• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teferi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
meiam wrote:

No idea but my speculation are either:

The original web novel (I feel like there's always an original web novel) was actually all about slave girl and when it was time to make the LN the editor turn that way down.

Or

The author though he would push that part a lot more but since there were so many similar story at the time he changed his mind.

Many Isekai LN have slavery and MC with slave girls as part of the harem. Is usually a plot device to make a MC a savor of a girl were she become his slave from free will and become in love with the MC. Sometimes she became his slave so she don't have to be a slave of some bad character.
But slavery is usually downplayed after that. The girls are slaves but are not treated as that.

Most Isekai are on fantasy places based on medieval ages where slaves where very common.

I don't believe that any LN editor or publisher will tell a author to remove slavery from a LN. Is just not something that would cause any trouble for the LN in Japan.

Lets be honest, there are plenty of fantasy series that don't bother with slavery. Almost all Isekai series just use it to push the male power trip fantasies about the MC being a nice guy saving a girl. Some of them don't even bother with that pretense and just straight up have the MC admit he's buying a slave waifu to sleep with. I get that it's less of an issue for Japan than say the US but it's still comes of as creepy in pretty much every Isekai series I've ever read.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Pink Loli is literally Astolfo and it's throwing me off something fierce.

Fairly entertaining anime though.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:48 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
also, while I don't really care for the slavery quirk, I also find myself wondering why it is so downplayed when it is in the freaking original japanese title. why would an author call his entire series, not just a volume "the Demon lord from another world and the Summoner girl's slaving magic" just to then only use it for ocasional cheap gags and as a half-hearted plot device? don't get me wrong. I am enjoying the anime so far, it is just that I founf it interesting
A title that catches the eye in a Japanese bookstore can be the difference between a 20+ volume series and a 2 volume series. There are a lot of isekai light novel series already are on the market which is why different themes are attempted with various levels of success. At the moment one of the big themes in isekai light novels is the protagonist getting reincarnated as something inhuman such as a lich, a slime, or a spider. In the Japanese light novel industry the slavery theme is just a way to get attention. Considering how little the slavery theme matters in the Demon Lord story I can understand why they decided to go with a different title for the light novels and anime when they released them in English.

Key wrote:
Oh, I think it's at least going to have stiff competition from Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs on the bolded point. I found the first episode of that one a lot sexier than anything that Demon Lord has shown so far.
I think both shows are entertaining but from what I have seen Yuuna is an old school romantic comedy harem while Demon Lord is a fantasy adventure harem. How you would rank them does depend on what type of show you prefer.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:21 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Key wrote:
Oh, I think it's at least going to have stiff competition from Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs on the bolded point. I found the first episode of that one a lot sexier than anything that Demon Lord has shown so far.
I think both shows are entertaining but from what I have seen Yuuna is an old school romantic comedy harem while Demon Lord is a fantasy adventure harem. How you would rank them does depend on what type of show you prefer.

I'd agree on this if we're talking about how you'd rank them in general. If we're purely talking about a fan service comparison, though, then Yuuna decidedly has the edge so far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:31 am Reply with quote
seltzermx wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
Also I think Rem is of the one of the best looking catgirls in anime.

Ah, i see you're a man of culture as well.

Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu is probaly the best power fantasy of the season. The plot is good. The characters are very likeable, Our MC inner toughs are so funny. And the fan-service is well balanced. The best will be the BD's but have to wait for them.

The uncensored eps are already out there if you know where to look. CR only gets the censored versions. And it's not even just "whiting" out the ecchi bits. There's even different animation at times. In ep 2 when Shera mounts Diablo, she's actually humping him in the uncensored version. CR is still image.

It's worth noting that you're talking about the AT-X broadcast which, while it does have less censoring than the other public broadcasts, is still not completely uncensored. (AT-X doesn't air it with an age-restriction, while they normally would for uncut broadcasts.)

The true uncut footage for Demon Lord won't be publicly available until the Blu-ray releases in Japan.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
btw, one thing I noticed that they completely skipped in the anime is that in the game version he played, evoker magic users (shooting fireballs, lightning, direct attack types) were considered the most powerful magic category which is why he used it, while summoning was considered weak and not used much.

In the fantasy world version it's the opposite, there are virtually no magic users that use direct magic attacks as they are universally weak but summons on the other hand are very powerful. So Diablo is considered an enigma because he's able to use such powerful attack spells while not having any summoning versions.

It's only brought up briefly in the manga and not referenced a whole lot but it's just something to keep in mind.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
S0crates wrote:
Overlord, but with a human protagonist and no empire (yet). Can basically go anywhere from here.

and he's not an utter ASS unlike the one from overlord!

very curious on who their going to have as diablo for the eventual english dub version!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
James S.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
How do I say it, even if the anime doesn't end up as well received as I'd hope it too, it's basically impossible to deny that the creators really did put in a lot of effort into the making of this show, as if they truly enjoyed what they were making from the bottom of their hearts or something cheesy like that.

From the overall largely consistent animation and artwork quality, impressive musical score, properly done voice acting, and even some key attention to minor details they did such as the water rushing back from the explosion, Demon Lord was produced at a higher standard that most would assume it has no right of being held to. In comparison we have shows like Einherjar and Re'Union who have an over reliance on CGi (both) and/or rely on shaking stills for their fight (more Einherjar), don't really pay attention to background details happening in a scene (both), and sometimes a little more underwhelming soundtrack than you'd hope for a scene (more Einherjar in this case though Re'Union has moments).

Anyway, I had read the novels long before an adaptation was announced and liked the story as well, so seeing that this was done pretty amazingly well for the genre it's a part of is really making me happy.
S0crates

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I hope they continue with the larger scale war business and behind the scenes assassinations. It makes things more interesting, even if you as the supreme leader is essentially immortal, it doesn't benefit you if you don't manage your underlings correctly and they all perish (making the protagonist a king of ashes). Also +shockpoints for going all out cruelty on the enemy, I didn't expect this show to go that dark to mercilessly exterminate an enemy that cry for mercy in such a manner, though it was deserved. It's welcoming to have such events though as it helps bringing the seriousness of situations to the forefront, which makes the in-between fan-service function more as a comic relief rather than a distraction.

They clearly copy Overlord a lot, and even if the OP screams "harem" anime, there's very little of this taking the larger spotlight just yet. I was really surprised by the ending of episode 4, which kinda indicate that they are taking their time, and if anything he's closer to conscripting "the pretty shining knight" rather than any new chicks so far. Normally I'd have a clear image as for where the story is going after 4 episodes, but this one can basically go in any direction still.

James S. wrote:
How do I say it, even if the anime doesn't end up as well received as I'd hope it too, it's basically impossible to deny that the creators really did put in a lot of effort into the making of this show, as if they truly enjoyed what they were making from the bottom of their hearts or something cheesy like that.

From the overall largely consistent animation and artwork quality, impressive musical score, properly done voice acting, and even some key attention to minor details they did such as the water rushing back from the explosion, Demon Lord was produced at a higher standard that most would assume it has no right of being held to.

Ye, I agree. I must admit that I assumed it was going to tank when I saw the OP, and thought initially that this was this season's "Boy With Smartphone" or "Death March". I was pleasantly surprised when they seem to actually try to put some debt into it rather than pandering with cute waifus none stop. There's a lot of people watching this show from the trending tabs though, so it seems pretty popular. As for the "Best and Worst" rankings... I don't think I've seen such a wild swapping of all the series in the opening weeks yet. It's as if every series wants to be Darlings in the Franxx from last season that bounced up and down in each episode quality like crazy. Also 7 of the top 8 are continuations, so you can expect that to flat out as people who don't like particular types of shows will drop the newer series, meaning the scores of those will rise if they continue to perform towards their target demographic. That said I feel this series is pulling some bait'n switch in that it seems to be a harem anime at first glance but actually is going more towards the larger grand strategy theme. That may change going forward though, but it's where we're at.

jr240483 wrote:
S0crates wrote:
Overlord, but with a human protagonist and no empire (yet). Can basically go anywhere from here.

and he's not an utter ASS unlike the one from overlord!

very curious on who their going to have as diablo for the eventual english dub version!

Haha, ye. The voice acting for this guy will be super important, and also difficult. Not often men has to perform as they tend to be bland slates at times, but this guy needs those tones to hit. He has to sound super thuggish, secure and commanding when speaking, but the complete opposite when he's thinking, all while coming off as a "tough, but fair"-guy.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:07 pm Reply with quote
This show is more vicious than I would have guessed and the battle left dozens of people dead and the episode even showed a funeral for them afterwards. This is a harem isekai show but it has some edge to it. That everyone is carefully planning their battle strategies to increase their odds of winning was nicely done and it looks like the author wanted to make a world that would allow for a serious adventure story. It was also nice to have an isekai protagonist that doesn't hold back while fighting which does give more impact to the battles in this show.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:28 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
This show is more vicious than I would have guessed and the battle left dozens of people dead and the episode even showed a funeral for them afterwards. This is a harem isekai show but it has some edge to it. That everyone is carefully planning their battle strategies to increase their odds of winning was nicely done and it looks like the author wanted to make a world that would allow for a serious adventure story. It was also nice to have an isekai protagonist that doesn't hold back while fighting which does give more impact to the battles in this show.

I also like what the series is doing so far, but I would point out that Overlord has done all of the things you mention, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quote
Overlord spends less time leering at its main cast, though -- it seems more like an isekai with fanservice elements, I think, while How not to Summon a Demon Lord on the other hand places ecchi antics center-stage, but breaks from the usual contours of the genre by treating its world and characters somewhat seriously. I share others' surprise that this show seems to care about its quality of execution and storytelling a great deal more than ecchi titles normally seem to.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Like not all the battle shonen are all the same even with all the generic cliches battle shonen stores have, not all isekai are the same even with all the generic cliches ecchi isekai power fantasy/harem have. It all depends on execution of the story and those cliches.

Even if Isekai Maou have all the cliches of isekai power fantasy/harem, the way they are used in the story, makes this story a good one. Also it helps that the quality of anime is high.

Just don't go dismiss a anime just because is a isekai ecchi power fantasy. Some of them like Isekai Maou are great. Just give them a few episodes/chapters.
Doompa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:58 am Reply with quote
Our main character realizing that he didn't have enough power to win outright creates some real tension that results in more interesting storytelling.

So of course Diablo pulls an instant-win spell out of his ass at the last minute and teleports off to save the day.

I don't understand why the reviewer phrases the review like this. It is pretty contradictory.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Doompa wrote:
Our main character realizing that he didn't have enough power to win outright creates some real tension that results in more interesting storytelling.

So of course Diablo pulls an instant-win spell out of his ass at the last minute and teleports off to save the day.

I don't understand why the reviewer phrases the review like this. It is pretty contradictory.

I think his point is that it seemed to be going that way at first, then pulled a bait-and-switch to the more lazy option. Three steps forward, two steps back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7