• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Konami Shuts Down Fan Remake of 'P.T.' Horror Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puniyo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Fabe wrote:
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Nobody gives Cease and Desists over the phone. This is incredibly and obviously fishy, and I'm disappointed at ANN for reporting it straight.

the article didn't say anything about a actual 'Cease and Desist'. sounds more like they just asked him to take it down without issuing a official C&D and he complied .

Yes, but doing so isn't "shutting down" anything. It's an informal request and there would be no need for him to comply yet. Moreover, why the hell would they do that? That itself is the huge red flag.

It's pretty normal for companies to make important discussions over the phone, even nowadays. They obviously probably emailed him beforehand to arrange it.
I'm assuming refusal to comply with the informal request would be followed by a legit C&D. But even if the staff enjoy his work, they're under obligation to protect their IPs and take this stuff down too. This is probably a comprimise on the staff's part after being told by the higher-ups to deal with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2