• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Hanebado! [2018-07-17]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cab329

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I don't think she needs to be jailed, since being a crappy parent isn't against the law, or at least not her brand of crappy parenting. Abandoning your kid with family isn't illegal. In the states the inlaws (or are they uchika's parents?) could have filed for guardianship or adoption since she would fit the criteria for abandonement but she didn't kick her out on the street...and sadly even that isn't always illegal.

But honestly, even if Uchika wasn't physically abusive, she was emotionally neglectful and traumatized her daughter in a way she has yet to try and make amends or show any regret over the trauma, she just walked out when she lost and then walked in when she heard she was doing well. So far, all we've seen is a woman who only seems to have affection for winners and values badminton above all else.

As for the episode, I liked it overall. I wish he show did give side characters more time to shine since I'm there were some nice touches and Gakkan's struggle even tied up nicely with Aragaki's plot, with the untalented but hardworking (I cringed at those calluses) deciding to forge ahead despite their limitations and past defeats. Honestly I just didn't get the one character saying "you don't have to fight so hard" . I didn't quite get that otherwise it had a lot of nice little touches and I only wish the show had let me get to k ow the side characters better beforehand this episode.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:35 pm Reply with quote
At this point it does look like Uchika is shaping into a generally incompetent/negligent parent, rather than a deliberately cruel one as framed by Ayano's memories previously. While this behavior is still inexcusable, at least there is potential this way for redemption and reconciliation for both parties. Uchika needs a slap in the face (figuratively) regarding the damage she's done to her daughter, and if/when that happens, it could be a revelatory moment for her; which in turn would likely affect her relationship with Ayano and help Ayano heal.
It would be nice if another character connected the dots, though; Elena, at the very least, should be able to figure it out, since she's fully aware of her friend's history. Maybe if Ayano lets slip her mother is back, Elena could march up to their house and give Uchika an earful - inciting the "slap in the face". I guess we'll see.

While I wanted to see more of the above this episode, I did still enjoy the other minor plots handled and resolved here. I like when a show can get some mileage out of its secondary characters, rather than just keeping them as set pieces; it gives the show's world a fuller sense of realism and immersion. It also helps balance out some of the more heavy-handed stuff in the main plot, which can get a bit overbearing sometimes. Here's to next episode!
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Well. What HAVE you seen? One thing... and made a ton of (valid) assumptions about it.

I'm not talking about we didn't see yet, I'm talking about what was already shown and we did see.
Need I see more to reproach her?
Even after seen her not trying to talk with Ayano in the last episode and just approaching her to blackmail her emotionally, seducing her to play more and better badminton?

Cab329 wrote:
Oh, I don't think she needs to be jailed, since being a crappy parent isn't against the law, or at least not her brand of crappy parenting. Abandoning your kid with family isn't illegal.

Parental(/Emotional) abandonment is child abuse and considered psychological violence.
At least where I live.
Cab329

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

Cab329 wrote:
Oh, I don't think she needs to be jailed, since being a crappy parent isn't against the law, or at least not her brand of crappy parenting. Abandoning your kid with family isn't illegal.

Parental(/Emotional) abandonment is child abuse and considered psychological violence.
At least where I live.

Not illegal though (in fairness, it takes a lot for abuse to be considered criminal)
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:58 am Reply with quote
Cab329 wrote:

Not illegal though (in fairness, it takes a lot for abuse to be considered criminal)

It's a crime in my kokoro, that's all that matters now.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I have a lot to say, but typing in murrican is tiresome.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
It does not appear that this show will end with Uchika being beaten to death with badminton rackets by Ayano and Connie, so I will probably not like the ending. The whole "people acting like raging jerks without anyone calling them out on it" shtick has gotten really old at this point. Elena's effort with Ayano in Ep 11 was nice, but it's too little, too late at this point. I expect her talk with Uchika will be lacking as well. Both Uchika and Ayano deserve people screaming at them "WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU!," but instead we get little or no reaction to behavior that's really out of line. Either through malice or cluelessness, Uchika is a terrible mother.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
So far they've handled how much Uchika sucks as a parent and its effects on Ayano really well, so I hope they don't backtrack last second with "but she loves Ayano and she was doing it for her good" and Ayano magically getting over everything. I don't ask for more.

I'm so glad Elena admited she made a mistake dragging Ayano back to badminton and the advisor called out the coach on his favouritism. Characters can act shitty, it just shouldn't be treated as justified.

I'm not sure how the match should end. Nagisa has her arc, but Ayano will go back to square zero if she doesn't get to reject her mom on her terms. I know the op hints to Nagisa doing rival therapy, but in the series proper it's like they want to make sure we know she has zero interest.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:16 am Reply with quote
Elena made no mistake in bringing back Ayano to the sport.
It was the "right" thing to do at the time, what got her in this state was everything that happened after with Kaoruko, Connie and Uchika.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
To me the point of the show , is to show how the drive to succeed goes out of control. My guess is Ayano was already like that before her mother left. Connie has it too , they both want to be better than Ayano's mom. This obsession with being the best is like a sickness and from what I have seen with people who suffer from it , it takes a rock bottom crash to overcome it or overwhelming success for a while then crash. . After that either they recover or are destroyed totally. If you have ever known someone like this you know you can't help them they have to figure it out for them selves. This may seem heartless but life has taught me this truth. The rest of the characters are there for contrast. If you look at the ED you see Ayano coming back to her team mates and that is what I expect the ending to be she recovers. As far as Connie and her mom even though normally they would be main characters I don't think they are in this show. I doubt we will get much closure on any other fronts with the possible exception of Aragaki. The beginning of the series showed her suffering from the overwhelming drive to succeed and even recently showing her just about breaking her knee but she seems to be open to couching and probably will be the real winner in a sense. Just my opinion , not long to wait for the end of it now
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote

Ok people, there are some things that need to be pointed and discussed in separate.
For example, the Coach. While he was and still is a really good coach to Nagisa she is the worst for Ayano. Even with the advisor complaining about his behavior with Ayano he only cares about Nagisa. His neglect helped worsen Ayano's situation.

The club member needed to speak about Ayano change of attitude post Connie.
She was integrating very well with the club but then starts to isolate herself and badmouthing everyone and they just stare silent this whole time? The anime needed to have scenes with them talking about this.

Elena, while she needed to be more active and questioner of Ayano's behavior of late, it's not a problem that she didn't passed information about Uchika to the club. You know, privacy and the fact that she doesn't really know much about what's happening.
Talking about Elana, I felt sorry for her.
She turned as one of Uchika's victims, she didn't said what needed to be said to Uchika but I understand that at the time she was feeling really bad with regret.
She wasn't wrong in convincing Ayano to enter the club. She was right, Ayano needed to learn to play badminton with others and have fun, and all would work well if not for Kaoruko, Connie and Uchika. Who could predict those three?

Talking about the episode, I didn't believed in the beginning but Nagisa's strategy made a lot of sense (now I understand her training so much while Ayano had no one to train). Then Ayano's frail state of mind did the rest of the work.
You know, I would love to see a "bad ending". Why not let the characters hit the bottom end? Why not letting the character completely brake, irremediably? But well... what also made sense was the pieces falling in place in Ayano's mind recovering her will to play. She was the whole time projecting her fears on others, and then when her trauma hit hardest she saw that she was wrong, the world wasn't against her, the people around her didn't want to see her suffer and abandon her. Is the lesson she needed to learn, seeing them being angry with her for losing for different reason than those she imagined.

And... Uchika.
Well, well, well... Uchika.
I hadn't see everything about how she abandoned her daughter however this new information only made her case worse.
I really need to explain here? She herself admits that she is wrong, though she don't understand that beyond being wrong, she is mentally will. That's the only explanation for how someone can have that logic. She is mentally will.

What will happen in the next episode?
Maybe it's more important for Ayano now to lose and see that the others remains by her side, but I have a feeling that she will win. And when they do what will be Uchika's reaction? Congratulate her daughter and "accept" her back for not giving up the game? Maybe, and then Ayano need to talk to her...
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Watching 12 made me think of EP 8 with Nozomi and Aragaki. For me the point of the match between Aragaki and Nozomi was Nozomi was not playing for the right reasons(the love of the sport) but only to win. The very last seen in 12 showed Ayano's expression had changed now comes the real battle I get the feeling Aragaki will prevail so Ayano can finally learn some humility. If you think about it Having Ayano being humbled is really the best result for her and also to teach her mom a lesson. Ayano will be able to return to the team in whole , learning what is like to be accepted and not being abandoned. Aragaki will finally achieve what she has been striving for for the last 3 years while Ayano will have 2 more years to reach her new goal which should be winning nationals and having a great time doing it. All her lashing out is typical of a person who is afraid to be rejected and goes on the offensive as a way to deal with there overwhelming insecurity. I have to say even with the disjointed way this show has played out I still really enjoyed it, how ever it works out I will have no problem watching this again.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they didn't try to justify Uchika. She just sucks that much as a mom and as an individual.

The solution to Ayano's problems is very forced. Aside of Elena, she has never connected with the others deeply enough for this cheering to outweight her trauma and recent desire for payback. And I still maintain it has never felt like she loved badminton at all, so fun and team aren't really a solution.

Most of the team are just naturally passive and acted the same way during Nagisa's own slump, but the coach still remains the worst and Nagisa doesn't care about Ayano even to defeat her, she has said several times she is feeling her "weaker older self". Can someone just take Ayano to a therapist please?
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
In an ideal world nothing would be complicated. As far as Ayano problem being forced I think we have seen several scenes where she has been questioning herself on why she plays and also some flash backs where she really did seem to be having fun and loving the sport while playing with her mom in the early days. Her recent proclamation of winning and abandoning her mother instead is a natural reaction for the rejection she feels, kind of like well screw her if she wants to be that way I will just be the same way I don't believe anyone is actually ever satisfied carrying out that type of revenge after all it does not change anything and will not make you feel better in the end. Also Ayano did decide she wanted to win for the team earlier in the anime indicating she did want to have a connection to them.

When it comes to the teams reactions I think they are quite realistic. if you look at a real life situation similar to the premise of this show most people would react similarly.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Mugen1style wrote:
Watching 12 made me think of EP 8 with Nozomi and Aragaki. For me the point of the match between Aragaki and Nozomi was Nozomi was not playing for the right reasons(the love of the sport) but only to win. The very last seen in 12 showed Ayano's expression had changed now comes the real battle I get the feeling Aragaki will prevail so Ayano can finally learn some humility. If you think about it Having Ayano being humbled is really the best result for her and also to teach her mom a lesson. Ayano will be able to return to the team in whole , learning what is like to be accepted and not being abandoned. Aragaki will finally achieve what she has been striving for for the last 3 years while Ayano will have 2 more years to reach her new goal which should be winning nationals and having a great time doing it. All her lashing out is typical of a person who is afraid to be rejected and goes on the offensive as a way to deal with there overwhelming insecurity. I have to say even with the disjointed way this show has played out I still really enjoyed it, how ever it works out I will have no problem watching this again.

The problem is those exaggerated faces they put on Ayano, is too caricate. But if you can see past that it's actually quite good.

Violet Park wrote:
I'm glad they didn't try to justify Uchika. She just sucks that much as a mom and as an individual.

The solution to Ayano's problems is very forced. Aside of Elena, she has never connected with the others deeply enough for this cheering to outweight her trauma and recent desire for payback. And I still maintain it has never felt like she loved badminton at all, so fun and team aren't really a solution.

Most of the team are just naturally passive and acted the same way during Nagisa's own slump, but the coach still remains the worst and Nagisa doesn't care about Ayano even to defeat her, she has said several times she is feeling her "weaker older self". Can someone just take Ayano to a therapist please?

I don't feel it was exaggerated.
Does it matter if she hadn't "connected" much with the others? What matter is her allowing then to connect with her. What terrified her there at that moment wasn't losing, it was what would happen if she lost. Now she can stop fearing the defeat and play, not just to win because there's more to a game than just wining and have a bit fun pushing her limits (see that despite being a "prodigy" the animation showed her body failing her) like Nagisa is telling her since the beginning.
And notice that it was AGAIN Ebina and Sora the ones who argued and convinced her, like the two had already done in episode 5 after she lost to Connie.

And talking about Connie, she is a good example of how mentally ill Uchika is.
So, she abandoned her daughter, went to another country, adopted another girl and... made the same mistakes. What Connie says to Ayano in episode 5? That if not to please her mother nothing matter.
Good job Uchika.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9