV doing 2 episodes per disc: I would guess it was something ADV experimented with, rather than a licensor requirement. It was done at a time when sticking to strictly legal methods of viewing meant that customers were asked to blind-buy a lot of shows, so a lower price per volume might have been a test to see if that would make people more willing to try a new series. Going from what Zalis said, ADV stopped doing that midway, and Japanese licensors are notorious for sticking with decisions, even if they aren't working, since changing means admitting a mistake.

Blind purchases were a common thing only for the fact that anime was a niche market and many patrons purchased the tapes for the fact that they are acquiring anime for their collection. Saying that the 2-episode tape format was an experiment than a licensor requirement doesn't quite come off as functional in my view. Plus, this appears to contradict the notion that the 2-episode format was expected in a way to counter reverse importation concerns, if such concerns even existed in the first place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5