• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Who Dominated Dubs Before Funimation?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Winger wrote:
Also, can Miami be a future big pool for english anime dubs as Los Angeles and Dallas/Houston are now?

I mean, they dubbed A.I.C.O. Incarnation and now are dubbing the new Captain Tsubasa too. It's something.

I think two shows is too little to really gauge that as a long term thing. There have been Miami anime dubs in the past (Tamagotchi, Patta Pota Monta, B-Daman: Fire Spirits) but they're usually far and few between. They're also not exactly of the highest quality, which probably won't encourage more investment from established players.

Miami has been home to far more English dubs of French animation (largely thanks to Futurikon using Bright Way Productions almost exclusively) but unfortunately most of the same faults still apply.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:05 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to see a few people have called out New Generation Pictures. They didn't produce a huge volume of dubs, but their work on titles like Paranoia Agent, Haibane Renmei, and ROD the TV has to be on the short-list of best dubs ever made. Jonathan Klein and Taliesin Jaffe did fantastic directorial work, and all of their productions I've heard have this true sense of professionalism and care. I was especially impressed that they were able to get actual child actors for series like ROD the TV: I'm sure it added complications, but the results were just so much more authentic. I know they saw the writing on the wall and had to jump ship on anime work when the domestic industry bubble burst, but it's a damn shame they weren't able to produce anything more, other than the odd third-party continuation of a title like Hellsing Ultimate.

And if New Generation had several titles on the short-list of best dubs ever, Animaze pretty much was the short-list. You sit down and look at what they produced--Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, Big O, Trigun, GITS: Stand-Alone Complex--and it just blows you away. I was fortunate enough to have several of the shows they worked on be some of the first anime series I ever watched in full on [adult swim], and they wound up remaining some of my favorites in no small part due to their excellent dubs. Many of their usual stable of actors also worked with Bang Zoom!, who produced some great dubs themselves, but they always tended to be somewhat more variable in quality. Sadly we don't hear nearly as much of the California crew as we used to.

Ocean's another one I miss hearing on a regular basis. I don't know how many hours I spent watching Inuyasha reruns on [adult swim], so I wound up getting attached to a number of the Vancouver-based actors, and they did some great work on shows like Black Lagoon and Escaflowne, not to mention a whole mess of Gundam. I think Roberta's Blood Trail may be some of the last anime work they ever did.

As far as today's groups go, FUNi has so much experience at their disposal that even their worst efforts are at least competent, and they've produced any number of truly great dubs. A lot of ADV's work always seemed pretty shaky to me (with fantastic exceptions like Princess Tutu), but their reincarnation Sentai is at least somewhat improved, though not quite as polised as FUNi's work. Michael Sinterniklaas has done great work with NYAV Post, and it's great to hear some of the California-based actors who don't do as many dubs anymore pop up in theirs.
Winger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Winger wrote:
Also, can Miami be a future big pool for english anime dubs as Los Angeles and Dallas/Houston are now?

I mean, they dubbed A.I.C.O. Incarnation and now are dubbing the new Captain Tsubasa too. It's something.

I think two shows is too little to really gauge that as a long term thing. There have been Miami anime dubs in the past (Tamagotchi, Patta Pota Monta, B-Daman: Fire Spirits) but they're usually far and few between. They're also not exactly of the highest quality, which probably won't encourage more investment from established players.

Miami has been home to far more English dubs of French animation (largely thanks to Futurikon using Bright Way Productions almost exclusively) but unfortunately most of the same faults still apply.

Well, the point is just that Captain Tsubasa's english dub is seen to be produced by Viz Media, witch is a established player actually.
I would not be that surprised if more Miami dubs for anime licensed by Viz Media appear in the future, if they are really producing it and not other company.

Also, when it comes to english dubs, Miami does also a lot of work with latin american soup operas, foreign TV movies and TV series (like asian and european ones), reality shows and other stuff like those.

Also too, when it to anime dubbed in other languages, Miami also did stuff like Glitter Force (latin american spanish and brazilian portuguese), Gintama (brazilian portuguese), Soul Hunter/Houshin Engi (brazilian portuguese), Blue Dragon (brazilian portuguese) and a few more others.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
With Captain Tsubasa, I have a feeling Viz only picked up that show for Latin America. They've done 0 English promotion for it. I suspect Viz wasn't originally going to do an English dub of the new show, but V-me Media, the owners of Primo TV, were willing to change that. V-me is based out of Miami and I don't think it's a coincidence the dub is being recorded there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5