• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Revue Starlight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Violet Park

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
This episode has made me curious in how things normally go for a Top Star. The situation with Banana doesn't seem to be the norm, so what would happen to someone with a more conventional stage?
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh WOW episode 8

I won't spoil it as the episode review isn't up yet but another rug pulling curve ball out of left field moment.

I totally did not see that but WOW...the direction / imagery in the back half of the episode is absolutely gorgeous.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:47 pm Reply with quote
From the fiery hands to splashing waves, Hikari's and Banana's revue was beautifully animated, and you could really feel their ideologies clashing. It's going to be interesting to see what next episode will bring since Banana hasn't had her revue song sung yet. And I bet that will be the last battle she'll have so hopefully she gets some good closure.
forexjammer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:02 am Reply with quote
So you literally lose your soul if you lose in audition.

Damn, metal.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 8.. putting infinity on its edge, I doubt that's unintentional. I disagree with the comparison of Nana's and the duo's own favorite Starlights; Nan's stage is that of a performer while Hikari and Karen's Starlight was seen from its audience so that when they get around to doing their own version, it can only get better as they learn and watch it from the inside.

And while I guess you can see Nana's loops being helpful to the girls who lose, I'd rather think of each loop being yet another dead future for all seven of the girls... six?... to be dreamless in. It's not that she's doing it on purpose but there must be some sort of consequence of her selfish desire.

But what an interesting set up; In two episodes, we establish one character who knows what it's like to win, what happens and what it means while another character knows what it's like to lose, what it means and how it feels.

I understand the giraffe understands but since he's not much of a talker, Hikari's going to have to start meddling. But that's Karen's role but how is she going to find out...
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Maaaan, that was a good episode. But it's driving me nuts trying to figure out how all this might end! Personally, I'd be okay with a Madoka-esque ending where Karen (or Hikari. Or both?) just go "Take your tragic Starlight and GTFO, we're doing this our way!" or something. Anime hyper
Yazu13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 7 and especially 8 were masterpieces. In Episode 8, almost every single scene has a metaphoric meaning, like Hikari's dagger that's connected to a chain being played as a lifeline that kept her from falling all the way down, or the giraffe skeleton's shadow filling out as Hikari found the resolve to audition again, or how Hikari literally lost her "shine" after her defeat, alluding to the very real feeling of hopelessness after losing your big shot at stardom. It's just incredible the mastery at work here, entire essays could be written off of these last two episodes. I want to gush over them, but I'm afraid I'd start writing said essay if I said any more!
Sulfy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I really like Nana's character and the lack of "pizzazz" and flourish was definitely noticeable this episode, so much so that at first, it almost felt like Nana's arc ended with a "dull" thud (in comparison).

But on reflection, it's kind of perfect? Everyone else was looking forward to the future but Nana was the only one that wanted to repeat the past, so it's appropriate that when she does get pushed into the future, there's no grandiose performance, no massive celebration of her maturing...it's just her and Juuna talking, with Nana letting her fears cry out to someone else.

As a side note, Karen's sin of arrogance is definitely on point. Nana asks her why she's in the auditions and Karen's primary response is to state, again, that she and Hikari will perform "Starlight" together? Wow.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:42 am Reply with quote
Ok, Nana told Jun she was loopy which is bit of a twist as I expected Hikari's knowledge of what happens to the losers would come out prior to the that... oh, we're going to stall, are we?

Quote:
Nana's tragic flaw is that she believes she's protecting everyone from tragedy

Seeing how she has no idea of what happens to the rest after she wins, that's some feat? Her desire is a very selfish one; It's her stage she goes back to, not theirs after all. She's not doing it for them. She only deluded herself into thinking it was for them

What I found interesting about episode 9... well, along with the ending duet formalizing yet another "pair".... was all the places I saw Hikari's hairpin stars but no matter how hard I look, I can't find Karen's crown. If they bought those hairpins as a memento of the version of Starlight they saw, where's the crown? And why is she the one wearing it? How arrogant...

Oh, it's a sin? But what if she deserves to wear the crown? Arrogance would be speaking, deciding for others when it's really for yourself. Arrogance would be being the star without being challenged for it, like you deserve it just by being you. What wouldn't be arrogant is making a declaration about yourself and seeing it through to the end. Or even if it's you saying your actions are for you and someone else. If you're true in words and in actions, that's not arrogance, it's just determination.

Karen's not two faced, she's not wishy washy, she's actually genuine in her desire for there to be, well, two stars. And we're back to the two stars... but where's the crown?

Also, we're up to 4 sets of two stars. Or at least two pairs that are set. And for a play that needs two leads, it's time to ask... why is there only room for one Stage Girl? If one drops out like how the 8th Karen always dropped out for Nana, we can have a four way tie of pairs.

Or four pairs and a crown.
Ethe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:31 am Reply with quote
Thanks for these reviews, Steve. If it weren't for them I never would've known about Revue Starlight. I just finished watching all available episodes and all I can say is that it was a ride I didn't want to get off of.

Yazu13 wrote:
It's just incredible the mastery at work here, entire essays could be written off of these last two episodes. I want to gush over them, but I'm afraid I'd start writing said essay if I said any more!

I'd read it.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Just a few episodes ago I had the impression that Nana could be the "last boss" but no, she was already defeated, the auditions end next episode, and there's still two episodes left. This story must still have a few hidden surprises...
I didn't like how Nana's story ended. At first I thought that she wouldn't even participate in the auditions this time around, having going to the other class. I was expecting to see her CHOOSE to give up instead of having to give up because someone bested her. And the detail that it was Karen annoys me a bit, their fight didn't have much weight and drama, Karen just had to beat her because she is the protagonist and DESTINY!". Méh.

Anyway, about the timeline.
Among Junna's quotes are:
"Time travels at different speeds for different people" and " The future influences the present just as much as the past".
We see now that who really interfered with the loop auditions was Karen... because the Giraffe compelled her to, because of Hikari, that only went to Japan because the Giraffe compelled her to. I was the Giraffe all along!
The Giraffe of the present invited the Hikari of the past for the Giraffe of the future force Karen back into the auditions to change the past. Bravo, Anno!
[/b]
AyaUcchi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:28 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Just a few episodes ago I had the impression that Nana could be the "last boss" but no, she was already defeated, the auditions end next episode, and there's still two episodes left. This story must still have a few hidden surprises...
I didn't like how Nana's story ended. At first I thought that she wouldn't even participate in the auditions this time around, having going to the other class. I was expecting to see her CHOOSE to give up instead of having to give up because someone bested her. And the detail that it was Karen annoys me a bit, their fight didn't have much weight and drama, Karen just had to beat her because she is the protagonist and DESTINY!". Méh.

Anyway, about the timeline.
Among Junna's quotes are:
"Time travels at different speeds for different people" and " The future influences the present just as much as the past".
We see now that who really interfered with the loop auditions was Karen... because the Giraffe compelled her to, because of Hikari, that only went to Japan because the Giraffe compelled her to. I was the Giraffe all along!
The Giraffe of the present invited the Hikari of the past for the Giraffe of the future force Karen back into the auditions to change the past. Bravo, Anno!
[/b]

Banana is still in class A, she's just helping class B.

And she didn't give up because of Karen besting her, yes it was a shock to her, but what really made her get into terms with the 100th starlight is Junna at the end of the episode, which is why you could say that the audition this episode was kind of weak unlike the rest of the episodes.

Also, in the end the reason the auditions changed this year was the giraffe sending Hikari, which caused Hikari to become the 8th rather than Karen, then Karen jumped into the auditions, it would make more sense to call Hikari the reason than Karen since she's the reason Karen jumped but oh well, even more you could also say that Banana is the reason the giraffe sent Hikari since Banana was changing the script slightly every year (as mentioned at the end of episode 9) and changing the past even slightly would alter the present/future.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Sentai is going back and adding song subtitles for the duel songs in previous episodes on HiDive. Episodes that didn't have them now have them. Seems like they are two or so episodes behind doing that. Almost makes it worth watching again or watching it delayed.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
There's another anime so purely kinographic as this one this year?

I coudn't contain my disappointment seeing the better and superior couple losing in the end just because of the obligatory "unmei".
I just accept this newest case of "power of friendship" for now because there's still two episodes and they didn't changed the established rule that dictates only one top "Pig Girl". Now I want to see Hikari choosing to put staying at the top ahead of her promise and friendship with Karen. After all, is she chooses Karen then her dreams of stage become meaningless.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
Well, how do you like Claudine and Maya in episode 10? I heard that this episode is full of melodrama and homoerotism with their participation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8