• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Detective Conan: Zero the Enforcer Film Tops Japan's Box Office for 1st Half of 2018

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Wish this series had done well enough here to keep going so we could have gotten more episodes and more of these movies. I really enjoyed the dub cast's performances in this too, made me glad to have the sets even though it got stopped abruptly due to sales.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:06 am Reply with quote
There are also the Lupin III/Conan crossover films which Discotek did license and release on DVD subtitled.

I thought at least the first one, the TV special, was decent.

I did kind of wonder why neither was released on Blu ray since they were released on Blu ray in Japan AND Italy (where Lupin III is big).

Yeah, Conan's one of those cases where big in Japan means squat in the States.
That's happened with a few other shows, too, but what a few of these have in common are interminably long runs -- we're talking well over 200 episodes so I think it's hard sometimes to decide where to start and whether's it worth the risk to license a whole series?
Apparently, Funi didn't take the risk of gulping a whole series license for Conan and Shin Chan and licensed only about 78-100 episodes in those cases. That was a smart call on their part. The audience just wasn't there for either show and they gave both a good try.

I think the situation with Lupin III is a bit easier. The show is set up to tell you EXACTLY who these guys are regardless of whether there's a lengthy origin episode or not -- and they have done several conflicting "origin stories" in BOTH the Lupin III manga and anime! <laugh>
But honestly, Lupin's set up more like Marvel Comics used to be where they told who the characters were and recapped storylines in progress at the beginning of issues. Why they abandoned that practice I don't know but that and many other circumstances have led to the diminishing of the American comic book market but I'm already getting off topic here ---!
The point is Lupin seems to be turning a corner in anime circles in the US and there is more talk about that character's series than I've seen in over 20 years of anime fandom. I talked to someone in store recently (probably at least 20 years younger than me) and she KNEW who the character was. I can honestly say that if I did that 10 years ago, I probably would have gotten a blank look and I honestly didn't start watching a lot of Lupin III myself until I saw the Geneon-dubbed episodes (very few, only 26 tops, I think) showing on Cartoon Network. They've licensed his films on and off since the early 1990s and they're just now starting to gain some traction. I think it was timing and finally having a licensor (Discotek) come on board that liked the series and is trying to keep it alive. It may still be a cult thing but more people seem to be watching the character beyond Castle of Cagliostro which I can tell you already is NOT Lupin's best film, Miyazaki or not!

Perhaps the people who like Detective Conan and Shin Chan will get lucky someday... Maybe those shows will be relicensed and just maybe they'll find a sustaining audience over here on the second or third try.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Wish this series had done well enough here to keep going so we could have gotten more episodes and more of these movies. I really enjoyed the dub cast's performances in this too, made me glad to have the sets even though it got stopped abruptly due to sales.

Same here. I did thoroughly enjoy trying to solve the mystery in each episode in the past, and still do now. While I'm still keeping up with the show via fansubs, it often makes me wonder what it would have been like if Conan actually became popular enough to keep being dubbed to this day. Way back when, I even thought of a pretty nasty reason for why Funi gave up on bringing more Conan over, but it wouldn't help to mention it now.

That being said, I wish the movies could still be dubbed. Since they're once in a while events, it seems more feasible to schedule those to have English voices, and it would be a great reason to round up the old dub crew together again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1