• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Grand Blue Dreaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zzshcl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I have the feeling that ANN picked the wrong guy to review the show tbh, imo the epi was decent, yeah the first part was exaggerated since they do not know any of those guys, however, the second part is quite good and we can see the true colors of some of the cast (I mean Kohei being interested in a 3D adult girl because she has some anime DVD is amusing and the fact everyone got interested in one girl because they saw her pic without makeup) and well, you wouldn't put an ikemen in the group, that wouldn't make sense, so of course they would pick some losers dudes

Well, in the end, the idea of the mixer was to help Iori and Kohei to calm down the group of jealous idiots, not to get an actual girlfriend, so Aina was really smart and nice to do that for them, they are even now lol
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I am under the impression that the reviewers get some say on what they Want to review.
However, if there is a series that The People said that they want reviewed, but there is no reviewer that Wants to do it, then the series is then randomly assigned to someone or someone reluctantly agrees to do the review for it.

Which means that there might be some reviewers watching stuff they don't want to, which is then negatively reflected in their work.
Why they choose to do it this way, I have no idea.
Maybe its lack of staff, maybe it cause no one really cares, or maybe its cause they want to troll people cause negative attention is still attention which creates ad revenue?
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:30 am Reply with quote
I didn't find episode 5 offensive, just plain boring throughout and I guess for a comedy that's even worse
Stelman257

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:43 am Reply with quote
I’ve only watched the first episode but that Stifler comparison was interesting haha

Last edited by Stelman257 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I personally found Iori's comment about Chisa's butt at the end was a nice and funny momentum killer but obviously not everyone thinks that way.
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm also not a fan of the jokes that come out of the sketches that Iori and Kohei share with their classmates. Their borderline psychopathic desperation to get laid, specifically with this one girl in their class, just doesn't play well with the college setting. Horny shenanigans like that at least make a modicum of sense for dumb high-schoolers who are still going through puberty, operate within a limited dating pool, and live with their parents, but when the same tropes are applied to a gang of grown men, the result ends up just feeling sad and creepy, no matter how much the loud sitcom tone insists otherwise.

You do know the maturity level between High-schoolers and college Freshmen is essentially None, right?
Just because one enters college it does not magically endow said person with the capabilities of an actual adult.
Even if they are legally considered to be adults, these are Not "a gang of grown men". These are essentially the same high-schoolers only without the constant parental supervision around. There is a growing curve which has a lot of fail early on, which is reflected in drop-out rates. Those that make it to the end are more mature, but even then YMMV.

The college experience differs depending on what end of the spectrum you're on.
Iori and Kohei are freshmen, they drink too much and fail at school and life in general.
Tokita and Kotobuki are older, still drink too much, but they are at least more functional. They work jobs, don't complain about school and like the tennis matches, basically get stuff done.

Now if the seniors were doing the same crap that the freshmen were doing and failing as bad, then one could see that as sad, but for Iori, Kohei and the other freshmen its just an extension of high-school, only with ashtrays and alcohol.
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The same can't be said for the way the sketch ends, with the bar owner mistaking Iori for gay and immediately assuming he's some kind of predator, just another of the dozens of crappy gay panic bits that Grand Blue Dreaming falls back on when it runs out of ideas.

I'm beginning to think that the reviewer believes that these kinds of jokes are directed at him and he takes them very personally.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The same can't be said for the way the sketch ends, with the bar owner mistaking Iori for gay and immediately assuming he's some kind of predator,

He doesn't, though. He's awkward around Iori, but the punchline happens when Iori, who he thinks is gay, basically threatens him with molesting him. It's not the bar owner who assumes that Iori is a predator because he's gay, it's Iori who presents himself as a gay predator. Crass and absolutely not PC? Sure, but regardless it was an entire setup that apparently went over the reviewer's head.

I'm starting to really not understand the reviewer (but that's not a new thing with ANN's reviews, though). Even in the previous episode he claims that college students are supposed to be more mature than high-school students, even know one only needs to step outside (or remember one's own college days) to know that this is not true whatsoever...
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:41 am Reply with quote
I just watched all what's been released of this series within the past two days and while I was unsure going in, I'm definitely enjoying it more than I'm not. The screwdriver bit had me legit rolling with laughter for a good few minutes.

SHD wrote:
Quote:
The same can't be said for the way the sketch ends, with the bar owner mistaking Iori for gay and immediately assuming he's some kind of predator,

He doesn't, though. He's awkward around Iori, but the punchline happens when Iori, who he thinks is gay, basically threatens him with molesting him. It's not the bar owner who assumes that Iori is a predator because he's gay, it's Iori who presents himself as a gay predator. Crass and absolutely not PC? Sure, but regardless it was an entire setup that apparently went over the reviewer's head.

Wait a minute. While I agree that ending to the whole scene was in poor taste, I do feel like it's being misinterpreted. I never once got the sense that Iori understood that the owner was thinking that he was gay (thanks for that Azusa), or that he thought the owner was gay in return because he was thinking about Chisa the whole time he was answering his questions. Even at then end, when they guys ask what Iori said, he told them he gave the owner the usual warning because in his mind, if you get drunk and pass out, there's no telling what the members of the diving club or his other friends might do to you.

Iori never threatened molestation or comes off as a predator to me. It's the way the show presented those few seconds, however, which are the problem. He was probably just standing there talking to the owner normally in reality, but with the dramatic close up, the show made it seem like something else entirely was happening.
joe_g7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Half-hearted and unfinished is how I would describe this entire show tbh. I honestly wish a better studio would've adapted the manga.
VentureBro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Honestly the manga is better in every way, the anime adaption really doesn't do the manga justice.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:40 am Reply with quote
Reviewer forgets that cousin relationships isn't as taboo in Japan as in the west. Though generally seen as from the mother's side, not the father's side.

I do wish they'd stop torpedoing every moment with Aina. They constantly show a chance of having a real touching moment between Iori and Aina and then it's ruined by drunken nudity. The show is trying too hard to force Iori + Chisa and it's getting a bit absurd how bad Iori gets and it keeps putting them together. It's all for comedy and yet, it's not funny anymore. It's just coming off as far too scripted and unnatural.
Cunning Linguist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:12 pm Reply with quote
gotta agree with this review, overall the show wasn't anywhere near as good or funny as Asobi Asobase was regarding seasonals
I'll give it an okayish/10
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 with Shiori when?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2