• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Planet With

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
So how long is that dragon really now? Laughing

I loved this episode. While it would have been great to see more of what happened in these past five years (especially how Nezuya-senpai met his intergalactic girlfriend!) , the show makes the most of what limited time it has. Can't wait for the final episode.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Solid last episode. Legitimately shocked at how moving and effective it managed to be despite limited series length and beyond bizarre world-building.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote
That was a wonderful series, it had no fat, all lean, but despite fitting more story into 12 episodes than some shows manage in 24 never gave the impression of being rushed.

The whole forgiveness and rebirth side of the last episode where Soya refused to give in to the dragon's demands for revenge, and the flower on the seemingly dead planet were both quite moving.

Generalissimo's tail wagging fit to bust when they found Sensei, Soya and Ginko was a nice touch too.

One of my favourite shows this season, and hope for more Mizukami adaptations to come (*cough* Spirit Hammer *cough*) in the future.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
What a great show! This is my top contender for AOTY.

Quote:
In a desperate gambit, the dragon sends Soya's mind hurtling back to the day of Sirius' destruction, and the following scene is one of the series' most quietly heartbreaking. Soya gets his real brother back, and then he's forced to relive the loss of the family, friends, and countless other lives that were snuffed out in a single instance of unfathomable destruction. Azrabarakura wants this pain to consume Soya and instill him with the same need for violent, vengeful justice that has driven him to remain in his dead husk of a body for untold eons.

I liked how this scene was an inversion of what Nebula was trying to do with Earth. But the thing that stood out for me about the scene was that it really drove home just how vast and terrifying the Dragon's power is. He can engage in psychological warfare just by looking at someone. This bid to pass on his mantle is why I believe that he sent a human form to Earth. His version of Justice has to get carried out somehow. That, and it seemed like he saw Souya as a kindred spirit of sorts what with the "lonely creature that hates injustice" line.

The talk with Azrabarakura has some nice touches that I didn't notice until later. He obviously doesn't have a face, but the one eye we see changes at certain points. He looks shocked after Souya says "Thank you for saving my sister." Family is an important theme throughout the series and the little bit with Takezo captures what I think is the essence of Azrabarakura. He wants to be loved and appreciated while having a sense of belonging. I feel like his problem with Nebula (his family of sorts) was that they rejected him.

I'm just going to end there cause I feel like I could write a full on essay about this show.
Bexarath

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:25 am Reply with quote
This was my favorite series of the season, and I enjoyed every minute of it. So glad they managed to pull off the tight fast-paced storytelling to the very end.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
“Change your perspective with love, and behold, the universe is filled with blessings.”

That really is a lovely thought, isn't it?

Especially these days, whether you look at what happens in the real world or at all those other shows that try to outdo each other at being 'edgy', this was such a refreshing and unique little show.

I teared up several times as well and cheered at the heartwarming ending. Definitely one of the (if not the) anime of the season for me.
Explodinggrandma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
Row Row Fight the Powa!
gaptoothsailor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Far and away my favorite show of the season. Personally, this is an immediate top 3 or even 2 of AOTY for me. I want to sit on it and let it simmer because I know I will love it even more once some time has passed, like with Devilman Crybaby.
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of both Overlord and Steins;Gate I'm amazed how this show completely blew them out of the water for me this season.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:33 am Reply with quote
I don't know what to make of this show. I can't find a single thing it did wrong (gave the finale a 5), and can see a dozen things it did so very right. It never once stumbled at any chance it had to fail. But. Somehow I never managed to click with it emotionally the way my objective view of it told me I should.

It's interesting though, that as much as everyone has raved over it, not one person has (as I write this) rated it a masterpiece. I would've been that person if it had grabbed me the way everyone says it did them (I gave it an excellent), so I wonder what's lacking for even its biggest fans.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
^I'm not quite sure what you mean. That nobody explicitly called it a masterpiece? Or are you refering to the My Anime list here? I'm pretty sure a lot of people (myself included) aren't even using that.

Well, i can only speak for myself, but i 'rate' anime by how much i enjoyed them (broadly speaking) and Planet With didn't lack anything in that respect.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:08 am Reply with quote
The list here. I know most people use MAL if they bother, but I just found it odd that of the 45 or so ratings it did get, and as unusually top-heavy as they were, there were none that gave it the highest mark. Usually every series has one or two people rating it a masterpiece, even when the average is merely good. It suggested to me that I wasn't the only one to think it was great but still had reservations.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't really post ratings on ANN, but I don't think I'd give this a perfect score either. The writing, both in terms of emotional beats and the dazzling efficiency of fitting this whole, complete story in 12 episodes is top notch, and the characters and central theme were all strong and well developed as well.

That being said, I never got used to the CG models for the mecha and the dragon. They always came across as cheap and out of place, and dragged down nearly every action piece in the series (and given that there were a lot of them, that's a big minus overall). The music direction was a bit soft at times as well, especially any time the 'heroic action' theme started up.

However, my complaints are all purely cosmetic, the heart and core of the series itself is terrific, and really does stand out. In both its plot and theme development, it really makes the most of the 12 episodes it was allotted.

(I'm honestly pretty happy with Spirit Circle remaining manga only, as I don't think it would be possible to present it any better than its native medium, but I do hope Mizukami tries another anime series in the future. He's a terrific storyteller in any medium.)
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Beyond anything else, this show's aesthetic is basically everything I want out of mecha anime, from its soundtrack to its mecha designs. Speaking of the mecha designs, I'd suggest that anyone who might be interested in collecting stuff that looks like the designs from this show check out Bandai's Sangokuden range of model kits, specifically the animal-armored stuff such as:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10100182

and

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10102512

Anyway, very pleased with how this turned out, and I'm certainly going to end up buying it on Bluray.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4