Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Harukana Receive


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4326
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
Wow, Harukana Receive has become really good in the last 3 episodes. If the finale is strong I will consider buying this show on BD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
darkchibi07



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 4991
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:14 am Reply with quote
Is it safe to say Harukana Receive is a worthy male-aimed counterpart of Free? It has both the intrinsic fanservice without being too intrusive and a solid sports show with well-developed characters and relationships (with bonus shipping!). The only bummer thing is this that this didn't seem to make a bigger splash among the community or get the lavish animation treatment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
#HayamiLover



Joined: 22 Jul 2018
Posts: 478
Location: Eastern Europe
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:33 am Reply with quote
Well, although the HaruKana's victory (as I see from the discussions) is still controversial, I liked how the studio worked with show's final. I definitely was not mistaken when in August I called this show one of my favorites in the season.

angelmcazares wrote:
Wow, Harukana Receive has become really good in the last 3 episodes. If the finale is strong I will consider buying this show on BD.


Yeah, I was expecting something trivial in the end, but the ending surpassed all my expectations for CGDCT show.

darkchibi07 wrote:
Is it safe to say Harukana Receive is a worthy male-aimed counterpart of Free? It has both the intrinsic fanservice without being too intrusive and a solid sports show with well-developed characters and relationships (with bonus shipping!). The only bummer thing is this that this didn't seem to make a bigger splash among the community or get the lavish animation treatment.


Well, I do not remember the ecchi element in Free and I'm not sure that the all-male show can be so intimate, but why not? It seems that both shows set similar goals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Hayabusa



Joined: 30 May 2012
Posts: 1263
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:06 am Reply with quote
All in all, this turned out to be a pretty cute girls anime with a balance between sports and fanservice and a nice dash of yuri. I wish it had the animation quality of Hanebado but unlike that show, this was straight up all about sexy girls doing sports things.

darkchibi07 wrote:
Is it safe to say Harukana Receive is a worthy male-aimed counterpart of Free? It has both the intrinsic fanservice without being too intrusive and a solid sports show with well-developed characters and relationships (with bonus shipping!). The only bummer thing is this that this didn't seem to make a bigger splash among the community or get the lavish animation treatment.


Oh please, do not make such silly comparison. You do know that this show has a LOT of butt shots that you can make a drinking game out of it. Harukana may not have the anticipation or production of Free but I happily prefer this one over that or any of FujoAni's recent ones.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr.N0



Joined: 04 Oct 2012
Posts: 124
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
This somehow became my favourite show of the season. I would gladly watch a sequel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikkio92



Joined: 25 Sep 2014
Posts: 25
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:15 am Reply with quote
I thoroughly enjoyed this anime, and I'm so glad I've been following it with you, Lauren!

You're exactly right, and this is exactly how I've been feeling throughout: Harukana Receive was never meant to be a massive hit, it was always conscious of its 'place' as a low stakes, happy summer anime, but it delivered what it set out to splendidly!

It gave us cheerfulness, it gave us excitement, it gave us real relationships without being overly cheesy.

This is the kind of show that most people would really enjoy if they gave it a chance instead of dismissing it before even trying, especially because it's always a great feeling when a show you have low expectations of positively surprises you.

I felt the same with Houkago no Pleiades and Rolling Girls - no crazy concepts or big promises, just good characters and all the bases solidly covered. I'd take these 3 over a Darling in the Franxx-type anime every day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greed1914
It's Over 9000!It's Over 9000!


Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 3315
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:42 am Reply with quote
Vikkio92 wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed this anime, and I'm so glad I've been following it with you, Lauren!

You're exactly right, and this is exactly how I've been feeling throughout: Harukana Receive was never meant to be a massive hit, it was always conscious of its 'place' as a low stakes, happy summer anime, but it delivered what it set out to splendidly!

It gave us cheerfulness, it gave us excitement, it gave us real relationships without being overly cheesy.

This is the kind of show that most people would really enjoy if they gave it a chance instead of dismissing it before even trying, especially because it's always a great feeling when a show you have low expectations of positively surprises you.

I felt the same with Houkago no Pleiades and Rolling Girls - no crazy concepts or big promises, just good characters and all the bases solidly covered. I'd take these 3 over a Darling in the Franxx-type anime every day.


It was surprising how much I enjoyed it. Actually, I think I have to give it credit for why I also stuck around for Hanebado, even though I'm not very much into sports anime. I don't know that I would have stuck around for how serious that show got if Harukana Receive didn't balance it out with a sports anime where it's mostly about having fun playing a game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zensunni



Joined: 05 Mar 2010
Posts: 1260
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:47 am Reply with quote
This was a really enjoyable show! I'd love to see either a sequel series or movie that takes us through the Valkyrie Cup or even on to the pair playing for a college team or spoiler[the semi-pro team one of the former Valkyrie Cup winners is planning to start. (Which is introduced in the manga in the chapters right after the end of the anime. This includes a rematch against Natsuki and Ayasa for a magazine shoot and gives the backstory on how that pair became partners. There should be plenty of material.)]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group