• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Happy Sugar Life

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
For a new studio’s first work, the staff on this project is doing a very solid job of recreating the deliberate uneasiness of some scenes from the manga and it’s having me feel again the bungle of emotions I had when I first read it. I’m glad to see that as it gives me relief for future plot events being executed in a way that brings out the most of them. I am quite engaged and things are moving at a swell enough pace as it progresses towards interesting things.
Ampharos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:03 pm Reply with quote
This most recent episode was great. A really good mix of disturbing and heartbreaking. I kinda hope the show doesn't say whether Mitsuboshi's creepiness is due to his trauma or something innate within him; an answer either way would be too convenient. This isn't an anime I'm watching for subtlety or anything, but I'm genuinely amazed at how much I care about these characters. It's like an impossibly more extreme version of an Adam Rapp novel, just a ton of profoundly broken individuals who are way too young to be going through all this stuff, and somehow it never feels purposeless.

It could all change in a few episodes but right now I'm a big fan.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:25 pm Reply with quote
So far I'm greatly enjoying the show, which is good since it was easily the thing this season I was most eager for.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
three characters so far have been revealed as comically despicable when they might be more effective if their villainy was more subtly creepy

This might be true, but those three characters also maintain a facade of normality. They are not criminals or outcasts that live on the outside of society, but evil people that hide within. What's not to say, that this depiction is reality. When they no longer have to hide, but can revel in their evil passions in front of their prey.

As to everyone being bad, you are probably right that it is for plot purposes. But beauty attracts more flies than bees. I have seen this in real life to know it is true. And evil human predators know how to pick their broken intended victims.

So far this is a good show, with interesting (twisted, yes) characters. I liked Future Diary, so this is in my ball park.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone else starting to feel like the show's being cowardly?

Like, hiding the kiss in episode 2... I didn't like it but I can kind of understand it. And the violence cutaway in episode 1 just felt artsy.

By now though it's starting to feel like the show's afraid of taking that extra step and just going for it with the violence, especially given the giant disclaimer at the start of each episode. Not that I'm demanding gallons of blood flowing everywhere, not at all, but if you're going to be sleaze be sleaze.
Sulfy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Lizuka wrote:

Not particularly - the eye gouging was done "ok" enough to insinuate what was happening without needing the visceral detail (I say "ok" because the red filter felt cheap and the screaming was a bit on the short side). However it was also the first time we saw "actual" violence (however briefly), so maybe they'll start showing more details in later episodes.

As others have stated, the "villains" of the show have been quite extreme in their depravities - however it's also interesting that none of the characters shown so far are, in any way, "good" people. Apart from the classmates or a couple of workmates, everyone that has had decent screen time so far is messed up in one way or another. The epilogue scene with the coworker smelling Satou's clothes just supports the idea that everyone in the world of Happy Sugar Life is messed up in some way, shape, or form.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:44 am Reply with quote
Lizuka wrote:

Like, hiding the kiss in episode 2... I didn't like it but I can kind of understand it. And the violence cutaway in episode 1 just felt artsy.

By now though it's starting to feel like the show's afraid of taking that extra step and just going for it with the violence, especially given the giant disclaimer at the start of each episode. Not that I'm demanding gallons of blood flowing everywhere, not at all, but if you're going to be sleaze be sleaze.

If you're talking about the scene in the park, then it actually cuts off much earlier in the manga than it does in the anime. That way we're still given room to doubt that maybe, just maybe when other characters mention the incident down the line, they're talking about an incident in some other park and not the one we witnessed.

If anything, the show is gutsier than the manga in making it clear that Satou did, in fact, go for the eyes.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
The only reason I'm still watching this show is because me and a co-worker have been having a go at how ridiculous it is. Like, someone should tell them they can't just throw another CWAZY character at the screen every week, and slap their hands and call it a day.

Also, somehow two street toughs were just completely overpowered by one 16-year old girl, and put up no resistance.

It feels like this series is comprised of one of those "everyone write one sentence" story forum threads.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:07 pm Reply with quote
^I would say they are doing more than just throwing a new character at the screen every week and stopping it there. I’ll also just say this (mostly so as to avoid accidental spoilers). I think you’re underestimating Satou a bit.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:52 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Also, somehow two street toughs were just completely overpowered by one 16-year old girl, and put up no resistance.

To be fair on that one she basically caught them offguard, got them confused, then tased them. They really didn't have a chance to offer much resistance.
Robyyyy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
"I wonder how far they will adapt this as the manga is still ongoing."
If they go on like the manga then it's going to get quite ugly and heart wrenching in the near future. I can almost see the negative response coming in.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
How to take out a Yandere?

Be an even crazier yandere back at said Yandere.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

Uh, being male and a scumbag doesn't automatically make you strong, neither does it magically make you stronger than every woman under the sun.

In case if you've already forgotten, Satou is strong enough to throw her adult teacher who is almost twice bigger than her off-balance with a single tug on his tie. On the other hand, those two dumbasses specifically preyed on situations where they could attack someone two-on-one. Add a heavy schoolbag, two tasers and a knife, and it's pretty obvious who would actually win.
Sulfy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
[Add a heavy schoolbag, two tasers and a knife, and it's pretty obvious who would actually win.

Don't forget, it was a heavy schoolbag that's heavy because it's full of tools. Textbooks would've been heavy enough, but tools? Yeesh.

I'm probably a horrible person but I "laughed" (in the 'I can't believe this is happening' sense) when Satou went on the offensive with Shio. I guess the show finally caught me off guard. I'm willing to bet that Shoko definitely has a screw or two loose, we just don't know it yet (manga readers, please don't spoil Wink) as I don't think there's anyone in the show that's allowed to be "typical."

I mean come on, Mitsuboshi's mom doesn't know her son's room is covered in MISSING posters?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:05 am Reply with quote
Sulfy wrote:
I mean come on, Mitsuboshi's mom doesn't know her son's room is covered in MISSING posters?

Whether it is true or not, it has been said that some teenagers guard their door like they were the gates of Mordor. In some cases, with even the threat of violence against their parents.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6