• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Haruka Nogizaka's Secret (+ Purezza) Blu-ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:36 am Reply with quote
The biggest problem is the absence of the Finale OVA. I wouldn't say it's completely pointless to watch these without them, but it's extremely unfulfilling. Even more so than other "unfinished" wish fulfillment male fantasies. AS I remember it, Purezza ends in such a way that leaves you not so much "wanting more" so much as it leaves you thinking "this really needs resolution."

Kind of like ReLIfe- sure, you could buy the currently available collection (and it's not a complete waste to only watch it), but it reeeeeally needs the recent finale episodes to feel complete.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:39 am Reply with quote
The openings are both pretty cool, particularly the 2nd one, in my opinion. They are built to like resemble a gossip magazine or something. Looks cool, I think.

Anyway, I mostly agree with the review. Unless you're a fan of harem anime then there isn't much to see here.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I seen the first season to this years ago. I wouldn't necessarily call it too memorable considering otaku-focused shows are nothing new in the world of anime, as I would still hold Genshiken in high regard for believably exploring life as an otaku compared to Haruka Nogizaka's more idealistic and generic spin on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:06 pm Reply with quote
This isn't an anime that ever interested me, but it does make me dream a little of some other forgotten shows from around this time period being licensed.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I remember this being too saccharine for my tastes, yet I remain intrigued because a friend highly praised the second season for reasons I can't understand.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:17 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
The biggest problem is the absence of the Finale OVA. I wouldn't say it's completely pointless to watch these without them, but it's extremely unfulfilling. Even more so than other "unfinished" wish fulfillment male fantasies. AS I remember it, Purezza ends in such a way that leaves you not so much "wanting more" so much as it leaves you thinking "this really needs resolution."

Kind of like ReLIfe- sure, you could buy the currently available collection (and it's not a complete waste to only watch it), but it reeeeeally needs the recent finale episodes to feel complete.

This is the boat I find myself in, for both these series.

They need the OVAs on disc before I'd buy what is out now.

Guess that for ReLife, at least Crunchy has the OVAs. Sadly not the case for Haruka.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:09 am Reply with quote
As long as they can get the 4-epi. OVA finale, that's important. I have already seen all 3 series via streaming, but my prev. statement helps those that are planning on buying the series.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
this is still a blatant male wish fulfillment story even down to Haruka being an otaku; she is more accessible to male otaku this way, and Haruka herself couldn't possibly be more appealing as the ultimate waifu.
In some ways, I felt that the wish fulfillment self-insert character was actually not Yuuto, but Haruka; it's still ultimately wish fulfillment targeting male viewers, just gender-flipped. "This character is incredibly talented and overpowered, yet lives in fear of being shunned and looked down upon because of their shameful nerdy interests. Despite that, they're loved and accepted by a romantic partner who not only accepts their hobbies, but takes an interest in said hobbies themselves."

Regarding this release, did Discotek do anything with the subtitles, or are they just a copy+paste job of CR's subs? Because CR's subs, at least for Purezza, were flat out bad on several levels. Like in Purezza ep 09, at 3:30, when Y&H meet up for a date at an amusement park:

Quote:
Yuuto: Haruka?
Haruka: Yuuto-san!
Yuuto: Huh? Why is Haruka here already? Did I get the time wrong?
Haruka: Uh, no. I just kind of woke up early this morning. I'm not sure why, but I've been nervous since yesterday, and was uneasy in bed too... But why is Yuuto-san so early?
Yuuto: Uh, yeah... something similar for me too...

The underlined "name instead of 'you' in direct address" instances are endemic through the whole series, making it feel like characters are talking at each other instead of with each other. At least for Purezza -- I only ever saw the first season fansubbed, as it aired before CR went legal, while Purezza's "fansubs" were based on CR's scripts. spoiler[Sad thing is, one "literalist" group actually improved the second underlined phrase from what CR had.]

Ali07 wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

This is the boat I find myself in, for both these series.

They need the OVAs on disc before I'd buy what is out now.

Guess that for ReLife, at least Crunchy has the OVAs. Sadly not the case for Haruka.
Discotek's not going to be encouraged to license the Finale OVAs if the first two seasons sell poorly, though. Our best chance of getting them over here is to make sure that the first season and the slightly lackluster Purezza have healthy sales numbers.

And besides, it's not like we don't know of other means to see those OVAs, anyway. Even if we don't get Finale over here, at least it's an animated conclusion that exists, which is more than can be said for a lot of similar manga/LN-based series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1