• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Angolmois: Record of Mongol Invasion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
For modern stuff you have to factor in the "writer's fantasy" factor.

And, historically, perhaps the "Genji fantasy" factor as well. There's a reason Kurenai's seven-year-old protagonist is named Murasaki.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I was concerned about this anime when I saw the studio and the staff involved. After 1 episode of decent animation, it poops the bed hard with lots of outsourcing, off model animation and still frames. It seems like this project was too ambitious for the limited amount of time and resources that the staff are working with. Oh well, one more anime I can drop from my list.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:22 am Reply with quote
Biggest complaint I had, was that for a protagonist that is meant to be a really great general, he fails to at least point out the most obvious part of all this. That the Mongols have ships...ships mean they can surround the island or move about much faster than they can.

You could see the destruction of the capital happening the moment they mention it. Simply because any invading force would be foolish to not at least scout out the biggest potential threats. Meaning, the capital was the most obvious place to strike. Any military commander could have seen that coming. But no, he just lets everyone go back to the capital, not even pointing out that clearly it's going to fall. Especially with that many ships and that large a force advancing.

The entire campaign will likely turn into an extermination event where they push the locals deeper into the mountains until they snuff them all out. We'll see a series of guerilla warfare events with likely a final battle at a mountain stronghold somewhere. Probably a Gundam style "when this is over lets get married," event before that.
LoriasGS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I fully laughed out loud when when Kuchii had the men make spears by tying blades onto the end of bamboo sticks and one of the soldiers asked him what they were were in a genuinely confused tone. It was presented in the same way as those isekai series where to protagonist introduces modern technology and everyone stands around in awe. It was funny for 2 reasons.

1) Even if spears hadn't been used on that island before, as the dialogue implies, a trained soldier should have still been able to understand the concept of a blade tied to the end of a long stick, it is not that complex an idea. Which brings me to my next point...

2) The soldier who asked this question was holding a naginata which for those who don't know is a long stick with a blade on the end of it. The only real difference between a naginata and a spear in design is the type of blade on the end with a spear being shorter.

Apparently that soldier was fine with a naginata, a long stick with a long blade on the end of it made sense to him but a short blade on the end blew that guys mind it was just too radical an idea for him. Honestly finding out that that is the quality of soldiers our heroes had to work with made all their achievements that much more impressive.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:08 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that the Princess is at least a dead-eye archer.

I have to believe the question of "what are these?" regarding the spears was more of a "what do you expect us to do with these flimsy little things?" sort of question rather than not understanding what a spear is. Maybe given their circumstances and the terrain, he couldn't see any advantage to them when he was expecting an up close and personal fight.

The thing I thought was funny was that all of the returning soldiers had arrows in their shoulder armor, all broken in exactly the same places.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite enjoying this show.

It's not often you see Samurai themed anime, much less ones that don't take place in the Sengoku period, which is often.
I'm glad where seeing an anime based on the Mongol invasions of Japan. It was an idea that was waiting to happen.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:47 am Reply with quote
I kinda got lost around the time he woke up to her about to kiss him again (didn't we already do that bit? oO). After that it was like everyone was on shrooms or something. I kept expecting the Mongols to come sneaking up and kidnapping the Princess, since they put that out there, and instead it was Kuchii who was effectively kidnapped. I'm still expecting this to be a dream or something. Strange episode.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:09 am Reply with quote
I'm liking this show well enough, but so far all the characters, except for Kuchii maybe, haven't been given much of a personality and the minute they get a bit of development, they are dead.

Even the princess basically switches between being useless or horny and now that the enemy general has set his sights on her, my hopes aren't exactly up...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
The only real flaw in episode 9 was taking time out to remind us that Princess has the hots for Kuchii. Apparently they've decided that's her defining character trait which must be illustrated every episode.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:49 am Reply with quote
...and The Horny Princess strikes again! This seems to be the pinnacle of romance in this show... not that it actually needed romance, but what's the point? To show that, even though he apparently oozes irressistible sexiness, Kuchii only cares about war?! Rolling Eyes
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Apart from the silhouetted image of Kuchii beheading Shiraishi, nothing really catches the eye.

It caught my eye, but not in the way intended. Something about the quickness and the little spouts of blood just made me laugh. Still, I think people in those days must've been made of different stuff, the way they just nonchalantly pass heads around like handing a gift to the host. On second thought, humans the world over have routinely done that sort of thing for so long I wonder how we ever got the notion that there's anything wrong with it? Some still don't think so.

Kuchii either sleeps like the dead or figures he might as well fake it as long as Princess Noncon keeps making out with him.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
The whole time Hitari was going on about being a hunter and a loner and how best the bow is, I kept thinking that if all that's so, he should probably know better than to wear a target on his forehead (or at least have a hachi gane under the scarf). And indeed, that proved to be his downfall. Smile
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Sloppy deaths. Sloppy character development.

There is no update on why Onitakemaru returned so I'd expect to find out next week why he went back after seeing the Mongol fleet. Although very likely they just realized there was no point, the island is surrounded.

Which plays on another aspect of this story that is troublesome. They never stop to speak of how terrifying the Mongols are, yet have this insane naivety at every turn. The lack of intelligence in even some of the fighters is so moronic. It comes off like someone is putting on a really bad puppet show. Like the characters have no identity and are just wooden puppets for an author that hasn't thought things through. Like the script written for this series is just a rough draft and no one made much effort in cleaning it up before release.
forexjammer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Squidslinger wrote:
Sloppy deaths. Sloppy character development.

There is no update on why Onitakemaru returned so I'd expect to find out next week why he went back after seeing the Mongol fleet. Although very likely they just realized there was no point, the island is surrounded.

Which plays on another aspect of this story that is troublesome. They never stop to speak of how terrifying the Mongols are, yet have this insane naivety at every turn. The lack of intelligence in even some of the fighters is so moronic. It comes off like someone is putting on a really bad puppet show. Like the characters have no identity and are just wooden puppets for an author that hasn't thought things through. Like the script written for this series is just a rough draft and no one made much effort in cleaning it up before release.

The anime is adapting 10 books in 12 episode, imagine.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Rocks fall everyone dies.

Quote:
We cut to someone doing their part in the battle, that character rattles off a few lines about their personal motivation for fighting, and then they're dead.

Yeah, we probably learned more about these characters in the seconds before their deaths then we did the entire 10 episodes before...i mean, Bow Guy was around since the beginning, but i don't remember anything about him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3