• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Revue Starlight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:38 am Reply with quote
Can there be only one if the dream is there to be two?

I initially skipped over this show because I thought it was another idol franchise offshoot but the show isn't about idols, it's about Theatrics. Ikuhara shows used theatrics but they weren't about them... theatrics were metaphors employed in place of or to augment the story. they weren't the story. The only show Ikuhara show I made it through was penguindrum as the metaphors in that show were more likely happening and far less of an interruption. Maybe.

Starlight Revue doesn't use metaphors as we see the props and sets being made as the contestants enter the playing field. They know the show and they know their marks and on their marks, get set and go... It's weird but it's happening so that's one over Ikuhara.

And I'm glad I didn't read the review first so I was completely surprised when Karen hit the elevator button down and most of the frame went down instead and that's the way it should be
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:45 am Reply with quote
I like to think of Revue Starlight as "Fame but with a big twist"

Whilst it does inherit some fanservice elements from Love Live / Idolmaster and the like there is much more heavier influences from elsewhere.
Echii

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Meh, I even enjoying Ongaku Shoujo more than this show. At least it has cuter girls

I did not find anything interesting in this show
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Echii wrote:
Meh, I even enjoying Ongaku Shoujo more than this show. At least it has cuter girls

I did not find anything interesting in this show

Ongaku Shoujo looks like another poor man's Idolmaster. I do not know how you came up with that but from the looks of things, Revue Starlight is getting more attention because it has better quality and the character design is not as overly cute as the one you are enjoying. It may be too deep for you to understand considering that this show is inspired by Ikuhara and his works.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
It may be too deep for you to understand considering that this show is inspired by Ikuhara and his works.

Yeeeeeah, let's not go there. A simple "Ikuhara's style isn't for everyone" gets the point across without the implied insult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow...the symbolism in Ep 3 is awesome...Hikari chasing Karen and then that last scene with Hikari and Karen and the reflection in the water puddle.

That is the kind of direction I ADORE!
steelmirror

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one that really wishes that the anime put a bigger emphasis on the musical aspects of the show during the big action scenes? Whenever the girls start singing, the show really starts to, um, sing to me, but I felt like Junna's narration was a bit obtrusive. It trod ground that the episode had already established, and that the song was expressing in a much cooler way. Yet it was hard to hear the awesome performance over the narration.

I mean, you guys apparently managed to find some great singers for this show (I have zero knowledge of the production or the extended franchise, but it sounds from other comments like the actresses might actually be singers?), why are you not exploiting that shamelessly for all it's worth?? I'm a shameless sucker for a great stage musical, so I am undoubtedly biased, but I'd be on board for twice the musical awesomeness per episode, and it seems like these performers might actually be able to deliver on that.

But yeah, that itpick aside, definitely my favorite so far this season (though I'm only following one other show weekly I think).
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Kevin Cirugeda reports that Kinema Citrus is on Twitter to find animators for the production of Revue Starlight, as it is airing.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Part of the problem between Hikari and Karen is Hikari herself. How can you have a talk with someone, when that person doesn't want to talk or explain anything. Hikari sees spoiler[locking Karen up] as her solution to her problem, rather than talking to Karen.

To my eyes, Karen is jumping into this "Audition" thing as a way to reach Hikari and to fulfill their childhood promise.

Karen's real problem is going to be the fallout on how she is treating Mahiru. True not much time has passed since Hikari has arrived, but the show seemingly is framing this as a future issue.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
This episode shows an interesting theme already shown in Utena: you can't change the system by blindy playing into it. Karen is trying to create a stage where everyone can be the star by participating in a competition where there can be a single winner. She will have to do a lot of reflection and actually talk to the person she shares her dream with.

Now, while I can like Karen while expecting she grows out of her bullheadness, I find Hikari really grating. She is worse than Karen in that she realizes there is a problem...and somehow misses the next logical step, that is, to talk about it. She has refused to talk to Karen even when the latter has tried to, and she chose to lock Karen in a shed over explaining herself. Heck, Karen only even entered the auditions because Hikari refused to explain why she was being such a frosty jerk to her childhood friend.

The conflicts among the other girls are intriguing. Banana seemed to be up to something when she talked to Hikari last episode but it's not clear if her sudden decision to change teams has something to do with it. Mahiru is another girl with huge communication issues, though hers are slighly more understandable. Junna investigating the Giraffe is going to be relevant later for sure. Futaba and Claudine's problems could be either their partners being jerks or their own pride, difficult to say. Kaoruko...no idea if she is projecting her issues on Mahiru, stirring the waters or if she genuinely thinks Hikari is the reason for her own problems.

By the way, the subtext regarding Hikari as a disruptive agent is weird because so far she is only messing with the Kare-Mahiru pair. Unless her being there started the auditions somehow.

Maya simultaneously proves Karen wrong and right. Karen is nowhere near Position Zero, but it's Maya's way the best one? Is being miserable and forever alone a necessary price to pay for shining in your trade?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Man, I dig this show and it's surrealness, but I sure hope the production team can keep up! Anyways, I like this show a lot, but two things are really holding it back for me; one is that the lyrics get translated a week later, which means we kind of miss a lot of intended exposition, but the second is that the translation reads a little strangely to me; it almost feels like sentences or parts of a sentence are sometimes translated too literally, which gives me a minor brain hiccup when I'm trying to suss out what the subs just said. Since this show is apparently getting a simuldub, I'm hoping that sorts out some of the weirder translation speed bumps I'm running into, but I'm concerned about the singing portions turning out to be less than stellar. ^^;
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Revue Starlight nearly flew under my radar if not for word of mouth in certain anime circles I frequent. I binged watch episodes 1-3 yesterday and am completely and totally won over by it. It's a wonderful homage to Ikuhara's work that at the same time feels like it's own thing and not a slavish imitation so far. That being said having discovered that the script writer for this series is the same one that did the horror that was Cross Ange gives me great pause and the news that the production values might be hanging by a thread is not very encouraging news either. Still I do my best to be optimistic about it.

But anyway, I loved how the focus expanded out from just Karen and her opponent, the newest episode really utilized all the girls in interesting way and wasn’t afraid to break up the usual pairs to do so, stuff like that communicates that these supporting characters aren’t just here to pair the spares and be on merchandise in shippy poses together

Claudine and Futaba’s conversation was particularly interesting to me, and while we learned this last episode it is still great to see the rest of these auditions taking place at the same time, what’s of specific note is that while Karen has already suggested “sharing the spotlight” it seems these two learned to do that better than Karen herself did this episode

The fact that Junna seems to be researching the giraffe and Banana knows this is also intriguing, Banana in general seems to know more than she lets on and I think the fact she’s choosing to step backstage could add an interesting dynamic to these auditions

I would also be interested in having what being Top Star means for each girl, obviously they enjoy theater if they go to this school, but the fact the show displays these auditions as abstract duels instead of telling the story in a grounded setting suggests some elements of its themes might also be metaphorical, there’s already predictions about the auditions being pointless and the girls will band together and won’t let the competition drive them apart, but if the resolution to the story has no larger bearings then I think the wonderful art direction and animation will have just been a waste

Last edited by Zeino on Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Florete

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:06 am Reply with quote
I appreciate these episode reviews a lot. As much as I love them, I'm pretty dense when it comes to these kinds of shows, so it's great to have weekly analyses.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:
Personally I don't think the yuri elements will be that overly emphasized.

I'd like to think of this as Japan's answer to Fame but with a major Utena twist and surreality to it.

I'm watching it for the musical theatre aspects of it and above all the songs - so far the quality of the song writing has been superb.

Seriously listen to the ED preview its awesome - they cover so many genres - from lazy latin to some songs with a Spanish twist. Yes there are some very "idol" songs but some that are very firmly rooted in musical theatre. (My comments come from listening to the the singles released so far - whether they all make it to the anime remains to be seen)

Well, it's really not an "official" yuri, but in my opinion, similar to other yuri-ish shows, this show is also quite open in division its characters into possible ships, regardless of whether or not they really want to have a real lesbian relationship at the end. To such a point that the Futaba x Kaoruko-focused arc in the manga was jokingly called "lesbian chapters" by fans. Not to mention the fact that Mahiru's crush on Karen is now a canon...

However, I agree that this is not the main or at least not the only focus of this series, so although I usually ignore surrealistic or pretentious shows, its theatrical aspects, the plot, the development of characters and the combination of music with action are so beautiful and so perfectly blended with each other that I will lie if I say that I don't enjoy it. Probably, this is the first time after IdolmAster and Band Dream, when idol-franchise causes me not contempt, but a lively interest.

Last edited by #HayamiLover on Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
I appreciate these episode reviews a lot. As much as I love them, I'm pretty dense when it comes to these kinds of shows, so it's great to have weekly analyses.

I agree. Although I was somewhat disappointed with the too yuri-orientired review on Harukana, I really enjoyed the reviews on Revue and Asobe Asobase. It seems that thanks to ANN, I'm starting to develop a love for a surreal show about girls, lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8