• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Asobi Asobase -workshop of fun-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sulfy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one that found "Loaded Questions" to be off-putting. I guess the show could've framed it as the girls being fearful of the unknown, and then have it be a "lesson" about accepting others, but nope, Kasumi starts freaking out about "cross dressing" and argh that's annoying.

Also wow, some of those dolls were quite flexible because daaaaamn.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:09 pm Reply with quote
What's so wrong about a middle schooler not being an example of matureness and political correctness? A show having characters that are flawed people doesn't automatically mean it is pushing any particular narrative. Just saying
RangerDanger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I don’t think it’s fair and consistent calling the show shaming a group when in that segment, after the girl runs away, the anime shows her boyfriend saying that he still loves her no matter what. There’s a difference between a show being unfortunate and some of the show’s middle-school characters simply not knowing certain things, especially when some of the characters also don’t have any idea on how to make babies. I thought the segment was just fine and I certainly didn’t sense any implication of malice in it.

Also, the coffee shop being burned to the ground had my sides hurting. I look forward to seeing what will be in store next week.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
Sulfy wrote:
I guess the show could've framed it as the girls being fearful of the unknown, and then have it be a "lesson" about accepting others,

Laughing Now that is funny, the idea that these characters learn a proper lesson.

The thing is that the segment started off with a guy saying that he was in love with his girlfriend regardless of her equipment. Most of the fear of a secret male came from that Kasumi has a fear of men, and it is kind of a repeated characteristic of her that when she gets worked up she gets really such, she up till recently thought men (males) shot lasers out of their crotches. The first male she came face to in the show, she wanted to stab with her umbrella. The fear was "crossdresser", not "trans" for these middle school girls that go to an all girls school.

I don't think the truth was nebulous, Aozora most certainly has male parts. Her reasoning does not explain how they were able to track down the person to her, and seemed so quick to respond. For Hanako's fear, Tsugumi was kind of way too good at lying, she showed no sign of embarrassment of being questioned, and was able to totally disarm the other two girls.
Sulfy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:33 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Laughing Now that is funny, the idea that these characters learn a proper lesson.

Well, it would be something different Wink

I don't think anyone is saying that the show's pushing any particular narrative or having malicious intent, but it just felt like swinging for the lowest hanging fruit that is also the oft-repeated humor of "fearing the other". The bloke saying that he'll still love Tsugumi after she says she has male genitalia was really surprising to me because I expected he would run away (like Tsugumi thought he would), so there's definitely points for that. The segment did have its funny moments but it just felt like it going for the easiest play when we've seen the show have better jokes (like come on, they went all out on butt lasers).

I still found the rest of the episode hilarious (I too was laughing my ass off with the cafe burning down) but that one segment just felt a bit more aggravating than funny to me.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
What's so wrong about a middle schooler not being an example of matureness and political correctness? A show having characters that are flawed people doesn't automatically mean it is pushing any particular narrative. Just saying

Because ANN has decided expand from anime/manga to advocate LGBT issues within Japanese culture now (not saying that this is bad thing), anything that stands to disparage said narrative leaves a bad taste in the mouths of the reviewers.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
MiloTheFirst wrote:

Because ANN has decided expand from anime/manga to advocate LGBT issues within Japanese culture now (not saying that this is bad thing), anything that stands to disparage said narrative leaves a bad taste in the mouths of the reviewers.

No. There is no ANN policy on what to address ethically or politically in a review. The reviewer wrote her take, and we published it, without consultation either way. (That's not to say consultation never happens, that's part of being an editor of course, but we don't ask reviewers to talk about an angle that they weren't going to originally, on very rare occasion we will ask them to excise an angle that they chose to include for either inaccuracy or lack of relevance. Obviously, that did not happen in this case.)
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
This is looking like to become the best cute girls comedy since Comic Girls! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
S0crates

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I just loved the scene about the butler shooting a laser beam out of his butt and for the owner to go "FFS!". I hope they keep up this South-Park level of weirdness, as it really crash with the art, making it even more hilarious.

Also, who on earth get surgery over hemorrhoids? Shocked
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:18 am Reply with quote
S0crates wrote:
I just loved the scene about the butler shooting a laser beam out of his butt and for the owner to go "FFS!". I hope they keep up this South-Park level of weirdness, as it really crash with the art, making it even more hilarious.

Also, who on earth get surgery over hemorrhoids? Shocked

They can actually be a serious medical condition, not just uncomfortable.
Closet_Weeb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Hoo boy, I'm dying to see how the ANN staff will react to a certain revelation on the 7th episode.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The main example this time is the case of the "Banana Papers," which sounds like this show's version of the Burn Book.
On the other hand, the name itself sounds like a combination of references to the Panama Papers and to Aozora's you-know-what. Speaking of which, as hilarious as the segment was it still left a bit of a bad taste by going even further to confirm Aozora as belonging to the "villainous cross-dresser" archetype, through both the decision to keep the Papers for future blackmail and the line suggesting that they don't really identify as a girl.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I love that Fantoma was literally more useful than the three girl together, hopefully we see more of it.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
“So is it God’s wish that I kill all virgins 97 or older?”

Man, what the heck am I even watching now? Laughing After Hinamatsuri, I never expected another show in the same year to so quickly make me laugh as much as that one did, but this series has been something, dude. I’m loving it. Smile
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Other than his weirdly formal way of talking, making Olivia's brother a generic creepy otaku stereotype felt like the show dragging its feet.
A nitpick, but the formal way of talking is also part of the old school otaku stereotype: after all, that's where the word "otaku" itself comes from.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3