• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Asobi Asobase -workshop of fun-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
This anime also hit close to home for me for similar reason than the reviewer's and not only but i'm not siding with the reviewer's thought about Aozora, you are really overreacting. Ultimately it's simply a fictional humorous work, sometimes even black humor which the serie isn't even trying to hide, that turn everything into a comical scene, even a stupid armpit scent. This work is by no means trying to promote any hate or whatever about certain persons so there are no reasons to think that way, on the contrary, there are no better way to end up hating a comical anime ( or even the animation in the whole ) than taking it way too seriously and comparing it to real problems.
It's simply my thought but reviewers should show more impartiality, there are naive peoples that might unfairly blacklist a serie just because they read a negative thing that have nothing to do with the serie itself.
casenumber00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I also think the author is making a bigger deal out of episode 10. Of course some of things mentioned are a real problem out in the real world but, that is there, these actions are happening in an animated series. For better or for worse, not everything that happens in fiction will not have a consequence in real life so try not to let it get to you. The problem, and where vigilance should come in, is when people use that fiction as an example to do unjust or harm others. That is highly unlikely to happen at this point in the show since it doesnt try to instigate any of that and even, in subtle ways, tell viewers that its a stupid thing to do. I know it may be uncomfortable to watch, I do have similar feelings about the ease and lack of emotion murder and death in media, due to personal reasons, and it sometimes plagues me but I have remind myself that the vast vast majority all of it does not lead to causation to actual event.

Also, middle schools girls from public schools are somewhat similar to these girls. I am not talking about the gender identities or what not, but being mean, gross, cunning, manipulative, monsters with each other but in some charming way as oppose to high school girls. I thought the show did a kinda good job portraying middle school girls like that but, of course, a lot of it is exaggerated for comedy.

Last edited by casenumber00 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:50 am Reply with quote
Pro-tip to any people reading the reviews: I would suggest ignoring the ratings and focus instead on the meat of the articles themselves. The reviewer herself (I assume her because she mentioned she's a lesbian herself) already mentioned that humor can be "super subjective" and some people may find the contents of the episode extremely offensive, while others may find it to be the pinnacle of comedy. While I find it to be the latter, mostly because I do not belong to the LGBT community, nor find it necessary to carry my personal bias into everything I see, I respect the reviewer for feeling uncomfortable and applaud for acknowledging the differences in the ways people would see this episode.

The ratings themselves, being "ratings", carry the implication of some kind of personal bias from the reviewer. It's rather annoying to see some people just clicking into the article for an episode they like, see a negative rating, then go on a rant about how the reviewer is biased.

Ratings are not everything. Read the articles themselves.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:00 am Reply with quote
Whether that makes it more problematic or not, one curious thing about Aozora is that she's a parody of Hibari Aozora from Stop! Hibari-kun.
reaslin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:59 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Whether that makes it more problematic or not, one curious thing about Aozora is that she's a parody of Hibari Aozora from Stop! Hibari-kun.

Not only that. A lot of the fun of this show comes from taking existing tropes and running with them in an unexpected direction. Making fun of existing stereotypes may not be the same thing as subverting them, but it makes it difficult to say that the creators of Asobi Asobase "stand" anywhere in particular when it comes to, for example, trans issues. Obviously, something can be problematic quite regardless of the intentions of the creators.

As a side note I felt that Aozora came across as a slightly nicer person this time. Doesn't their crush on Kasumi seem to be kind of genuine?
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
The weird costumes in the interrogation scene are a reference to Monty Python's "Spanish Inquisition" sketch - for a Japanese show, that's really obscure!
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
purplepolecat wrote:
The weird costumes in the interrogation scene are a reference to Monty Python's "Spanish Inquisition" sketch - for a Japanese show, that's really obscure!

I thought it was more Witchfinder General:

purplepolecat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Olivia is wearing the antique pilot hat and goggles, like Cardinal Biggles on the left:

Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote
purplepolecat wrote:

The Girls und Panzer OAV series references the Spam skit in the... fourth episode, I think?

Have a look-see. (Also, why is the Japanese version censoring the word "spam"? Well... the letter 'S' in the word Spam, that is.)
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:28 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Also, why is the Japanese version censoring the word "spam"?
Probably because “Spam” (or “SPAM”) is a brand name, even if it has been genericized in many parts of the world.
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
The Girls und Panzer OAV series references the Spam skit in the... fourth episode, I think?

Wow, complete with Vikings! Amazing.
consignia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
purplepolecat wrote:
Olivia is wearing the antique pilot hat and goggles, like Cardinal Biggles on the left:]

Fair enough, my memory clearly was banking too much the colours used.
reaslin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:55 am Reply with quote
How do I cover up this murder that my vice president has committed in my absence? "Is there a lake nearby?" I know the basic joke (inappropriate pragmatism) is old as dust, but it still makes me laugh when done right. Then, we are talking about a person who keeps a ski mask with her in case her duties as student council president require it.

And of course the Pastimers are happy to forget all about the (supposedly) dead body as long as they get to show their movie.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
realem wrote:
Not only that. A lot of the fun of this show comes from taking existing tropes and running with them in an unexpected direction. Making fun of existing stereotypes may not be the same thing as subverting them, but it makes it difficult to say that the creators of Asobi Asobase "stand" anywhere in particular when it comes to, for example, trans issues. Obviously, something can be problematic quite regardless of the intentions of the creators.

As a side note I felt that Aozora came across as a slightly nicer person this time. Doesn't their crush on Kasumi seem to be kind of genuine?

If Aozora is really a boy, then this is not unusual, since the motif "I'm afraid of men, so I fell in love with a feminine guy" is quite common in anime and manga, for example in "Bokura no Hentai", where this theme was one of the plotlines.

If "she" really is a very thin girl-troll, then this is also normal. It may just be gay-joke's segment or the beginning of their mutual love, I don't know, but I think that one scene is too small to call it offensive and ambiguous.

@casenumber00 I also do not belong to the LGBT community (at least, I think so), but in my opinion, it is strange to blame intentionally "scandalous" show that it is trying to be scandalous. Not to mention the fact that the situation itself is unrealistic enough to not associate it with some consequences in real life.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:18 am Reply with quote
Besides what the reviewer thought about episode 10 I think the show as a whole was pretty funny. I would never expect a show like this to be a leading example of political correctness so for me it's best just to take the comedy for what it is... a joke.

Though some of those skits did get pretty raunchy and it definitely offended at least one person. 7/10 for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3