• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Free! -Dive to the Future-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:56 am Reply with quote
rahzel rose wrote:
We're also getting closer and closer to Rei and Asahi running into each other.

This!! Both 'Timeless Medley' and 'Take Your Marks' teased their meeting to hell and back, and then it never happened! I've been anxiously waiting to see them meet for a year now, so I'm absolutely excited about what's to come. Surprised
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:36 am Reply with quote
Great episode, at last Ashahi got to talk to Ikuya and Haru is going to race him next episode. I'm so pleased to see Haru come out of his shell and take charge of his life, a long time coming. With so many characters and different locations it's all been so scattered but I'm looking forward to when they can all get together.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I felt bad for whoever got booted off the lineup for the relay. If I'd come there psyched and expecting to swim and then got replaced at the last minute, because...? I'd be pretty pissed off. Especially since this was also qualifiers for the Big All-Japan Swim-Off.

Other than that, it was a fun episode, despite the massive suspension of disbelief required. Turns out swimming with Haru is just as therapeutic as swimming with dolphins is reputed to be. I wonder what his new spirit animal will be when he achieves his final form? Unless it's already taken, I'm hoping for narwhal - a combo of dolphin and unicorn. ;D
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
he decides to spontaneously join the relay

Uh, no. He didn't "spontaneously decide," his captain asked him to do it.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I felt bad for whoever got booted off the lineup for the relay.

They may not have had a lineup. They may have been waiting to see how everyone did in the solo events before picking the relay members.
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:23 am Reply with quote
Damn I need a Haru of my own, he seems to be able to cure anything!

Good episode although as was mentioned it was all a little too convenient but I'm just glad we got the angst out of the way so now we can focus on the upcoming competition. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone meet up again.

I'm really curious about this new trainer that is so focused on Haru and what he has planned, why is he so interested?

I wish this season had more episodes so it wasn't so rushed, far too many characters to give them much screen time, I guess I'm so used to the past when everyone was located together and now they're scattered everywhere.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:24 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed episode 8. I don't particularly mind the convenience and snappy resolutions for Hiyori and Ikuya. We had two previous seasons (and a movie) filled with drama and angst as well as the beginning of this season, so I'm glad that's done with. Ikuya going back to his regular sassy self was great to see. And I'm glad Kisumi talked to Hiyori. He had told Makoto he wanted to do more, so it was a nice touch to see him reaching out.

Now the downfall of the giant cast rears it's head for me specifically because damn I would love to see more of Hoshikawa. He seems like a good guy and I would be interested in learning more about him. Maybe there will be a little more in a side story or ova later or something. But soon we will see the other characters I was interested in! I'm looking forward to meeting the smirky evil smiling guys from the OP.

I'm also hoping for a fun hospital visit for Sousuke whenever his surgery happens. It would be nice if everyone went to see him!
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
The funniest thing was everyone being SHOCKED that there actually might be people out there in the world who are better than Haru...

But i enjoyed this episode overall. It was nice to see Haru being completely awed by someone elses swimming for once and i really want to see that prequel about the coaches' rivalry now! Very Happy
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
The funniest thing was everyone being SHOCKED that there actually might be people out there in the world who are better than Haru...

But i enjoyed this episode overall. It was nice to see Haru being completely awed by someone elses swimming for once and i really want to see that prequel about the coaches' rivalry now! Very Happy

There’s going to be a prequel for the coaches? Definitely do want.

I was also a little amused at all the shocked reactions when Haru lost. If Albert holds the world record then of course Haru wouldn’t be able to beat him. Yet. I look forward to their interactions in the future. Albert seems like a nice (cute) guy, so I hope it’s a friendly rivalry and he doesn’t turn out to be a jerk. Although the whole thing with him using the grim reaper when playing Isuzu seemed a little much.

Speaking of Isuzu, I am actually pretty sad the show didn’t allow for her and Haru to face off against each other. I like her and her spunky attitude. That would be fun to see in an OVA or something, though. I’m also glad that Hiyori is fitting in with the rest of the kids, and Ikuya with the baby was super cute too.

I still love the show, although I can agree that it’s getting a little crazy with the sheer amount of characters. It took me a minute to remember the third guy from Hidaka that was with Haru and Mikoshiba. It also doesn’t help that he has a similar design to Hosikawa. I wish there could be another thirteen episodes.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
rahzel rose wrote:

There’s going to be a prequel for the coaches? Definitely do want.

Well, for now it's only in my fantasy, but i would definitely pay good money for it!

Quote:
Speaking of Isuzu, I am actually pretty sad the show didn’t allow for her and Haru to face off against each other. I like her and her spunky attitude. That would be fun to see in an OVA or something, though.

Agreed. She seemed like a pretty fun character. And i loved Haru's expression when he imagined all of the Mikoshiba siblings together. They sure are a lively bunch. Laughing
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't get when people complain that it's too hard to keep up with a large cast. Like... Do you watch more than one anime per season? Then you're already keeping up with multiple characters and multiple storylines. In Free!, most of those excess characters are throw-aways anyway (despite some of them once being actually important... Anime cry ), so you really only need to follow a fraction of the characters shown.

The only real drawback to the crowd is not being able to give everyone focus. But then again, not every little thing needs to be focused on. Personally, I think it's fine that they only simply mentioned that Ikuya beat Asahi - if nothing remarkable happened during the race, why show us another swimming scene that would just look like all the other swimming scenes?

And while I know it was thrown into the article for fun, Steve actually isn't a new character. We've met him before, in Take Your Marks. And episode 9 reveals that spoiler[Ryuuji] isn't technically a new character either, which I find very interesting (and I'm now convinced Iwatobi is putting something in the water to create so many super-swimmers).
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Another good episode, we can see where all this is going with Haru having lost to Albert. He's now going to get super duper training from Mikhail's former friend/rival Azuma and of course Mikhail will be coming to Japan for the competition so more intrigue. This is all a build up to the finale.

Loved to see Ikuya and Hiyori mixing with the others at the bar and Ikuya was cute playing with the baby. Really funny seeing Momo's sister ask to race Haru, that sure is one fired up family.

I'm kind of glad Haru lost, this will inspire him to work harder and that's where Azuma will come in. (hopefully)

We've spent so many episodes dealing with the angst and Haru and Ikuya that I hope they can do justice to the story with so few left in this season.

I will say that some of the dubbing seems a bit shaky especially the first few episodes, even the usually impeccable Todd seemed to be a bit off in places. I guess that will get tweaked when they do the final release.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Is no one going to comment on how utterly silly it is that literally all the super swimmers in Free's universe seem to come from or be somehow connected with Iwatobi? Last week Hiyori turned out to be from Iwatobi and now Azuma too and even Mikhail is Nitori's uncle somehow. Considering how huge the cast has gotten, that literally every main competitor seems to hail from Iwatobi is just nuts. Next we know Albert has a Japanese mother from Iwatobi or is a distant cousin of coach Sasabe Laughing

Gotta say I'm really not a huge fan of how bloated the cast has gotten, mainly because the main cast, the ones I actually love and care about from season one, hardly get featured at all. It was expected for Rei and Nagisa to fall to the background, but Rin has had like 10 lines of dialogue in the show so far and it's getting quite frustrating.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote
This episode was really cute. The bit with the ladybug just killed me. Makoto really is the pillar of support for those around him in a lot of ways, and it was nice to see that get highlighted.

Quote:
and we learn that Shizuru calls Haru's coach “Grandpa?”

My brain totally disregarded this and I've been thinking he was his uncle for the last twelve hours. I'm also curious about how this all works, unless Ryuji is much older and just looks really good for his age.

I'm really looking forward to everyone meeting up next week! I'm excited to see them all race against each other, especially Rin and Ikuya. Ikuya was making faces about Rin being Haru's rival, so I hope his uneasiness will be dispelled once they hash it out in the water. I also really hope the preview is not a lie, and that Rei and Asahi will finally actually talk to each other!!

As a completely random note, I am glad Rin's ripped jeans made another appearance. I don't know why, but I love them and it makes me happy every time they show up.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see Makoto finally find the place he wants to be. He always looks so sad, like he's feeling left out or doesn't fit in with all the competitors' anymore or something. It's nice to at last see him looking happy and excited for the future.

Also nice to see Rin so easy-going and not ready to snap at everything like a little yappy-dog.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:09 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Makoto's found his own path, but i only care about The Clash of the Old Rivals Turned Coaches now. It is fate!!! Laughing

And Rin is best boy, of course!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4