• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Banana Fish

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:02 am Reply with quote
I about died when Shorter stared at the angel engraving on the wall in episode 9, yeah. MAPPA is so nice to us, haha.

I have the Another Story volume in Japanese because I'm silly but someone recently translated Ura Banana, too!

Yeah, they're going to have to cut and trim a lot. It's a shame but it's gonna happen. There are a few really important conversations that are kind of too graphic to put in the anime, I think and like I've said before, they're probably cutting a few characters. I definitely hope they allude to Garden of Light, at least. It'll be tough.

I hope new fans will read the four main side stories at the end. They're SO important. I'd link to them here but I dunno if that's allowed and such. New fan translations are pretty easy to find, though.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Doing my math, we've got 7 eps left and about 7 vols, not including the epilogue or side story from vol 19. Yeaaah, I think something's gotta get cut. Not quite sure what, but maybe something towards the end is gonna change, I'm thinking. So far, they've yet to adapt one whole volume to one episode at any point in time, I doubt it'd start now.

And hooray, Blanca! Assuming he stays true to his manga counterpart, I love that guy! I feel like he's just what the story needs right now to spoiler[stop Ash from being unstoppable, as it was starting to get old], which should be happening in next week's episode!
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:55 am Reply with quote
Spoilers kinda but this week's PV shows us that MAPPA has put a bit in for Private Opinion! They probably know they can't fully animate the side stories but they're giving us little tastes where it's appropriate. We are grateful, MAPPA! I hope you can do a tiny bit of magic with Garden of Light.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:58 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Doing my math, we've got 7 eps left and about 7 vols, not including the epilogue or side story from vol 19. Yeaaah, I think something's gotta get cut. Not quite sure what, but maybe something towards the end is gonna change, I'm thinking. So far, they've yet to adapt one whole volume to one episode at any point in time, I doubt it'd start now.
They may put the epilogue in the Blu-Ray release, like they did with Kill La Kill, Sound of the Sky, Night Raid 1931 etc. Same goes for some of the side stories in the form of episode ?.5
catandmouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Guys you're making me want to read the manga now...
Maybe I'll go read it after the anime is over.

Oh and hoping for a physical release, but I don't think amazon does that, or do they? I would like to add this one to my collection.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
You definitely should read the manga afterwards! Especially if the epilogue isn't animated (maybe it'll be an OVA later on)! But enough scenes, both small moments and some bigger subplots, have been cut, so it's still worth it to read the manga.

As for this ep, I loved it! It adapted almost a full volume, but it didn't feel rushed either. Got a lot of pretty adorable slow moments in there too AND this is like the first time we're seeing Blanca front and center. He's kind of awesome! I hope if there's an English dub that Jamieson Price does his voice, that would be so sweet!
MF65

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:36 am Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
Oh and hoping for a physical release, but I don't think amazon does that, or do they? I would like to add this one to my collection.

By physical release you mean the BD/DVD? The first volume was released just a couple of weeks ago. It IS pretty expensive, especially if you're going to import it, but it comes with a lot of goodies and it's 6 episodes instead of the standard 2 ep. per volume, so it might be worth it in the end.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
Guys you're making me want to read the manga now...
Maybe I'll go read it after the anime is over.

Please, please do! There are a lot of people in the fandom saying they're going to do this and truly hope so. And a lot of us over at the BF subreddit have been poking companies on Twitter about liscensing and have gotten a few generic responses. It has to happen sometime. I want to buy the heck out of the anime.

So many good character reactions in this episode and Yuma Uchida's Ash is superb as usual. Blanca...
Anyway, we are coming up on some heavy stuff, even for Banana Fish. Buckle up, everyone.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:56 am Reply with quote
I really loved that song that played after the fight, I hope they release the sot soon.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
This show has been such a joy to watch. Painful at times, yes, but ever so fascinating. It edges out Run with the Wind by a small margin, but those two are my top shows this season if we're counting continuations from last season.

Someone give Yuma Uchida an award, Ash's "I'm a human toilet" mental breakdown scene was chilling to the bone. And Jun Fukuyama is always on point as Yut-Lung, especially the spurned lover scene.

Side note: the community score for ep 19 went from 4.5 to 4.1 OVERNIGHT, so unless people really took issue with such a standout episode that has an A rating, there is definitely something fishy going on with the voting (pun not intended). Ep 18 had a 4.6 and is now down to a 4.2 on an A+ reviewer rating, so this isn't just a first time thing. I think someone definitely has it in for Banana Fish.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
That's not that big a drop. Also, every series tends to drop over time from when the review gets posted. People for whom the series is merely "meh" or lower tend to check in later, since they're not chomping at the bit for each episode. They're watching and reading reviews of their favorites first. This is certainly not the sort of shenanigans we were seeing with Rakugo and a couple other series.
Helix91
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to point out that Spetsnaz is a real term, not just a fictionalized KGB. The KGB were spies, like the Soviet version of the CIA. Spetsnaz refers to Russian special forces soldiers. So Blanca was kind of like a Russian version of a Navy SEAL before he became a hit man.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:25 am Reply with quote
^ Thanks for that, interesting to know.

I am so pleased with MAPPA. Making the "human toilet" dialogue into a full on breakdown scene was such a great idea. (The guy Ash refers to was Marvin, by the way). The manga is pretty different, even with the same dialogue. Also, Dino deserves so much torture, pain and suffering. This really goes without saying but it feels so good to say it anyway. I mean, what happened in his life to make him this way? The mafia? I guess... We don't really need a backstory on him, though. Who would really care.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That's not that big a drop. Also, every series tends to drop over time from when the review gets posted. People for whom the series is merely "meh" or lower tend to check in later, since they're not chomping at the bit for each episode. They're watching and reading reviews of their favorites first. This is certainly not the sort of shenanigans we were seeing with Rakugo and a couple other series.

Fair enough. Thank you for the insight, Gina, I was not aware the situation wasn't nearly as bad as with Rakugo.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Helix91 wrote:
Just wanted to point out that Spetsnaz is a real term, not just a fictionalized KGB. The KGB were spies, like the Soviet version of the CIA. Spetsnaz refers to Russian special forces soldiers. So Blanca was kind of like a Russian version of a Navy SEAL before he became a hit man.

Thanks for that, I didn't know that. (I'd looked at some fan sites to see what the manga said and they said he was an KGB agent, so that didn't help. Maybe he was both, somehow?) I still think my criticisms stand about the age thing, though, like it seems pretty strange for him to be in the USSR's Special Forces given the age he likely would've been at the time. They should have updated that.

I did some Googling and it looks like Kazakhstan has their own Spetsnaz, but Blanca is pretty clearly implied to have been in the Soviet/Russian equivalent, which doesn't make a lot of sense given the modern-day version's timeline.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12