• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Planet With

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Excuse me ANN I'm trying to rate this show more than 5 but apparently I can't. Kindly fix your widget. Thank you very much.

But yeah, best episode of the year, really glad Mizukami got an anime. I liked this episode so much I re-read the first volume of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. Would've re-read the entire thing (hell, maybe all of his works) if I had more time.
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Considering Mizukami's written quite a lot of manga titles over his career, I'm surprised he's never gotten an anime adaptation so far (especially if everyone says his writing style's so good).

I recall an anime reviewer and (avowed Mizukami fan) claiming the reason Mizukami could never get an anime of his works was due to him being "... way too shameless... in his writing style and character design (physical and literary). And of equal importance, he demands way too much of the audience to succeed in modern anime."

Could that be one valid reason - that his style of requiring one's emotional and intelligence switches to be turned on to appreciate his work is a failure in an industry that thrives on popcorn anime?
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how I haven't left a comment here yet, because yeah, this show is legit.

Sensei is gonna be awesome in Super Robot Wars.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:09 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Could that be one valid reason - that his style of requiring one's emotional and intelligence switches to be turned on to appreciate his work is a failure in an industry that thrives on popcorn anime?

Maybe, but it also seems as though you really need a sizable number of either Hideaki Anno-style or Kunihiko Ikuhara-style anime fans to get on board if you want your thematically-laden anime show to be anything more than a "cult hit" these days. Unfortunately, those fanbases contain a significant amount of old-guard fans, whose first impressions of the way Planet With looks are going to strongly remind them of goofy turn-of-the-century action comedies like Ninja Nonsense or Steel Angel Kurumi, and unfortunately word of mouth hasn't been able to overcome their resulting preconceptions about the show's tone.

Obviously, the show is having some impact, though, because good luck finding a non-used copy of the first English-language Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer omnibus online for under 100 bucks right now. Laughing
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:05 am Reply with quote
I LoL'd at "What the hell do you mean, Nyah?!?"- they broke Yosuke...
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:40 am Reply with quote
The irony that that line is coming from the dude who understood all the "wan"'s made it even better.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:24 am Reply with quote
Only just learned of this show from seeing the blurb about the new review and I have to admit, while that does make me want to check out the show actually looking at the synopsis it just sounds like a confusing pileup of things I don't care about.

Still, I'll probably give it a look.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I loved Lucifer & the Biscuit Hammer, but I'm not finding this show nearly as emotionally resonant. I think Lucifer had the luxury of taking its time and really spending time with its entire cast of characters. Planet With feels a bit rushed by comparison. The big character backstory revelations and pivotal choice moments are happening in the same or subsequent episodes. Too many characters, too little time for each one to make a big impact.
That said, maybe I'll feel differently by the final episode--I'm in this 'till the end, & I hope it does well because I hope it'll give Lucifer a chance at an adaptation!
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Excuse me James how can you not mention the triumphant return of the people's hero: Nezuya.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
"Karellen and Rashaverak" maybe the Kitty and Pooch's real names, but more importantly it's a reference to Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. In the novel Karellen and Rashaverak are two of the Overlords, aliens who come to Earth to shepherd humanity to the next stage of our evolution. spoiler[This ultimately ends with the destruction of the Earth as the final generation basically turns into Akira.] So good times incoming.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:23 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
"Karellen and Rashaverak" maybe the Kitty and Pooch's real names, but more importantly it's a reference to Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. In the novel Karellen and Rashaverak are two of the Overlords, aliens who come to Earth to shepherd humanity to the next stage of our evolution. spoiler[This ultimately ends with the destruction of the Earth as the final generation basically turns into Akira.] So good times incoming.

This is good to know; thanks for sharing!
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:30 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Excuse me James how can you not mention the triumphant return of the people's hero: Nezuya.

Seconded! This episode was full of highs, but seeing senpai being back in all his flamboyant glory was definitely my favorite. Plus Kuroi's reaction to it was very cute. Very Happy
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote
hooliganj wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
No. I guess I jumped the gun because of an image where the robot has a facial design like something similar to Darling in the Franxx. And I'm looking the maids. Okay, I looked at the trailer. Wow! This is borrowing some OS tunes. I may have to check this out. Sorry I jumped the gun. Just keep the robot faces.

Japan has a long history of Super Robot shows going all the way back to Gigantor/Tetsujin 28, Giant Robo, and the like. The robots in those stories often have similar mecha/cartoony faces.

Both FranXX and Planet With are clearly taking inspiration from those older, more traditional cartoons in the form of design and spectacle, while mixing in modern sensibilities. FranXX lifted the psycho-sexual themes (and more than a few plot points) from Evangelion, while Planet With goes for the morally gray philosophical conflicts.

Sorry getting back to this late as I was on a looong vacation. But now I see what you're talking about. I never thought about that "aesthetic". Something to think about now when I go back and watch some of these shows. Thanks for that little tidbit. Very Happy
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I try to avoid saying it (because it's not a healthy viewpoint to get too invested in) but season after season it always seems like the less popular anime are the best ones on all fronts.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It seems Takezo died choking on a mocha

He choked on mochi, not chocolate latte. Smile Note the comment that it wasn't even New Year's, which is apparently a lethal time for those seniors who can't easily chew the sticky mochi and too often choke on them, despite annual warnings about the hazard, and efforts to make mochi that's less dangerous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4