• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Hanebado! [2018-07-17]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Cab329 wrote:

Also hard work doesn't matter compared to talent. Oh I'm sure Aragaki will get a win or two but ultimately this is Hanesaki's show. Aragaki busted her butt everyday and even has some natural talent and is tall, while Hanesaki straight up didn't play for months and now is better than ever. The show made a comment about hard work being important but so far talent is pretty clearly the big decider.

But besides those few months Ayano played hard straight since she had 3 years.
It's not necessary talent in her case.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:41 am Reply with quote
Cab329 wrote:
What I find so weird about this show is that it's kind of an anti-sports show.

It would make sense if it was trying to be a sort of deconstruction ala Madoka Magica. It would explain a lot of stuff that looks like bad writting.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
So apparently the anime made the score in the Hanesaki-Kaoruko match a lot closer then it was in the manga. It appears the manga score was 21-7, 21-5 in Hanesaki's win.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Violet Park wrote:
It would make sense if it was trying to be a sort of deconstruction ala Madoka Magica. It would explain a lot of stuff that looks like bad writting.

I feel like it is more like the opposite of a deconstruction--rather than playing the cliches straight and taking the consequences of that seriously, Hanebado has turned most of its cast into cartoons by turning the tropes up to an absurd degree.
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:31 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, every time I see Ayano act like her old self I want to call her Hitokiri Bado-sai
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:41 am Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:
So apparently the anime made the score in the Hanesaki-Kaoruko match a lot closer then it was in the manga. It appears the manga score was 21-7, 21-5 in Hanesaki's win.

And it was pointed that she is not as strong as she was when she stopped playing, meaning she can be defeated.
It seems that they're building up a finale against Nagisa (to put her in the "right" path).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:49 am Reply with quote
Other than skimming through a couple early chapters to see the extreme difference in characterization (The one one I looked through, Nagisa was sick and a visiting Ayano was a talkative childish idiot) I haven't read the manga. But even I thought the close score was odd, as Ayano said she wanted to "grind her into the dirt" and I took her at her word. But these relatively close matches hardly qualified as doing so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote
A pity that the director and producer didn't throw away completly Ayano's character and her drama with her mother.
Hanebado IS good, IS well made, but every time Ayano and everything surrounding her appears on screen after episode 3, it's like a different anime that don't belongs with the rest.
And there's NO way Nagisa can win against her with that knee.
But I imagine that Ayano will have a mental meltdown during their match when she sees everyone, even her mother (can you believe her?) cheering against her.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
^I have a different theory, one where Ayano wins but loses at the same time. I haven't read the source so this is only speculation but I think spoiler[the coach pulls Nagisa before she gets a career (or even just season) ending injury, making Ayano win by default while robbing her of a true win, especially if Nagisa was on the way to making a comeback. Otherwise, what would Nozomi's coach telling the coach to do the right thing even if it makes them hate him be foreshadowing?]
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
A pity that the director and producer didn't throw away completly Ayano's character and her drama with her mother.
Hanebado IS good, IS well made, but every time Ayano and everything surrounding her appears on screen after episode 3, it's like a different anime that don't belongs with the rest.

I am fine with Ayano being in the show, even if she is a frustrating character. My worry is whether enough of her issues are going to be solved in a satisfactory manner in the 5 episodes remaining. There could always be a second season, but I rather see this season end in a high note with a satisfactory ending that offers as much closure as possible.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I think Nagisa was the one with the easy baggage, and once that was overcome she could focus on her love for the sport. This is what Ayano desperately needs, and I think Nagisa may be the one to teach her that before her rematch with Connie.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:55 am Reply with quote
I could watch a weird show about insane PTSD Ayano and her (maybe?) way more insane mom, and the absurd cast of cartoons she apparently takes as foes (here's-my-cold-forcibly pink pigtails, your-mom-is-really-my-mom blonde girl, etc?).

I could watch a show about super competitive Nagisa and the angry way she turned those emotions towards her team for a year. Holy shit, that's a normal god damned thing to do! She's an angsty teenager! And the rest of her team seems to consist of a reasonable supporting cast of anxious friggin' high school volleyball players. Engaging and normal.

But I can't watch them together. Those are two different shows. This nonsense is barely coherent.

Albeit pretty. Artwork's all that is holding it together.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:48 am Reply with quote
I agree that Nagisa and Ayano's plots feel like two different series and they should choose a tone, but am I the only one who prefers Ayano' side of the story? It's not the best handled but at least is trying to do something new with the usual premise of an athlete who is dragged back to practice the sport they quit, with their life (in this case not) improving because of it.

Last edited by Violet Park on Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:05 am Reply with quote
I'm not really sure which I'd prefer. I feel more dismissive of the surreal Ayano side of things right now, but it's hard to disambiguate how much of that's because of how weirdly it juxtaposes against the established benchmarks of the rest of the show. I might like it quite a lot as its own standalone product.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
Violet Park wrote:
I agree that Nagisa and Ayano's plots feel like two different series and they should choose a tone, but am I the only one who prefers Ayano' side of the story? It's not the best handled but at least is trying to do something new with the usual premise of an athlete who is dragged back to practice the sport they quit with their life (in this case not) improving because of it.

Ayano's story attracts me because it could be interesting. The problem is that to really develop well her story more time is needed, and only one cour will probably not be enough. In general my main concern with Hanebado! is that the anime may have introduced too many story lines to be able to properly develop and conclude.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9