• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Revue Starlight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:52 am Reply with quote
Maya Tendou made one hell of a first impression in her battle again Karen just to really REALLY emphasize she's the top star; it's freakin' glorious theatrical awesomeness! I'm also glad that there's much less voice over being said during the battle and appreciating the song being sung compared to Junna's rematch.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
The chase scene was, to me, frustrating. This could have been solved two episodes ago if Hikari acted like a real person and not a plot device. She wants Karen out of the auditions but instead of sitting down and explain her reasons she does the most illogical shit just so we won't learn the especifics until it's convenient. It's lazy, especially when the other girls' approach to conflict feel like something you could imagine actual teenagers doing.

Hikari finally explains something but it's muddled by the lack of context. We don't know what they have to do to get the tiara, what counts as definitive loss, how they could end "booted". Losing duels or being the last one in rankings hasn't affected anyone so far so we don't know where they stand right now.

The side stories were far more enjoyable, especially the way they use comedy to seed future conflicts. Seriously, Mahiru is going to snap soon and Kaoroku is evil. The alibi's scene was hilarious but it's strange Kaoroku put her sabotaging ways aside to help. Next episode, punishment, I guess.
SlamMan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed by the lack of the term "Maceball" in the latest review...

I'm aware that this isn't a thoughtful response...
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Another good review, thank you! I always appreciate when the works develops LGBT characters well, rather than trying to use qeerbaiting. Now it remains to find out whether we will see Karen x Hikari as a canon, or this triangle will remain exclusively "in the life" of Mahiru.

John Hayabusa wrote:
Are you kidding? Amanchu and Hibike are nowhere near Class S or yuri for that matter, considering the former's author has no respect for yuri and put hetero romance to buzz off yuri fans, while the latter's anime studio enjoys treating them like fools as the two main girls have male love interests. Seeing them as Class S or yuri worthy is just amazingly stupid.

It's stupid to think of Class S as a synonym for yuri or full-blown lesbian relationships. Especially considering how both shows portray a platonic female friendship. But if it causes such irritation in you, then you can call it a female romantic friendship.
Sulfy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't as fond of Mahiru's jazzy number as I was the other audition songs, but dang if I didn't love the significance of the fight! The comedic timing was absolutely spot on and the episode as a whole was just...fantastic.

Interestingly, I was more piqued by the presence of the mace itself. Yes, the animation does imply like it's "it's imbued with the weight of her feelings," but it's also a blunt weapon. Do these girls choose their weapons, or are they given them? Because clearly Mahiru isn't meant to be a permanent fixture in the auditions if she wields a mace; she's not cutting anyone's pin off.
Florete

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
If the show keeps up this quality, it will likely be my choice for best of the season.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:57 am Reply with quote
Futaba and Kaoruko have the most interesting dinamics so far. Their conflict was solved way too easily, though. Kaoruko's entitlement was beyond the pale and had gone unchecked for years and her emotional blackmail towards Futaba worked twice. I can only imagine she will relapse at some point. Poor Futaba deserves better.

Banana seems to be good friends with Giraffe-kun, but I doubt she is evil. She seems to be driven by nostalgia of the previous status quo, now upset by Karen's ambition of a stage where everyone can shine and Hikari's presence. I don't think her duel will be next episode, she is final boss material and Maya and Claudine haven't got a lot of development, either with Karen or with each other.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Violet Park wrote:

Banana seems to be good friends with Giraffe-kun, but I doubt she is evil. She seems to be driven by nostalgia of the previous status quo, now upset by Karen's ambition of a stage where everyone can shine and Hikari's presence. I don't think her duel will be next episode, she is final boss material and Maya and Claudine haven't got a lot of development, either with Karen or with each other.

Nana has gotten the most consistent character development throughout the entire series even if it is less than a minute per episode. There's so just many odd things about her from her height to her hair to her sunny disposition to her hair to her seeming lack of artistic styling or talent. And her hair.

She may be Bananice but she's hiding something. If you picture the stage as a universe, I think the show is setting her up as a god, a creator or producer of some sort. She's not replacing the girls, she's replacing the giraffe.
Clover_Zero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:59 am Reply with quote
I know that when I wrote this, there's no review for episode 7 yet, but I have to say it.

"If anyone can shake up the show's formula, it's gotta be Banana."
You're right. She shook the entire show and me, and many other people that suddenly drew fanarts of her. Well, you'll see when you watch it. Not to mention the visuals are simply amazing, pretty much perfect for the episode.

I won't spoil, of course. It'd be no fun otherwise.

I'm waiting for the review. Smile
Violet Park

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
So I watched episode 7 and...

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I know.
Beaten and tired trope, but this episode was marvelous and came sooner than latter.

Loving this "thinking woman" anime.
It's dangerous close to become a new classic.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Man, episode 7.....if this isn't the turning point of series, I don't know what is! Then again, we haven't heard Hikari's side of the story and how she became a disruption point. It does make you rethink Banana's actions in the previous episodes.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:23 am Reply with quote
The thing that sprung out to me in this awesome episode is that Banana needs to understand the difference between stage and film. Stage performance is always different every time. No performance is the same. The reverse is true for film which becomes permanant on release.

Banana seems to be yearning for the permanance in film on stage. Several characters commented in this episode that stage is never the same. Her solution to this?? Bugger it lets just go into a time loop!!!!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 7 was a great episode and that's all I know for certain. I do disagree with the reviewer on the meaning of Nana's phone... she wasn't using it for nostalgia purposes but rather she was looking at everything through it, so much so it completely obscured her vision.

Covered her eyes. It blinded her.
Blinded by the light...

The team of Karen and Hikari would quite literally be "Beautiful light" but that's been in the back of my head from the start. Also "Seven is Nana" but that doesn't have any meaning... 8 contestants but now there's nine and Nana is seven so...

Wait, was Karen not in the previous iterations because Hikari wasn't there? So there was only seven in the beginning? OK, that makes sense... and it makes things a lot more complicated. Someone played a ringer... and then got played again, all in one loop.

I also feel like saying "Nana's totally bananas" but that's an English idiom, another way to say "crazy". Not that it doesn't not apply... ending on an anime "look directly into the camera" moment? Just how aware is she?

And I feel I should note the ending song and its lack of character vocals. Nana wasn't just a contestant back then, she was the audition winner but what is she now? Is she even competing? WAFO I guess.

Episode 7... and I just got that one too. Wow, that should have been obvious from the start. Nana's still my favorite character but there's no point in rooting for her to win, how ironic...
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:55 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
The thing that sprung out to me in this awesome episode is that Banana needs to understand the difference between stage and film. Stage performance is always different every time. No performance is the same. The reverse is true for film which becomes permanant on release.

Banana seems to be yearning for the permanance in film on stage. Several characters commented in this episode that stage is never the same. Her solution to this?? Bugger it lets just go into a time loop!!!!

Yeah, nice thought.
As the person about pointed she used her phone to register everything in photographs, she may fit better doing cinema or photography,
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8