• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Happy Sugar Life

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching, really sad episode.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:
I wonder if we're going to see any ramifications of her disappearance, since she not only works with Satou, be we know her mom checks in on her when she doesn't come home on time.

This is a good point, and the one that could be Satou's undoing. It's not just that concealing Shoko's body will be difficult to do; concealing her absence will be nearly impossible, and since she's known to associated with Satou, police will be certain to be looking to talk to Satou about it. She might be able to get away with a properly-prepared cover story, but not for long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
TheOtakuX wrote:
I wonder if we're going to see any ramifications of her disappearance, since she not only works with Satou, be we know her mom checks in on her when she doesn't come home on time.

This is a good point, and the one that could be Satou's undoing. It's not just that concealing Shoko's body will be difficult to do; concealing her absence will be nearly impossible, and since she's known to associated with Satou, police will be certain to be looking to talk to Satou about it. She might be able to get away with a properly-prepared cover story, but not for long.

There's also the fact that she still has Shoko's phone. This means
A) Satou can now contact Asahi directly, at least until he learns of Shoko's death
B) The phone can possibly be tracked back to her.

Of course, getting rid of the phone would get rid of those problems, but if she realizes she can contact Asahi (She's sure to check the phone and see Shoko sent the photo), she probably wouldn't want to get rid of the phone.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
It does show her unable to get into the phone because she doesn't know the passcode. This show can sometimes be silly, so it's not impossible she finds a way into it, but I don't see how.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
It does show her unable to get into the phone because she doesn't know the passcode. This show can sometimes be silly, so it's not impossible she finds a way into it, but I don't see how.

Ah, right, I forgot that part. But she has plenty of time to just try to brute force her way through. And it'd still be trackable.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:10 pm Reply with quote
We still have yet to hear Shio's story before the inevitable denouncement. One wonders if her mom was selling her to men, since Shio's mom isn't sane.

This episode makes me think of the song "Heathens". Shoko entered a world outside of normal society that she wasn't ready for and did not understand the rules and ramifications of her actions.

She was sort of living on borrowed time, since she should have been murdered in Mitsuboshi's bedroom.
Blazaking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
RIP Shoko. You were too good for this world.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:05 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
We still have yet to hear Shio's story before the inevitable denouncement. One wonders if her mom was selling her to men, since Shio's mom isn't sane.

It was nothing like that. (Source material spoiler follows.) spoiler[Shios mom just up and abandoned her in an alley one day because she was tired of taking care of her on her own while she waited for Asahi. That's where Satou found her and asked if she wanted to come with her, which Shio accepted. She may even be kind of aware of what Satou has done since Shio described Satou as "having a cracked but not broken jar"]

[EDIT: Added tag clarifying what kind of spoiler it is. - Key]
Sulfy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Shoko's last scene was definitely very well done. For me, it was a case of the final scene greatly improving the episode as a whole (it wasn't a bad episode, but as Key said, it was
pretty ordinary).

Kudos for the added detail of Shoko clawing at Satou's hand with the resultant scratches. Just that much more visceral.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I knew something was gonna happen as soon as Satou and Shio went outside the apartment, so while I was prepared for *something*, my heart stopped when it was Shoko who spotted them and took the picture.

Contrary to the review, I don't really believe Satou was all that shaken up about killing Shoko. I think she was very much willing to trust her (and I believe she was probably planning on bringing her to her aunt as a sort of test, but obviously the fact that there were cops there was unplanned), and I think that in itself is indicative of the idea that she did care about her before, but the moment Shoko showed hesitation on following through on her words, any sort of faith or genuine fondness Satou had for her went out the window. I'll be surprised if she does show serious remorse or regret about this later.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:38 pm Reply with quote
So, uh, any particular reason why the new review isn't up yet compared to all the others? It's been a few days since the last episode
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:34 am Reply with quote
10 was certainly a great episode. I thought the review was spot on too. I'm certainly looking forward to the next!

I don't want to spoiler myself by reading the manga myself. Does anyone have a rough idea as to how much has been animated thus far compared to how long the manga is?
Florete

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:58 am Reply with quote
This was probably the most well-written episode to date. Satou's reaction to killing Shoko was somewhat unexpected, but it's nice to see she does, in fact, have some humanity in her.

Quote:
All of this is handled so well that it's easy to ignore the fact that Satou is in her underwear for almost the entire episode.

I don't know if this is intended as criticism or just pointing it out, but we do see her bloody clothes in the washing machine and I don't think it's much of a surprise that she didn't get dressed in anything else.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Yep, everyone in this series is crazy. But now I'm too far in. I NEED to find out how this ends.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
RealMTL wrote:
Yep, everyone in this series is crazy. But now I'm too far in. I NEED to find out how this ends.

Um, the first episode showed how it ends. The only mystery is in how it comes to that point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6