• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Hanebado! [2018-07-17]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote
PTSD Ayano and it's causes is so crazy that I admit, is interesting.
Problem is I can't handle both. When you are engaged with the normalcy of the rest when the PTSD appears it throws you off, and then you don't have time to enter in the mood before returning to normalcy.

When I said that they should have get rid of her I meant re-written.
They could have kept the PTSD, but just less ridiculous.
Can you look at this and not laugh?

zrnzle500 wrote:
^I have a different theory, one where Ayano wins but loses at the same time. I haven't read the source so this is only speculation but I think spoiler[the coach pulls Nagisa before she gets a career (or even just season) ending injury, making Ayano win by default while robbing her of a true win, especially if Nagisa was on the way to making a comeback. Otherwise, what would Nozomi's coach telling the coach to do the right thing even if it makes them hate him be foreshadowing?]

Sounds good to me.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I gotta give Hanebado mad props for not being lazy and making Nozomi's coach a straight out villain. the guy was a jerk , granted, but he was mostly just taking his job seriously doing what he considered was needed to get results. so when Nozomi just stepped up and said she wasn't having any more of it, he just took that L and backed off, taking a pause to consider the posibility of the fault liying in him. the story also avoided the pitfall of just making him feel guilty and seeking repentance, he just made a mental note to examing wether his methods were really beneficial to the big picture and call it a day.

Things like this makes me wonder how can a show be so good at writting supporting cast yet threating its lead as a soup opera parody
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
I gotta give Hanebado mad props for not being lazy and making Nozomi's coach a straight out villain. the guy was a jerk , granted, but he was mostly just taking his job seriously doing what he considered was needed to get results. so when Nozomi just stepped up and said she wasn't having any more of it, he just took that L and backed off, taking a pause to consider the posibility of the fault liying in him. the story also avoided the pitfall of just making him feel guilty and seeking repentance, he just made a mental note to examing wether his methods were really beneficial to the big picture and call it a day.

Things like this makes me wonder how can a show be so good at writting supporting cast yet threating its lead as a soup opera parody

While I'm happy they didn't make him a one-tone villain, I didn't find his transition this well handled. It looked to me like they radically changed the show's depiction of him without giving us any kind of explanatory meat to glomm onto in understanding why they'd done that. The brief moment where Nozmoi confessed her volleyballin' feelings to him felt more like a character moment for her than for him, to me.

There was in that moment a clear, small attempt to depict his stunned (accepting?) reaction, but I guess it felt like too little to me. Did I miss something you saw in this scene?
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
While I'm happy they didn't make him a one-tone villain, I didn't find his transition this well handled. It looked to me like they radically changed the show's depiction of him without giving us any kind of explanatory meat to glomm onto in understanding why they'd done that. The brief moment where Nozmoi confessed her volleyballin' feelings to him felt more like a character moment for her than for him, to me.

There was in that moment a clear, small attempt to depict his stunned (accepting?) reaction, but I guess it felt like too little to me. Did I miss something you saw in this scene?

He was dumbfounded;
Maybe he isn't really all that "macho", so he isn't accustomed to actually arguing. He froze and could only notice her happiness, making him even more dumbfounded.

It was just fast paced as normal.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
If you understand the reasoning behind the characters actions and their emotional state it doesn't matter, on the contraty it may be worse. This episode was insane, almost every character went mad!
But make no mistake, Ayano isn't in the wrong, her behavior is comprehensible and rage is the least I could expect coming from her. It's kinda of fascinating and I still can't believe that this anime will really try to say that Ayano is the villain and let Connie and Uchika get away with this.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:17 pm Reply with quote
The episode simultaneously shows how it has the ability to entertain and what a horrible adaptation this must be.

They've been steadily dehumanizing Ayano but suddenly needed her to be the silly girl she is in the early manga... so she became a different character. again. Not that I can remember this anime ever hinting that she'd be the type of girl who'd go crazy for a bizarre local-idol character (or whatever it is).

And anime-Connie leaves Ayano with threats and taunts and comes back with bashful sis-con attitude.

and farts out the other character drama practically in scene transitions.

I think I come back each week for the show(s) it could be rather than the confusing jumble it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They've been steadily dehumanizing Ayano but suddenly needed her to be the silly girl she is in the early manga... so she became a different character. again. Not that I can remember this anime ever hinting that she'd the type of girl who'd go crazy for a bizarre local-idol character (or whatever it is).

Yeah, this was my reaction exactly to the latest episode. You could chop Hanebado! up into 2 or 3 decent shows, but you throw them all together like it has so far and both the tone of the show and the personalities of the characters end up all over the place.

The art's so well-executed, though---it'll be a real shame if the writing & directing never figure out what they want the show and its characters to be.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:26 am Reply with quote
I just can't believe this episode. They've been consistently (almost the only thing they've been consistent in fact) portraying Ayano as a victim of emotional neglect coping in the worst way possible, just to have her this brief switch to happy go lucky only to set up drama. Drama that shouldn't be there, because previous to this retcon of Connie's character Ayano refusing to be a family with her wouldn't be proof of her becoming a monster who must be stopped but common sense and self-care.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:52 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

They've been steadily dehumanizing Ayano but suddenly needed her to be the silly girl she is in the early manga... so she became a different character. again. Not that I can remember this anime ever hinting that she'd be the type of girl who'd go crazy for a bizarre local-idol character (or whatever it is).

Violet Park wrote:
I just can't believe this episode. They've been consistently (almost the only thing they've been consistent in fact) portraying Ayano as a victim of emotional neglect coping in the worst way possible, just to have her this brief switch to happy go lucky only to set up drama. Drama that shouldn't be there, because previous to this retcon of Connie's character Ayano refusing to be a family with her wouldn't be proof of her becoming a monster who must be stopped but common sense and self-care.

This is how you two sees that happy personality?
There's the possibility that I'm wrong, but for me that happy personality is "false". Is as crazy as the other one when she is playing. That is not the real Ayano, she is feigning to protect herself, I thought this was obvious, that she is only getting worse, now behaving crazy even outside the games. Remember, Elena questioned her, so now she tries to convince the people around her that she is actually daijoubu.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is how you two sees that happy personality?
There's the possibility that I'm wrong, but for me that happy personality is "false". Is as crazy as the other one when she is playing. That is not the real Ayano, she is feigning to protect herself, I thought this was obvious, that she is only getting worse, now behaving crazy even outside the games. Remember, Elena questioned her, so now she tries to convince the people around her that she is actually daijoubu.

But she basically told Elena to go fudge herself every time she questioned her and was fine with showing her Darth Ayano persona to the rest of the team during the Nagisa vs Nozomi match. The way she keeps the new "act" even after Connie appears (and Ayano doesn't know what Connie is doing there, she would be alert) only to drop it in the dramatically appropiated moment feels very forced.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino, I admit that my reading of her personality is informed by my sampling of a couple early manga chapters where this is clearly her personality but your "obvious" conclusion, as you see it, still comes out of nowhere. They didn't even hint at this sort of quirk in the first episode before she was brought to the club. Or when they were at the training camp and she was wandering the town with Connie without worry.

We've had 1)reserved and reticent Ayano tagging along with her friend, 2)earnest Ayano learning to like the game again and wanting to be in a team 3)sudden PTSD insulting petty Ayano throughout the tourney 4)suddenly childish nitwit Ayano (apparently the default in the manga).

SO really, whoever the anime wants her to be... please stand up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:22 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Panino Manino, I admit that my reading of her personality is informed by my sampling of a couple early manga chapters where this is clearly her personality but your "obvious" conclusion, as you see it, still comes out of nowhere. They didn't even hint at this sort of quirk in the first episode before she was brought to the club. Or when they were at the training camp and she was wandering the town with Connie without worry.

We've had 1)reserved and reticent Ayano tagging along with her friend, 2)earnest Ayano learning to like the game again and wanting to be in a team 3)sudden PTSD insulting petty Ayano throughout the tourney 4)suddenly childish nitwit Ayano (apparently the default in the manga).

SO really, whoever the anime wants her to be... please stand up.

What?
And...?
She just changed to passive (wanted to be alone) to aggressive (want to strike back).

But I don't disagree, like I already said before. The anime could have erase all of this ridiculous plot.
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:39 am Reply with quote
Ayano's attitude in this episode didn't seem natural to me, perhaps it actually is, but in the current context in which the series is being developed it seemed very false to me. Especially because of Connie's presence, with whom one would expect to be colder but not, Ayano was very cheerful and friendly towards her, which results in something weird and even forced. What I did expect was this Connie, not bad but once a lonely and then raised by Uchika based on badminton, now seeks affection through recognition, as her presentation at the game in the camp.
This time she was going to do the same thing but her friend(s) leads her to try it differently, which ends the same way with a badminton match where she says that they can only communicate through it as she thought from the beginning.
Finally, I don't know what the hell is going on in the mother's head, because she seems very relaxed and carefree and yet we are talking about someone who trained her daughter with the mentality of 'if you get better, I'll play all you want with you', abandoned her and then started to raise another one as if nothing had happened.
casenumber00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:33 am Reply with quote
I think the reviewer and many people here dont understand what a bad upbringing can do to people. As someone who had a bad upbringing I struggled and still somewhat do with things and Hanebado is a great job showing that. Looking at Hanebado, it is full of melodrama and actions of which most would find illogical. With the melodrama parts, it seems that every worth while story moment in the story has some emotional moment and that what it is like for emotionally stunted people. Every waking moment, often with other people, is a challenge to get you message across while still maintaining your ego. From outside looking in, a person can see conversations or actions of people like this as something that doesnt make sense in the context of the situation but often fail to consider, much less see, that those actions done to maintain stability in their own mind. You have seen people people yelling at clerk stands yell at the clerks stand just ordering a simple cup of coffee, someone yell at you, or someone else, about a mistake they themselves did, or noticed the ramblings of a certain president as examples of this. If you viewed Ayano's actions and what she says as being as carefully chosen so she wont break any further, it would make more sense. I know watching this show can make you dislike Ayano, even to the point of being bothered by it, but this is a story about a mentally fractured girl. As someone from that background, I find this show doing a good job portraying it, so good in fact that people who cant relate to a bad upbringing cant even empathize with Ayano. With that being said, it maybe becoming a bad story but this actually fits for many people in reality. I saw Ayano fits as a good character study for a bad upbringing but not a great number of people will not empathize, or maybe not understand Ayano but I at least wanted to say a few things about this show. I know said a few things but people's mental health is unimaginably complex and what I said only scratches the surface, I just chose to step in and say a few things but there is plenty more I would like to say with many many things I didn't cover but I will stop for now.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:59 am Reply with quote
"Ayano is being harsh and unreasonable"

She has all the right to be after what she did to her last time they met, just like with Kaoruko.

--- Darth Ayanon is Best Ayanon ---
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9