• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - J-Pop vs. America

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:01 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
while its true that there are many factors for this (not enough time in the US spotlight or the lack of knowing and speaking english whereas both ami and yumi can), i highly doubt their the primary reasons that those two got that small time of fame in the west while other well known seriyuus didn't!

Not to be rude, but I imagine the fact Puffy and The Pillows aren't popular in Japan is a big factor. The Pillows are literally just known for FLCL, which isn't that big in Japan like it is here, which is why they only played FLCL songs at the concert. Their music has never topped the Oricon charts. Puffy did back in the 90s, but by the time the Teen Titans cartoon came out, they were kind of over, and they were only a fad here because they did a theme song for a cartoon.

Also given the fact that the top sellers in Japan are generally Johnny's singers like SMAP and Arashi, and their female idol counterparts, they probably don't see the value in the American market much to bother pushing for it.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:11 am Reply with quote
Okay, for the 100th time the pillows is supposed to be lowercase! It's honestly disrespectful to keep capitalizing it when they've clearly intended their name to be lowercase. It's stylized for a reason. http://pillows.jp/s/disco/19980221/ It's literally their logo.

That aside, FLCL fans are some of the biggest posers that I've seen lately. I really hate seeing them claim to be fans of the pillows and be excited for "new music from the pillows after over a decade". the pillows have released new music almost yearly. any TRUE fan of the pillows knows this. so it's just a bunch of weeb posers.

@xchampsion there's no hyphen in X Japan.

Most Japanese artists I've discovered through the Oricon charts, tbh. At first it was through video games, then anime second. But after a few years I took my own initiative to see what was popular. From there I realized "what's popular" is pretty bland no matter what country you're in and dug deeper to discover the better J-Rock world of bands like BUMP OF CHICKEN, 9mm Parabellum Bullet (before their anime stuff), Radwimps (before their anime stuff), Tokyo Jihen, and many great others. Japan is loaded with fantastic musicians.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:19 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:

Not to be rude, but I imagine the fact Puffy and The Pillows aren't popular in Japan is a big factor. The Pillows are literally just known for FLCL, which isn't that big in Japan like it is here, which is why they only played FLCL songs at the concert. Their music has never topped the Oricon charts. Puffy did back in the 90s, but by the time the Teen Titans cartoon came out, they were kind of over, and they were only a fad here because they did a theme song for a cartoon.

Yeah. this isn't even remotely true at all. the pillows (which is supposed to be LOWERCASE), are known for their non-anime music more than they are for FLCL. They're a pretty popular band overall, almost consistently charting in the top 20 oricon on almost every release for the last 20 years. They're not the most popular group ever, but they're very popular in Japan.

Just checking Generasia and clicked a bunch of random singles and albums, and it's hard for me to find one for Puffy that went higher than 20 on the oricon chart, after the year 2000. I would even argue the pillows are more popular than PUFFY is now, based on the last few albums' sales.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:08 am Reply with quote
Funny that Mike used that particular Yoko Ishida album cover--I have one just like it! Very Happy Also, I got the chance to see her perform live at Anime Boston 2005 (where have the years gone...)

As for the rest, I've developed the (unfortunately expensive) habit of buying Japanese CD maxis of my favorite OP/ED tracks, and series soundtracks when I can. CD Japan is my friend...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Geneon were able to get the paperwork done to include Radiohead's “Paranoid Android” and Franz Ferdinand's “Do You Want To” in their North American releases of Ergo Proxy and Paradise Kiss; on the other hand, Funimation discovered that licensing Oasis's “Falling Down” to preserve it for their home video release of Eden of the East was going to be prohibitively expensive, so they pulled a fun little trick; while most episodes open with the international version of the OP, the first episode uses the Oasis tune.

It can only be assumed that the lower fees charged for a single use of a given song—a fact I presume is implicit here—allowed Anime Limited to release A Silent Voice with its original opening theme intact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Discovered Susumu Hirasawa through Berserk and his Satoshi Kon collaborations, now he's one of my favorite artists for how unique his music is.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But what this post made me think of is The Delgados, a very sophisticated Scottish indie band who were around from 1994 to 2004 but have had a pretty big impact on the scene if more through starting a label than through music. Their song "The Light Before We Land" was picked out to be the opening to Madhouse's Gunslinger Girl

Given that The Delgados also had an insert song in that series - Woke From Dreaming - was it - makes me think that someone at Madhouse was already a fan, and was, like, let's see if we can make this work!

Hey, got me to buy all of their CDs!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:09 am Reply with quote
Well, you can't talk about anime music without mentioning L'Arc~en~Ciel. They even played Madison Square Garden a few years ago, getting write-ups in Billboard, Forbes and even the Wall Street Journal of all places. I don't think they have the most anime OP/EDs, but they're certainly near the top of the list. Was it JAM Project that has the record? Seems like there was an article about the most prolific bands for anime awhile back. My google-fu is too weak to find it though.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:53 am Reply with quote
Definitely JAM Project for me. Discovered them through, of all things, the ED of Kamen no Maid Guy by Fukuyama Yoshiki. Looked around for what other stuff he'd done, saw he was in a band called JAM Project, then saw how prolific their catalog was. Been a fan ever since; just love the energy. The generous use of English didn't hurt either.

I've seen them a few times as a band or individuals at a few East coast anime events, though their appearance at the Otakon Music Festival in Baltimore definitely was my personal favorite. A small venue packed(-ish) with 20, 30, and 40 somethings screaming out the lyrics to Cha-La, GaoGaiGar and the like was an experience.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I discovered ALI PROJECT through their fantastic Noir and Shigofumi OPs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
David B. Rockin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Bands I've discovered through anime: SCANDAL,UVERworld,Unison Square Garden,Judy And Mary,SIAM SHADE,FLOW,L'Arc ~ en ~ Ciel,ViViD,SID,NIGHTMARE,abingdon boys school,JAM Project,BREAKERZ,MAKE-UP,THE YELLOW MONKEY,Lenny Code Fiction,Boa (Fact:Jasmine and Steve are related to Paul Rogers from Bad Company)

Band I discovered through teen titans: Puffy(Fact: Yumi was married to TM Revolution)

Singers I've discovered through anime: TM Revolution,Nami Tamaki,NoB, Miki Matsubara ,MIO,LiSA,Eir Aoi

Singers I've discovered by myself: ZARD,Miyuki Nakajima,Sheena Ringo,Ayumi Hamasaki,Nanase Aikawa

Bands I've discovered by myself: LUNA SEA,La'cryma Christi(very similar to classic rock bands from the 70sprog/hard rock),GLAY(Fact: Teru is married to Ami from Puffy),DEAD END,EARTHSHAKER,Plastic Tree,FEEL,PENICILLIN,WANDS,VAMPS,Kuroyume, Laputa,ROUAGE,Raphael,Janne Da Arc.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:43 pm Reply with quote
More thoughts on singers discovered through anime...Valshe and B'z, via Detective Conan; Bradio via Death Parade; Bump of Chicken via Blood Blockade Battlefront; Buck Tick via...a bunch of different vampire anime Smile; Origa via Fantastic Children.
Violynne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:14 am Reply with quote
Anime has lead me to some interesting J-Pop bands (outside of anime marketing).

A few years ago, I was watching an older series (can't remember now), and I enjoyed one of the songs in the show. I started an internet search, and found myself finding this group:
Babymetal

From this, other "pop metal" groups. I've been stuck with this genre for years, even though it's kind of dead.

Perhaps anime can help revive it.

As they say, "only in Japan".
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:30 am Reply with quote
I used to listen solely to anime OP/EDs, but now I listen to more J-rock that anisongs.

I found ONE OK ROCK by chance on iTunes, ironically. Didn't know that they sang for the Kenshin movie till much later. Been listening to the band for four years now; love'em to death.

UVERworld and nano have also been a part of my playlist for years. lenny code fiction just jumped on as well. Lots of music associated with Hiroyuki Sawano's artists (Aimer, Tielle, Gemie, etc.) Also glad to see Survive Said the Prophet finally getting their own OP with Banana Fish this season too.

Curious, has anybody listened to My First Story? They did a song for Nobunaga Concerto (how I found them), and found out the lead singer is related to the lead singer in ONE OK ROCK. I have about half of their songs on my playlist.

Two other smaller bands I follow are The Winking Owl (a good balance between slower and faster paced songs; can get a bit repetitive) and vivid undress (very catchy)
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:08 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
ONE OK ROCK (best known for providing the theme for the first Rurouni Kenshin live-action movie) is under similar circumstances right now. They're currently being backed by Fueled by Ramen and their album "Ambitions" charted on alternative and rock (as well as the Billboard 200), though none of their singles got picked up by American radio.

ONE OK ROCK did the theme song for all three RuroKen live-action movies, not just the first one. Also, their song American Girls from Ambitions (only recorded on the international ver., not on the Japanese one) is played on SiriusXM's Hits 1 station. No local radio play, unfortunately.

The thing with ONE OK ROCK is that they seem to be avoiding anime tie-ups, likely because they are targeting a mainstream audience and not anime fans. I think they want to make it in the U.S. without riding on the back of "Cool Japan." They were supposed to tour with Linkin Park in both the U.S. and Japan but unfortunately Chester passed away. Had they had the chance to tour with LP as planned, I think their situation in the U.S. would be a lot different right now.

OOR is my favorite band so I really hope to see them find success in the States like BTS has.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3