• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Anime to Premiere on Toonami on September 29

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GolfDude

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
dont forget season 2 of one punch man is likely to find its way into the rotation when it finally shows up..
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
Weird we're getting Boruto before Shippuden's dub finishes, but I'm not complaining.

Looking forward to this. I've been wanting to check the anime out for a while now but wanted to wait for the dub. Glad it's coming a lot sooner than expected.

Yeah, on the one hand I'm surprised but on the other I'm not since there's so much Shippuden still left which would make Boruto even older by the time it'd come to Toonami if they waited that long.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
GolfDude wrote:
dont forget season 2 of one punch man is likely to find its way into the rotation when it finally shows up..

Yeah, that's another great one that I think they'll fast-track on.
ECW28

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:08 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
LagannImpact wrote:
Now the question becomes "what does Toonami do with Naruto Shippuden?" Call me crazy, but I believe it may actually get a weeknight run, at 8:30 after Dragon Ball Super reruns.

not quite. its more than likely they will replace jojo's timeslot or FLCL alternative's timeslot since it will be a while before diamond is unbreakable is released!

however, for what their going to do about shippuden, even I'm wondering about that!

considering that their in the 5 kage summit arc RIGHT NOW which is a long time away from the 4th great war arc let alone the kaguya arc & the final valley arc, having the series show would have a lot of people that DON'T watch subs or the manga really confused!

also the other question is that will the dub be a world time premiere on toonami Ala bleach & hunter x hunter, or will they give it the shippuden treatment??????

the worst case scenario would be for them to completely drop the series just like with one piece which would not bode well!

the series is more or less paying for the mistakes viz and CN did by letting the series premiere on Disney X.D which have hindered it ever since. if it was allowed to be shown on AS from the start, we would probably be in the wedding arc already!

Ok, let’s clarify: Diamond Is Unbreakable and Attack on Titan Season 3 both premiere August 18. Also, Shippuden is staying put, so it’ll be the same as when they aired Super and Kai back to back
ECW28

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
I don't like this because it looks like DeMarco and crew are digging a hole that they can't or don't want to get out of.

Granted long running shows provide stability for the block, but this just look bad for the block.

Right now Toonami has just two time slots to play around with for new shows. The PTE/FLCL slots. Every other slot either belongs to a long runner or a rerun.
-Super has over a year left. But by then Toei will probaly have some new DB show to trot out.
-Jojo is going into part 4 and MHA will probably go into S2.
BC and HxH have less than a year left
-Naruto is not gonna finish till like 2024/25 if Toonami is still airing unless you move it to weeknights now that Adultswim has lost both King of the Hill and Cleveland Show to Comedy Central. But I don't see that happening
-The final hour and a half are taken up by Dandy and the 5395483219160294th airing of Bebop and Ghost in the Shell.

Seeing as Boruto is airing right when PTE end, that leaves literally 1 slot for something new unless he replaces Dandy with something. That one slot is the FLCL slot which is gonna be doubled which will take us to November/December. By then who know if we get another rerun or something new. 2019 is gonna be a grind waiting for Black Clover and HunterxHutner to end.

CatSword wrote:
This is the safe choice - potentially for the future of Toonami - but I do wish it would've been something like Megalo Box or Re:Zero.

Stuff like that comes when shows like Fooly Cooly/HunterxHunter/PTE/BC end.

You forgot that Attack on Titan Season 3 is most likely replacing Dandy. And Lupin Part IV took over for GITS
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
I don't like this because it looks like DeMarco and crew are digging a hole that they can't or don't want to get out of.

Granted long running shows provide stability for the block, but this just look bad for the block.

-Naruto is not gonna finish till like 2024/25 if Toonami is still airing unless you move it to weeknights now that Adultswim has lost both King of the Hill and Cleveland Show to Comedy Central. But I don't see that happening

I didn't know they weren't going to have the Cleveland Show either. I figured they would keep that around since adult swim airs Family Guy and American Dad every night. Then again, those shows are still going. Plus, it doesn't have near as many episodes as King of the Hill, so it probably wasn't going to last as long.

I am surprised to see this announcement since Toonami is nowhere near done with Shippuuden, but I suppose it makes sense. The people watching that will likely watch Boruto, and the previous pairing of Kai and Super suggests Toonami isn't too worried about doing things in order.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Did the Adult Swim people look at the ratings in Japan before buying a license? It would've been wiser to bring back One Piece Dubs, especially when it was about to start a very popular set of arcs. That or bring back an old series like Full Metal Panic with Season 4 later in the Winter season.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I was just wondering what would take Pop Team Epic’s spot on September 29th, but think I would rather have Pop Team Epic reruns than Boruto. Just way too soon for it since having Shippuden only being 1 episode a week is just not cutting it. That was probably why One Piece left. Long series are just a bad idea for Toonami as long as they remain weekly instead of like weekdays. Hell even just having Toonami being on Saturday and Sunday would be better so could at least get double Shippuden episodes.
ECW28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:11 am Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
I was just wondering what would take Pop Team Epic’s spot on September 29th, but think I would rather have Pop Team Epic reruns than Boruto. Just way too soon for it since having Shippuden only being 1 episode a week is just not cutting it. That was probably why One Piece left. Long series are just a bad idea for Toonami as long as they remain weekly instead of like weekdays. Hell even just having Toonami being on Saturday and Sunday would be better so could at least get double Shippuden episodes.

Yeah, but Demarco even said at one point that Toonami will most likely air all of Shippuden. He never said that about One Piece
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:04 am Reply with quote
[quote="ECW28”]Yeah, but Demarco even said at one point that Toonami will most likely air all of Shippuden. He never said that about One Piece[/quote]

I’m not really that worried about Shippuden leaving before it ends like original Naruto. I was speaking of long series on Toonami just don’t mix and just needs to move faster like a Shippuden hour.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:32 am Reply with quote
Toonami could speed up the shippuden run if they just cut out all of the filler episodes.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:56 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Toonami could speed up the shippuden run if they just cut out all of the filler episodes.

even if they excluded all of the fillers , it wouldn't work unless they bring back the midnight run!

at least viz didn't make the same mistake TWICE and have the series show on disney x.d AGAIN or WORSE, have the series show on NICK!!

the backlash would be even worse than having shippuden on disney. they better not screw this up, otherwise they really have the risk of being labeled in the same breath as 4kids which nearly happened for them after the disastrous dubs for eyeshield 21 & blue dragon!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ECW28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:53 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:

They cannot do that. Also, filler material seems to get better ratings than canon. The working theory is that people have already watched Shippuden, and are watching the filler material on Toonami for the first time, because they skipped over it initially
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:15 am Reply with quote
ECW28 wrote:
AnimeLordLuis wrote:

They cannot do that. Also, filler material seems to get better ratings than canon. The working theory is that people have already watched Shippuden, and are watching the filler material on Toonami for the first time, because they skipped over it initially

That makes sense. At least personally speaking, I'm aware of how the story turns out, but not so much with the filler.

I'm sure that the licensors have a say in whether Toonami is able to skip filler, and I would assume that answer is no. It's also possible they don't want to get too wrapped up in what is filler that they could cut. There was a muli-episode arc about capturing the Three-Tailed Beast that wasn't in the manga, but still ties into it, for example.
ECW28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:30 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
ECW28 wrote:
AnimeLordLuis wrote:

That makes sense. At least personally speaking, I'm aware of how the story turns out, but not so much with the filler.

I'm sure that the licensors have a say in whether Toonami is able to skip filler, and I would assume that answer is no. It's also possible they don't want to get too wrapped up in what is filler that they could cut. There was a muli-episode arc about capturing the Three-Tailed Beast that wasn't in the manga, but still ties into it, for example.

Actually, I think the problem lies with the fact that they purchase the episodes in bulk. Viz gives them a certain amount of episodes, and it includes both canon and filler. Toonami doesn’t have a say in selecting which episodes they purchase because of this
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3