• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Cells at Work!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Cancer's backstory also didn't work for me. I think due to my background in biology the idea of cancerous cells being sympathetic is just such an odd one. I appreciate the manga artist trying to give cancer a sympathetic background (after all, the world is more interesting because people see the same things in different ways), but yeah, I can totally see this episode being a hit or miss emotionally with viewers, and for me it was also a miss.
CyberLance

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:03 am Reply with quote
In Japan that something is colorful and cute does not mean that its aimed at kids or that it cant have violent, sexual, complex or disturbing things in it like people think here in the west.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
^ Absolutely. Although in my experience, plenty of Western kids stuff does have violent/disturbing content wrapped up in a bright candy package. Have you seen Dale Bayse's Heck: Where the Bad Kids Go? Or Derek Landry's Skullduggery Pleasant series? Those are both middle grade titles and are much more grim than anything this show has whipped out.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Yay, something that's not monster of the week and take advantages of the setting! Bit disappointed that most of the episode was about red blood cell learning to navigate the body when that's not how it work at all (there's no shipping address, they just go wherever), but I'll take what I can get at this point.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That all of the other red blood cells know he's there adds some humor to the proceedings, not just in the weird looks they give him, but also in the confused and sometimes snide commentary about what that random neutrophil could be doing in amongst the RBCs

But why wouldn't he be there? There's no sorting out of immune cells from the blood before it goes to the heart or anywhere else. There wouldn't be a lot of them, but there would be some. Same for platelets and other blood cells that aren't RBCs. So not so accurate, but still funny. Very Happy

Haven't we seen RBC delivering O2 before? Surely she's been to the heart and lungs before, and not carting around the same load of CO2 she had in episode 1? oO
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:44 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
That all of the other red blood cells know he's there adds some humor to the proceedings, not just in the weird looks they give him, but also in the confused and sometimes snide commentary about what that random neutrophil could be doing in amongst the RBCs

But why wouldn't he be there? There's no sorting out of immune cells from the blood before it goes to the heart or anywhere else. There wouldn't be a lot of them, but there would be some. Same for platelets and other blood cells that aren't RBCs. So not so accurate, but still funny. Very Happy

Haven't we seen RBC delivering O2 before? Surely she's been to the heart and lungs before, and not carting around the same load of CO2 she had in episode 1? oO

He wasn't even the only WBC in the same scene. Perhaps the joke might have worked better if it had been the Senpai RBC who said that rather than some rando
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:50 am Reply with quote
I really loved this episode! Even though there was a bit too much straight up exposition, it was sweet and funny and not overly complicated. I thought Killer T's reaction to Neutrophyl's speech about getting to know other cells was a bit too melodramatic, but overall I laughed a lot and found it quite satisfying to see Red so happy about doing her job right for a change

meiam wrote:
that's not how it work at all (there's no shipping address, they just go wherever)

Yeah, I'm so disappointed in this show, it's nothing like how the body works in real life. Like, Red Blood Cells don't actually have trolley carts and boxes, and Neutrophyls don't carry knives, what kind of nonsense are they "teaching" with this? Rolling Eyes
/sarcasm
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:12 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I thought Killer T's reaction to Neutrophyl's speech about getting to know other cells was a bit too melodramatic

Maybe, but he was just being super tsundere, and it looks like we'll get the story on how he became that way next week.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:39 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

meiam wrote:
that's not how it work at all (there's no shipping address, they just go wherever)

Yeah, I'm so disappointed in this show, it's nothing like how the body works in real life. Like, Red Blood Cells don't actually have trolley carts and boxes, and Neutrophyls don't carry knives, what kind of nonsense are they "teaching" with this? Rolling Eyes
/sarcasm

What I mean is that there's no analogy to "getting lost", the trolley and box are just the cell carrying oxygen, the knives are just the protein they use for attacking cell. But blood is literally a one way system, cell can't get lost because there just traveling around on the flow, i.e. red blood cell is bad at her job because of something she doesn't have to do. If they wanted to give her a ditzy trait instead she could have constantly dropped her package, or maybe forgot to trade in her CO2 after going to trough the lung or constantly pick up CO by mistake or something like that. It's small little detail like that that move a show from decent to really good.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:49 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
I thought Killer T's reaction to Neutrophyl's speech about getting to know other cells was a bit too melodramatic

Maybe, but he was just being super tsundere, and it looks like we'll get the story on how he became that way next week.

He's still mad because of the way NK laughed at him last week. They're such an obvious ship.
piebaker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

meiam wrote:

/sarcasm

What I mean is that there's no analogy to "getting lost", the trolley and box are just the cell carrying oxygen, the knives are just the protein they use for attacking cell. But blood is literally a one way system, cell can't get lost because there just traveling around on the flow, i.e. red blood cell is bad at her job because of something she doesn't have to do. If they wanted to give her a ditzy trait instead she could have constantly dropped her package, or maybe forgot to trade in her CO2 after going to trough the lung or constantly pick up CO by mistake or something like that. It's small little detail like that that move a show from decent to really good.

I saw a post somewhere that guessed how RBC might hint at sickle cell anemia, hence her ahoge and tendency to get lost/"stuck". Otherwise, it's likely that her clumsiness could just be a convenient way for exposition.
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Irl red blood cells don't do that either so it would still be unrealistic.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:31 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Still don't remember if we've seen it, but there's no doubt she's been through the circulation before. It's been brought to my attention that the RBCs' outfits are reversible - light with dark trim when carrying O2, darker with light trim when hauling CO2 (which they don't actually do, any more than they carry nutrients), and we've seen her wearing both versions. That's a pretty nifty detail, that went right over my head.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Alternative Ice wrote:
meiam wrote:

Irl red blood cells don't do that either so it would still be unrealistic.

Oxygen/CO2 exchange is a dynamic process, cells are constantly gaining and losing them, just at different rate depending on the environment and just random luck. Statistically there's certainly plenty of red blood cell who probably quickly lose all there oxygen in high oxygen area trough bad luck.

CO poising is very real and somethings that's constantly happening (there's a tiny amount of CO that's being made in the air we breath, low enough that it's not a problem though). CO has actually an incredibly high affinity for hemoglobin, so high that it doesn't let go, making the hemoglobin un-usable.
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

She was ambushed in episode 1 while attempting to carry O2, but the bacteria was in the box instead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5