• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Doompa wrote:
seltzermx wrote:
The bigger question is will ANN writers ever get over the fact that many anime, especially fantasy ones, have slavery.

Unfortunately that won't ever happen. The reviewers go out of their way to virtue signal and push an agenda every review.

Case in point the previous Asobi Asobase review the review takes a letter grade away because middle schoolers in an all-girls school happen to be scared that one of the students in the school may be a boy and cross dressing.

Its one of the lowest hanging fruits out there, so its never surprising when any reviewer goes after the slavery card.
Even if the concept of slavery has been around for centuries and its abolishment a more recent enlightenment.
Slavery still continues in some way in parts of the world, so critics must always vocally condemn it out of some fear that a 3rd party will say that by not condemning it they are indirectly tolerating or supporting it.
Even if said slavery takes place in a fictional fantasy or comedic setting.

It all goes back to the old Ideal vs Accurate debate.

Should creative types be forced to make their worlds based upon Ideal world settings, or should the work reflect how Reality is or was?

In the movie Django Unchained, another story with slavery in it, many critics were against the wide spread use of the N-word in the film, yet many POC I know appreciated it because to they said it accurately reflected the time and period it was set it. So should the movie be disliked for making some people uncomfortable, or should it be praised for telling the truth?

Some would say that any depiction of slavery is somehow glorifying it and should never be used in any context, even for comedic purposes.
Others would believe that any censoring of concepts like slavery is akin to "white washing" history and is a disservice to those who have lived though and for some still suffer from slavery.

I believe that comedy/fiction is a great vehicle to start conversations on certain touchy subjects, like slavery, and that we should never bash the creative for using it, but look at the characters involved and how they react to said situation.

So, back to How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord

So far, the theme has been Slavery is bad, lets find a way to get these collars off.

Diablo hasn't used his position of power to abuse the girls and is actively trying to help them out of their situation. Which would be an Ideal world action

However the Slave Trader/Slave Market scene depicted the 'slaves' to be in good spirits. While some may see this as somehow glorifying slavery, its not. Its actually a more modern depiction of 'white slavery' where the slaves are forced into prostitution and appearances affect price value. This is a more Realistic depiction.

But since the series hasn't decided to go more in-depth on the subject I haven't felt the need to do so as well. It is a Comedy so I'm willing to see where this Slave collar MacGuffin goes.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:23 pm Reply with quote
The idea of mana transfer being used as a fanservice element is the gift that keeps on giving from the Fate universe. It allows for some fantasy fanservice but in a way that can be shown on broadcast TV. Also Shera's dream to open a cafe with her friends is the type of quirky humor that I like about this show.

Fluwm wrote:
I think it more likely that the reviewer doesn’t like bad/lazy harem elements, which is the vast and overwhelming majority.
Demon Lord is one of the most popular late night anime shows that is currently streaming on Crunchyroll. For example Demon Lord has over 2000 votes in the 3rd episode while Planet With has over 300 votes in the 3rd episode. Demon Lord is an ecchi show and it makes sense that it includes ecchi scenes that are made to appeal to the intended audience. Also so far Demon Lord is a moderate ecchi show and it doesn't get close to a heavy ecchi show such as Seven Mortal Sins.

Kokuryu Daimao wrote:
Its one of the lowest hanging fruits out there, so its never surprising when any reviewer goes after the slavery card.
That makes sense for the first episode but as someone who has read the light novels spoiler[the slave collar situation is going to be there for the whole season since it still hasn't been resolved by the end of the fourth light novel.]
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:46 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
The idea of mana transfer being used as a fanservice element is the gift that keeps on giving from the Fate universe. It allows for some fantasy fanservice but in a way that can be shown on broadcast TV. Also Shera's dream to open a cafe with her friends is the type of quirky humor that I like about this show.

Fluwm wrote:
I think it more likely that the reviewer doesn’t like bad/lazy harem elements, which is the vast and overwhelming majority.
Demon Lord is one of the most popular late night anime shows that is currently streaming on Crunchyroll. For example Demon Lord has over 2000 votes in the 3rd episode while Planet With has over 300 votes in the 3rd episode. Demon Lord is an ecchi show and it makes sense that it includes ecchi scenes that are made to appeal to the intended audience. Also so far Demon Lord is a moderate ecchi show and it doesn't get close to a heavy ecchi show such as Seven Mortal Sins.

Kokuryu Daimao wrote:
That makes sense for the first episode but as someone who has read the light novels spoiler[the slave collar situation is going to be there for the whole season since it still hasn't been resolved by the end of the fourth light novel.]

spoiler[Not even with the latest volume...]
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Kokuryu Daimao wrote:

Even if the concept of slavery has been around for centuries and its abolishment a more recent enlightenment.
Slavery still continues in some way in parts of the world, so critics must always vocally condemn it out of some fear that a 3rd party will say that by not condemning it they are indirectly tolerating or supporting it.

I'm not really sure what is making y'all think that Chris (or anyone who writes even semi-critically about this show's obvious fetish for women in collars) is somehow ignorant of the existence of slavery in fiction before. But to make it clear so we can stop having this debate every Friday for the next six weeks:

Chris' criticism is not that the show feature or portrays slavery at all. That's a reductive strawman version of his point that does nothing to further discussion.

What Chris has said about Demon Lord is a) its attempts to make a story about Sheera becoming her own person free from the control of her family/royal status is at least partially at odds with the main narrative hook of the show being putting her (and Rem) in slave collars. b) The brief depiction of the women in the Slave Market is potentially questionable because it toes the line of insisting slavery isn't that bad.

In the first case, he's pretty clearly discussing the disjunct between Demon Lord's text (Sheera should be free to choose her own destiny because she's a person with her own desires) with its subtext (But hey ain't it hot that she's wearing that collar and wants Diablo to assure her she "belongs" to him? Nudge nudge wink wink). It's a pretty straightforward complaint that the show only partially reconciles by never totally committing to or explaining the parameters of the enslavement spell. It doesn't seem to hold any legal power in Demon Lord's world, and aside from the first episode we haven't seen either heroine be compelled to follow Diablo's orders, but the ED makes it pretty clear that part of the appeal of the show is the whole slavery fetish angle. You can like that or not like that, but I don't see it as unreasonable for a critic to express some suspicion at the whole disconnect.

The second case is an issue of framing rather than strictly content. To use another recent example, Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody had a whole episode where the protagonist grows accustomed to giving instructions to his newly purchased slaves - nearly all of whom are underage - and ends with him concluding that "maybe they're happier being slaves" when they initially show indecision or discomfort at being given agency. This partially exists as wish fulfillment to portray the MC as a "benevolent" slave owner who only buys people out of happenstance and is always sure to treat them well, and that just happens to mean taking charge in all situations and having them happily serve him. In order to make its power fantasy palatable, it contrives a situation where the protagonist is both guiltless and justified in being a slave owner. Again, if that's something that appeals to you or not, that's your business, but neither Chris nor any other critic would be unreasonable to find that uncomfortable.

So yeah, can we please put to bed this idea that criticism of how Demon Lord (or any other show, since we've apparently got a few more of these kinds of isekai stories on the horizon) frames slavery is just monocle popping over the very idea of portraying an unsavory concept?
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Kokuryu Daimao wrote:

I'm not really sure what is making y'all think that Chris (or anyone who writes even semi-critically about this show's obvious fetish for women in collars) is somehow ignorant of the existence of slavery in fiction before. But to make it clear so we can stop having this debate every Friday for the next six weeks:

Chris' criticism is not that the show feature or portrays slavery at all. That's a reductive strawman version of his point that does nothing to further discussion.

What Chris has said about Demon Lord is a) its attempts to make a story about Sheera becoming her own person free from the control of her family/royal status is at least partially at odds with the main narrative hook of the show being putting her (and Rem) in slave collars. b) The brief depiction of the women in the Slave Market is potentially questionable because it toes the line of insisting slavery isn't that bad.

In the first case, he's pretty clearly discussing the disjunct between Demon Lord's text (Sheera should be free to choose her own destiny because she's a person with her own desires) with its subtext (But hey ain't it hot that she's wearing that collar and wants Diablo to assure her she "belongs" to him? Nudge nudge wink wink). It's a pretty straightforward complaint that the show only partially reconciles by never totally committing to or explaining the parameters of the enslavement spell. It doesn't seem to hold any legal power in Demon Lord's world, and aside from the first episode we haven't seen either heroine be compelled to follow Diablo's orders, but the ED makes it pretty clear that part of the appeal of the show is the whole slavery fetish angle. You can like that or not like that, but I don't see it as unreasonable for a critic to express some suspicion at the whole disconnect.

The second case is an issue of framing rather than strictly content. To use another recent example, Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody had a whole episode where the protagonist grows accustomed to giving instructions to his newly purchased slaves - nearly all of whom are underage - and ends with him concluding that "maybe they're happier being slaves" when they initially show indecision or discomfort at being given agency. This partially exists as wish fulfillment to portray the MC as a "benevolent" slave owner who only buys people out of happenstance and is always sure to treat them well, and that just happens to mean taking charge in all situations and having them happily serve him. In order to make its power fantasy palatable, it contrives a situation where the protagonist is both guiltless and justified in being a slave owner. Again, if that's something that appeals to you or not, that's your business, but neither Chris nor any other critic would be unreasonable to find that uncomfortable.

So yeah, can we please put to bed this idea that criticism of how Demon Lord (or any other show, since we've apparently got a few more of these kinds of isekai stories on the horizon) frames slavery is just monocle popping over the very idea of portraying an unsavory concept?

So I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but if it is I think you might be mistaken on my position.

I'm not against any critic, Chris included, that bring up slavery when it is part of the work.
My post was aimed towards the others in the thread, Doompa and Seltzermx, who brought up the issue of critiquing the slavery. I was merely trying to bring in some discussion as to why critics bring it up because Its an easy task for them to acknowledge it then admonish it.

Secondly, wither or not anyone agrees or disagrees is the basis for why we are all on these Forums. If everyone blindly agreed and followed what the critics said then why even have discussions?
These debates will probably continue until the end of the series. If you are seeing the same thing happen every week, then is it the readers fault for not getting what the writer said? Or is it the writers fault for not writing in a clear enough way for the intended readers to understand and not misinterpret?
Because if people keep bringing up certain issues, then that means that either the critic failed at conveying their intended message or that the readers understood and still disagreed.

Also, what is "Monocle popping"?
Guspaz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:14 pm Reply with quote
The slavery collars are just really not a pressing issue for the characters. They do ultimately have the goal of getting rid of them, but the collars don't have any negative impact on them. They implicitly trust the person in "control" of them, and apart from the bit at the start, five volumes in I can't remember Diablo ever actually using that control. They've pretty much always got bigger problems to solve, and at one point, Shera equates the collar to no more than "a minor inconvenience when showering".
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:45 am Reply with quote
Guspaz wrote:
The slavery collars are just really not a pressing issue for the characters. They do ultimately have the goal of getting rid of them, but the collars don't have any negative impact on them. They implicitly trust the person in "control" of them, and apart from the bit at the start, five volumes in I can't remember Diablo ever actually using that control. They've pretty much always got bigger problems to solve, and at one point, Shera equates the collar to no more than "a minor inconvenience when showering".

spoiler[Wait for vol 9]

But yeah they dont really mind much cos they trust Diablo enough to know that he wont abuse it.
Rob49152

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
for some reason I see the enslavement collars as nothing more than giant marriage bands with they way they portray them.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Guspaz wrote:

I just watched episode 7, which pointed out that he's used them twice (once in episode 1, I think, and once in this latest episode); once for something relatively insignificant and once to free Shera from mind control. So, you CAN technically use the slave collars to command your "slaves" to do whatever you want to even if it's something they wouldn't want to, and most likely, they'll be fully awake and sentient as their bodies are doing whatever it is you commanded them to.

So yes, for the two of them, the collars have no negative impact since Diablo isn't really interested in controlling them. They have a VERY negative impact for whoever is collared to someone who would, though. And as episode 7 showed us, there are apparently other ways you can completely control someone other than the collars. And let's not forget that our two female leads -- Rem in particular, it would seem, but Shera was certainly in on it too -- summoned Diablo to their summoning circle so that they could control him with that selfsame collar.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Demon Lord has great characterization which includes the protagonist and I think it is the best example of that since Re:Zero. That Diablo's own self doubts made him question whether Shera's surprise departure was because of magic or if that was just an idea that he wanted to believe. The mysterious flute playing and her speech that contradicted what she had said earlier were very fishy but his own self doubts made him question whether she was just pretending to be a friend. It wasn't until Rem said that she was going to see Shera that he decided that he would go. Also the author really went all out on making Keera a creepy villain and he does a good job at writing different types of villains.

Northlander wrote:
And let's not forget that our two female leads -- Rem in particular, it would seem, but Shera was certainly in on it too -- summoned Diablo to their summoning circle so that they could control him with that selfsame collar.
To be fair to Rem and Shera the summons in their world are magic animals which is why they were surprised when Diablo started talking since they had never heard of a talking summon.
Doompa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:21 am Reply with quote
The review this week manages to be both praising and condescending as of typing on a soap box.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 was great. I had a bit of everything: great action, genuinely moving emotions and a very nice ecchi scene. How Not to Summon a Demon Lord is right now one of the better isekai show I have watched.
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On that note, I definitely wasn't crazy about the episode-ending fanservice of Diablo drunkenly assaulting Sylvie, but that's because I know the show can do fanservice better too!

spoiler[To be fair, Diablo got so drunk, that he thought Sylvie was a hug pillow.] It makes the scene all the more funny, not cringe-y as the review makes it seem.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:06 am Reply with quote
Well looks aside, Sylvie isnt exactly a kid considering that she's not only the guild master but she's also a spoiler[war veteran who fought along with Galford in the previous war 30 FREAKIN YEARS AGO]
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:58 am Reply with quote
The ecchi scene with Sylvie was gross. Yes, we are told narratively that she's 30+ year olds, but no, that doesn't make it easy to watch Diablo accidentally grope her physically ~10 year old self. If you're into that, well -- OK, it's fictional ish, so whatever. But don't expect other people to write it off as inoffensive.

Enjoyed the episode otherwise, though. Actually seems to put in more effort than Overlord in some ways.

The show needs some real threats to Diablo to make it interesting. Glad this episode stepped in that direction, seemingly, with Galford. Being a weak porn substitute with some OK isekai elements isn't much of a recommendation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7