• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Angels of Death

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
futuresoon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Loving this series and agree with everything the viewer has said.

futuresoon wrote:

One thing to note about Ray and Zack is that their relationship absolutely isn't intended to be read as romantic. I mean, Ray's 13 and Zack's in his twenties, so. That's one reason.

You act like that's a good enough reason. Laughing

Well, it's the reason easiest to quantify, since "but their relationship is so ~complicated~!" is harder to get across. Though I think episode 5 did a decent job of showing it.

Interestingly, the dollhouse puzzle isn't in the game--instead there's a fairly generic "get across this room" puzzle that doesn't really give any character development. The backstory dump is all in Zack's dream. I suppose combining the dream's info with the next room was a good way to save time.

They're really blazing through the story, though, if they're gonna finish B3 and start B2 in the next episode, which seems likely. That'd leave episodes 7-16 for B2 and B1, but I really don't think they need that much time, so they'd have to add a lot. I'm super curious what the extra 4 episodes will be.
Lizuka wrote:
Admittedly I'm not far into the game (which I picked up a few days ago) or the show at the moment, but having just checked it out... I'm not really feeling it as an adaptation?
I dunno, maybe it gets better but judging off the first episode it feels like it's moving way too fast through material that's not that substantive to begin with and the characters don't quite feel right to me. Plus I prefer the game's more cartoony art style but that's a minor quibble.

The first episode of the anime is the worst, IMO. I'm pretty sure the reason the pacing is so fucked is because they wanted to get to "Please kill me" by the end of the episode; once they do that, things slow down a bit. But yeah, the game's got more...character, I guess? The simpler art style makes the writing stand out more, and honestly some of the gags work better with the limited expressions of the sprites.
zztop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:03 pm Reply with quote
[quote="futuresoon"]
They're really blazing through the story, though, if they're gonna finish B3 and start B2 in the next episode, which seems likely. That'd leave episodes 7-16 for B2 and B1, but I really don't think they need that much time, so they'd have to add a lot. I'm super curious what the extra 4 episodes will be. [/quote="futuresoon"]

Given the last 3 episodes are scheduled for an online-only broadcast while the 1st 13 are also for TV viewing, I'm wondering if the plan is to cover the entire game for the 13 episodes, and then reserve the final 3 for a backstory arc or otherwise that fills in the narrative gaps not mentioned in the main story.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Good to see the new eps have been good too, looking forward to catching up. Really liked the first three.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
I can't help but wish that Dr. Danny and Cathy's roles had been swapped. He was supposed to be a psychiatrist after all, and I'm not even sure what her gig is, other than puzzles.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, I'm just disappointed that he got killed off so quickly, since Sakurai was really chewing up the scenery during his all too brief stay. Smile
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Zack's been talking about her smile for the whole show, but he has a pretty great smile himself, and now it's up to her to protect it.

Oh thank God I wasn't the only one who thought so. I was worried I was losing my sanity. Razz

I'm giffing that elevator scene. Like, right now. It was kind of adorable.

............yeah, I think I'm losing my mind after all. Rolling Eyes

@futuresoon: Yeah, I guess I "future-ship" them. After/if Rachael gets older, I really like the idea of them being together. If they get out alive, that is. Tbh I'm terrified cause I like them both so much. I don't know what ending this show is going to throw at me...and I refuse to read ahead in the manga even though I could. But honestly, it doesn't really matter what relationship they have, as long as it's engaging to watch....and the series absolutely delivers.

{EDIT}
WHO WANTS THE GIF?

GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIF♥
NicoleNippah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Quote:
Zack's been talking about her smile for the whole show, but he has a pretty great smile himself, and now it's up to her to protect it.

Oh thank God I wasn't the only one who thought so. I was worried I was losing my sanity. Razz

I'm giffing that elevator scene. Like, right now. It was kind of adorable.

............yeah, I think I'm losing my mind after all. Rolling Eyes

@futuresoon: Yeah, I guess I "future-ship" them. After/if Rachael gets older, I really like the idea of them being together. If they get out alive, that is. Tbh I'm terrified cause I like them both so much. I don't know what ending this show is going to throw at me...and I refuse to read ahead in the manga even though I could. But honestly, it doesn't really matter what relationship they have, as long as it's engaging to watch....and the series absolutely delivers.

{EDIT}
WHO WANTS THE GIF?

GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIF♥

Zack's smile gave me life and it's now on my list of smiles that I want to protect.

I really like this episode and it was great the scene when Ray said "Bang" and shoot the gun, it gave some Inuyashiki vibes Very Happy

If they survive by the end of the series I also want Ray and Zack to be together forever, I don't care if it's platonic, romantic or like a sister and brother relationship.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:16 pm Reply with quote
NicoleNippah wrote:

Zack's smile gave me life and it's now on my list of smiles that I want to protect.

I really like this episode and it was great the scene when Ray said "Bang" and shoot the gun, it gave some Inuyashiki vibes Very Happy

If they survive by the end of the series I also want Ray and Zack to be together forever, I don't care if it's platonic, romantic or like a sister and brother relationship.

Right? RIGHT? Just one little smiling scene and he's suddenly moe as f**k. xD

Only anime I tell you. Only anime is capable of such things. Mind you, I always liked him in that "he really amuses me cause he's ridiculous" sort of way....but now......now it is a serious attachment.

Hellz yes, in that case, I'll share what I drew tonight lol
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:26 am Reply with quote
For some reason the line that got me was when he told her, "If it ever turns into a real smile, it'll be awesome." It felt like a big brother being prematurely proud of how amazing li'l sister is going to turn out to be when she grows up. Ridiculously heartwarming, considering the circumstances. Smile
Yazu13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Just caught up with this show after giving it a chance and I completely underestimated it. I'm so glad I didn't end up missing out, what a unique story.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Hi, Yazu13! Welcome to the party. Please watch for the puddles of blood (they stain clothes) and DO NOT leave your weapons at the door~ thank you! Anime hyper

Guys, I colored my art.
I love it. I loooooooooooooove it ♥
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:16 am Reply with quote
Wow, that episode just zipped by. When the ending theme (which I love, btw) started up, I was all "already?!" It felt like only 10 min had passed.

I hope she finds some blood bags of his type, along with sutures and "medicine." He's gonna need it. Shocked
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:29 am Reply with quote
As you can tell, I fell pretty hard for this and have been doing my homework. lol

*Believe it or not, the manga runs in a josei magazine.
Yes, that's right. The demographic is ADULT. WOMEN. I was really quite surprised by this because I really thought it was seinen. No, it's not. I am its target audience. This thrills me. Anime hyper

*The game is only four episodes long! So short! And it's available in English for ten bucks on Steam. I want. The ratings are very very high. People adore this thing.

*The manga is seven volumes long. There is also a short one that's a 4-koma, no doubt all comedy.

*There are three novels.

*There's something called Episode 0.

*Japan is absolutely nuts for ZackRay. You should see the pixv fanart results. Pages and pages and PAGES. They can't get enough of it. Anime hyper but don't worry, like 99.9% is totally SFW.

*We are not getting 12 episodes. We are getting sixteen. Yeah, for real!! Check the official website and the wiki!!

Gina Szanboti wrote:
When the ending theme (which I love, btw

Ikr, it's so melancholy but it gets stuck in your head. It feels and looks so lonely and foreboding, representing Ray's character perfectly.

Quote:
I hope she finds some blood bags of his type, along with sutures and "medicine." He's gonna need it. Shocked

For real, is he even fully HUMAN!? Anime hyper Between the electric chair and this absurd blood loss, it seems like he can take a hell of a lot more abuse than the average person.

And I've noticed this for a while but...his left eye is gold and the right is brown....I wonder if we'll get an explanation for that?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:08 am Reply with quote
I hadn't noticed the color difference because they're so tiny, but I had noticed that the irises are different sizes. I wonder if this is Danny's handiwork? Smile

I'm still waiting for more of his backstory. He's been swathed in bandages even as a kid - did someone set fire to him? Shocked
futuresoon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
*The game is only four episodes long! So short! And it's available in English for ten bucks on Steam. I want. The ratings are very very high. People adore this thing.

The game's actually one of the longer RPG Maker horror games I've played--it clocks in at 6-7 hours, whereas most of them are 1-4. I'm sure that's part of why it got an adaptation; it's got enough story to fill out a whole season. The ratings are accurate, by the way, so if you really love the anime, you should check it out. You won't have to wait weeks to see the ending, for one thing, but there's also a bit of Zack's backstory the anime didn't mention for some reason; it's a pretty big part of him, so I'm sure they're saving it, but if you want to know why he's bandaged, the game's already mentioned it by this point in the story.

I think the general consensus for the extra 4 episodes is that they'll be backstory for the villains, since there's 4 of them, the episodes will be online-only, and at this current rate the anime will finish the game's story within a standard 12. Not sure about Danny, though; the anime actually showed his backstory earlier than the game does, for some reason. So who knows. But I'm pretty confident it'll be more along the lines of bonus material than an actual continuation of the plot.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the info, futuresoon! I think I want to wait til the anime ends to buy the game. Spoilers, you know. xD But my gaming skills are laughable so it will probably take me longer than seven hours too. *laughs* (really, the only games I'm skilled at is the Spyro trilogy for PS xD)

@Ginza: I expect we'll learn all about Zack when Rachael goes to get the knife from his floor. spoiler[But you are right about one of those things!]

I actually did get Eddie's backstory from volume 02 of the manga. Wow. That kid was weird. Lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6