• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Angels of Death

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
futuresoon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
The sentient green goo is actually Zack's vomit from back when Ray asked him to kill her, which doesn't actually explain the transformation or its effects, but since it seems pretty clear she's hallucinating, the real question is why that snapped her out of it in the first place. The connection to Zack, maybe? Kind of gross, though.

Complaining about changes in an adaptation is overdone, but I do feel obligated to mention that in the game Ray only kills the "hands" (which are implied to be something real and alive outside the hallucination) when she realizes she needs to to complete the puzzle, not just because she feels like it. I get why they would take out the puzzle for the sake of time, but it's weird that they changed her motivation too. Ray's more of a "destroy everything that gets in my way" type than just a "destroy everything" type.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I cried.

Episode 08 made me cry. I even made a banner with the quote.
"Broken children make me feel things I don't want to feel."

Had that poor man been spared and become his new guardian, Zack might have had a chance to turn out semi-normal. Though I don't really know much about raising kids, according to Sanada, he is ten in that flashback...so he probably wasn't TOO far gone yet....then again maybe I'm wrong.

But he's so broken now. And that was heart-wrenching to witness.

futuresoon wrote:
The sentient green goo is actually Zack's vomit from back when Ray asked him to kill her, which doesn't actually explain the transformation or its effects, but since it seems pretty clear she's hallucinating, the real question is why that snapped her out of it in the first place. The connection to Zack, maybe? Kind of gross, though.

I KNEW IT. Laughing I knew that's what that was; saw a comment by another player along the lines of "Man, I did not expect THAT to attack me; this game has weird sh**" Yeah, that's pretty WTF. Anime hyper It's kinda funny though. Be funnier if it stayed that rainbow color Lmao. Laughing (it was a serious scene so they can't do that)
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Rachel clearly getting tired of Gray's shit and just stop him from talking was indeed hilarious.

And I didn't catch the potential de-spelling after that green goo but after thinking about the scene again I think the goo was part of the hallucination but it disappeared and the color turned back too normal after she fell and cut her hand, you saw the blood when she scraped her hand on the broken glass. I think the pain from that is what turned her back to normal and the goo was a misdirection.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:11 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Rachel clearly getting tired of Gray's shit and just stop him from talking was indeed hilarious.

LOL "Um my friend is like dying on the floor so can you please STFU so I can be on my way?"

Can't blame her. Laughing

I think you're right about the pain of the cut snapping her out of it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:13 am Reply with quote
I think I had expressed hope at one point that Danny might get to come back (if so, it was the victim of an unfortunate moderation accident), so I definitely sat up when his body was gone, and burst into yays at the ending. Smile I do so hope he's not a hallucination.

futuresoon wrote:
...in the game Ray only kills the "hands" (which are implied to be something real and alive outside the hallucination) when she realizes she needs to to complete the puzzle, not just because she feels like it. ... Ray's more of a "destroy everything that gets in my way" type than just a "destroy everything" type.

I don't see how that's different from what we saw. The hands were grabbing her feet, so they were "in her way." She just efficiently wiped them out before they could impede her further, not just because she felt like it.
futuresoon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:36 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't see how that's different from what we saw. The hands were grabbing her feet, so they were "in her way." She just efficiently wiped them out before they could impede her further, not just because she felt like it.

I guess I'm not describing it right--in the game, the hands are just scurrying around and not bothering her, she leaves them alone until she realizes she needs them. And even then, there's only one she actually kills; the rest she sews together to make a stick longer. (Puzzle game logic, am I right.) But in the anime, she immediately kills all of them. It's not a drastic change that ruins the show for me, it's just a nitpick. Maybe I just wish we'd gotten to see Ray stitching a bunch of screaming hands together.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:07 am Reply with quote
Ok, different motivations, different resulting actions, but neither seems like "destroy everything just because she feels like it." I think your last sentence nails the problem for you though. Wink
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Sanada has really done his homework. I was on the meaningofnames website and just out of curiosity, put in Rachael and Issac, respectively.

Rachael- (Israel) 'sacred lamb'.

Issac-(Israel) 'reward' but can also mean 'laughter' in Dutch.

Too fitting for both of them. He really knew exactly what he was doing when he named them. And fitting with the Catholic theme that Steve has mentioned a few times, they are of course both Biblical names as well.

Anyway, it is official.

These two goobers have taken over my sketchbook and refuse to give it back, it seems. :/ It's been a LONG-ASS time an anime/manga series has inspired me to draw this much. Quite remarkable, really. I haven't felt a spark like this since Full Moon Wo Sagashite first ignited it a whopping fifteen years ago.

See what happens if Ray were to meet another bandaged, yet much smaller character Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:34 am Reply with quote
Both are sacrifices too.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 09

GAAAAH everyone's all screaming and getting more emotional here and when I say "everyone", I mean the two characters who matter. xD

This one had a ton of good scenes; I went on a giffing frenzy. I love when Zack scythed that snake like a badass (well he IS a badass lol) and the stained glass church scene. Very beautiful. And Rachael's pathetic smile. Anime cry

She will probably reach her breaking point next episode. I feel very apprehensive.
futuresoon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
FWIW, the cereal isn't in blood--it's in soda. I did that once, mostly out of desperation. Don't recommend it. Weirdly heartbreaking, though, if that's all he's been eating. (insert obligatory complaint about the game giving you more time to explore his room and see it in detail here)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
futuresoon wrote:
FWIW, the cereal isn't in blood--it's in soda. I did that once, mostly out of desperation. Don't recommend it.

Somebody said the same thing on tumblr: "DON'T TRY THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!" Laughing

Noted. I'm not even tempted as I have learned that lesson with powdered doughnuts and soda. DON'T DO IT. Though that is probably even worse.

Anyway, do you guys want to have some MORE fun with this show?

Try explaining the synopsis of it to your friends and record the reactions. Laughing
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Until next week, court is adjourned.

The question now is that out of the 6 episodes remaining, only 3 of them will air on Japanese TV with the rest being internet-only.

How will they approach the story? Use all 6 to close off the show, or end the main plot in the next 3 eps and save the last 3 for backstory/prequel stuff?
Shiawase_Rina

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:

How will they approach the story? Use all 6 to close off the show, or end the main plot in the next 3 eps and save the last 3 for backstory/prequel stuff?

Knowing the game there is no way they will end the story in the next 3 episodes. The original game was released in 4 episodes, each about 2 hours long. Next week we will end episode 3 (game) with episode 11 (anime). The last episode of the game is by far the longest and it can take up to 3 hours to beat. They will absolutely need every last episode to properly adapt the finale. I guess people who only watched it on TV until now will have to watch the episodes on Amazon or elsewhere...

That said... I'm not ready for B1. I will never be ready for B1...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:27 am Reply with quote
"The real you is not a soul that should be stolen."

This is probably going to be key, but I don't know what it means. Maybe he's referring to all the hallucinogenic vapors stealing her sense of reality. Can't wait to find out. (that's not a cue for spoilers)

I need Zack back sooner than later. He's been sidelined too long. Dr. Danny is doing his best to fill the void though...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6