• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Polygon Pictures Animates Star Wars: Resistance Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Do people have to really use "Anime" as an excuse to predict something will be bad? You gotta need better education then.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Do people have to really use "Anime" as an excuse to predict something will be bad? You gotta need better education then.

There's nothing wrong with something being anime-inspired, but you can't apply it to everything and expect it to work. I think people just don't have high expectations here.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Yeah, it's stupid. Plus this is hardly their first production for a western company.

Blankslate wrote:
Hopefully this looks as good as their work on Tron Uprising.

Beatdigga wrote:
Say what you will about the stylization in Clone Wars, but the actual fluidity and the choreography was really good. Couple that with surprisingly mature writing and you had a show for all ages. Rebels got away from that but still had some really well done moments (Obi Wan and Darth Maul after the former went into exile, Ashoka confronting Darth Vader).

Resistance? Probably not.

Polygon Pictures also worked on Star Wars The Clone Wars: http://www.ppi.co.jp/works/star-wars-the-clone-wars/

Yeah, they've already had some really good western productions to go with their Japanese anime productions.

Agreed, Tron Uprising was really nicely done.
Transformers Prime looked great too.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do for this.
It's hard to tell from just one image but I don't know if they really look that much younger. But we'll see when we get better and full shots of them.

The character designs/coloring in that one image kind of remind me of the art style of the old show Skyland, something I wish had lasted longer back then on Nicktoons, or had a tighter run, since I quite liked it but it had a lot of filler and more potential than it got to deliver (great lore and setup, weak-ish in-ep writing) and I still miss it, so that's potentially kind of cool. It's kind of a neat coincidence since that show clearly had some Star Wars inspiration and their own resistance the main characters joined there. Though one of that show's flaws might align with the potential worry that this could end up targeting a younger audience than it should be, since that was one of the things that weakened Skyland from its potential, as it too had the material to be a bit more mature to better hit more of an all-ages audience.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Say what you will about the stylization in Clone Wars, but the actual fluidity and the choreography was really good. Couple that with surprisingly mature writing and you had a show for all ages. Rebels got away from that but still had some really well done moments (Obi Wan and Darth Maul after the former went into exile, Ashoka confronting Darth Vader).

Maybe it was, I just couldn't get past the Samurai Jack designs, and I find the Clone Wars to be one of the most boring eras to make so many shows about.

Ryuji-Dono wrote:

It's not even anime, it's just being animated by a Japanese studio. It's just "anime influenced" like everything else these days. All the producers, writers, and directors are American. It going to be a Disney XD cartoon series is a more telling sign it'll be bad. People need to accept Star Wars is for kids only these days.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Though one of that show's flaws might align with the potential worry that this could end up targeting a younger audience than it should be, since that was one of the things that weakened Skyland from its potential, as it too had the material to be a bit more mature to better hit more of an all-ages audience.

Well, it all depends on how the "younger audience" approach is done. I mean, shows like Yo Gabba Gabba!, Wow Wow Wubbsy, and, of course, Sesame Street have had sizable numbers of adult viewers because they are written in a way that would also remain interesting to adults. But I guess that would be what you would call "all ages."

amitabh wrote:
Yea. But this Star Wars ain't an Anime. Its a cartoon. Disney is figuring out how to milk the Star Wars franchise, but its largely unsuccessful.

The movies have all turned a profit (including Solo), and the TV shows have pretty high viewership for where they're placed in the channels' timeslots. That seems like a success to me. Definitely, it's a bigger success than the prequel trilogy was, and there are a lot more people liking the sequel trilogy movies than the prequel ones.
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess Lucasfilm animation studios are busy with the last season of Clone Wars that was announced recently, so no surprise another studio is doing this.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:17 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Well I guess Lucasfilm animation studios are busy with the last season of Clone Wars that was announced recently, so no surprise another studio is doing this.

Almost all of the Animation was completed years ago, that's why they got out the trailers so quickly after Rebels ended. They likely hired this Japanese studio because it has a different view on 3D animation.

But I'm not going to judge the series just from the announcement, so far Star Wars animation has not disppointed me. Now the movies, that's a whole different ball of wax. Razz
Xe4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Granted, Polygon is only producing this, but considering the best work they ever did was with Disney on Tron: Uprising, I can't help but see this as a a good thing. Hoping the best for the show, though I've never been to into CG Star Wars.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:41 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

The movies have all turned a profit (including Solo), and the TV shows have pretty high viewership for where they're placed in the channels' timeslots. That seems like a success to me. Definitely, it's a bigger success than the prequel trilogy was, and there are a lot more people liking the sequel trilogy movies than the prequel ones.

Ah, NO.

Let me stop you right there...

The Disney Star Wars films have NOT been that successful.
Adjusted for inflation, they've made LESS money than either the Prequel Trilogy OR the original Star Wars Trilogy.
That is especially true when you consider ALL the merchandise that was on store shelves that didn't sell and had to be massively slashed (75-80% in a few cases; average at least 35-45% off!) in price to clear the shelves -- if it wasn't tossed into the dumpster! There were many things they STILL couldn't get rid of in the toy aisles even with the high clearance rate!
The question what should be asked, why WOULD people want to buy reminders of films they DIDN'T like that much?!?

The toys for the Disney films SINCE The Force Awakens have been sitting on store shelves gathering dust.
One major retailer, Toys 'R Us, went out of business this year and they had thousands of examples of unsold Star Wars merchandise NO ONE was buying as those stories liquidated their inventory! Those toys will go into a landfill right next to all the Atari 2600 ET cartridges that DIDN'T sell, either.
Furthermore, Solo did NOT make money unless you're a die-hard Star Wars fan unwilling to accept reality. IT BOMBED... It lost to the tune of AT LEAST $80million if not closer to $200 million when marketing and reshoots are considered. It's in the red, it did not make a profit, PERIOD... This is not even counting the fact they didn't aggressively market that film so much because they KNEW they were in trouble after the that film's original directors were fired and replaced by Ron Howard when the film was 85% shot. Howard went ahead and DOUBLED the production budget of that film by virtually reshooting most of what had already been filmed!
Solo was in trouble from the start because A) nobody asked for an origin film about Han Solo; and B) the bad stink of The Last Jedi was left on people's mouths and they didn't want to go see another Star Wars film 5 months later with the bad memory of that film fresh on their minds! The director of TLJ and various LucasFilm reps took to social media and said some very inflammatory things that cheesed off a lot of Star Wars fans who do keep track of social media.
The fans were worn out by mediocre films that were released too close together AND an antagonistic LucasFilm which for some odd reason started biting the hands of the people who've bought their merchandise for decades... Well, not so much in the last 3-4 years since the DisneyWars film, the last few videogames, and TV projects have not excited people that much. The last Star Wars project that DIDN'T divide fans or keep people from buying the tie-in's was The Clone Wars CG series.

The end result was inevitable. Solo bombed, period.

Toys 'R Us WOULD have gone out of business sooner or later without better management BUT the failure of the last few waves of Star Wars toys was a big contributor to pushing that retailer out of business.
The company that also has the license to produce Star Wars action figures, Hasbro, is ALSO in trouble and I would strongly suspect Disney/LucasFilm are going to have a hard time selling the Star Wars IP for the license fees they USED to be able to get for the brand. It's a lame IP unless the next two Star Wars projects are huge hits. Nobody's going to want to pay big cash for that license if they paid attention to what happened with Toys 'R Us and the fan reaction online.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I always wanted to see a Polygon show that first of all has a good script (they sadly butchered Blame) and enough money to afford a stead frame-rate. This is finally that series, I hope. Clone Wars and Rebels were good after all and Dave Filoni is part of the crew. Clone Wars S07 will still be the real deal.

Regarding the bizarro Solo discussion. The new new canon is obviously a sales smash all around and featured the biggest films of the year for 3 years in a row but Solo did put a break on that by loosing about 100 mil. I just can´t see toy sales and so on redeeming that historic bomb. A shame, it´s one of the best film of the year and the best new SW film after VII.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:17 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Speaking of which, I really do hope foreign governments tell Disney know on buying out out most of the Fox Empire.

Fox and Disney are American based enterprises so what clout would foreign countries be able to flaunt in order to stop this from happening?

Kadmos1 wrote:

Disney has too much control. As such, I do hope this upcoming series flops.

I don't see what would be the positives in it flopping.

I read on magazines like Variety or Deadline that various foreign governments would have to approve/disapprove the buyout.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:24 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
and enough money to afford a stead frame-rate.

This is a really irritating misconception people have. Frame rate has nothing to do with the budget. Any animation can run at any frame rate and it takes less than a minute to configure this. They cut frames because 2D animation is not at Max frame rate most of the time so they are trying to do the same with the 3D (as most of the time, 3D is used as a cost cutting and time saving measure so they want to either "hide" it or make it look like "2D").... but unfortunately, though not always, this generally makes it looks worse and when it comes to "Polygon Pictures" no other studio looks worse when cutting frames imo.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:14 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
The Disney Star Wars films have NOT been that successful.
Adjusted for inflation, they've made LESS money than either the Prequel Trilogy OR the original Star Wars Trilogy.
That is especially true when you consider ALL the merchandise that was on store shelves that didn't sell and had to be massively slashed (75-80% in a few cases; average at least 35-45% off!) in price to clear the shelves -- if it wasn't tossed into the dumpster! There were many things they STILL couldn't get rid of in the toy aisles even with the high clearance rate!
The question what should be asked, why WOULD people want to buy reminders of films they DIDN'T like that much?!?

The toys for the Disney films SINCE The Force Awakens have been sitting on store shelves gathering dust.
One major retailer, Toys 'R Us, went out of business this year and they had thousands of examples of unsold Star Wars merchandise NO ONE was buying as those stories liquidated their inventory! Those toys will go into a landfill right next to all the Atari 2600 ET cartridges that DIDN'T sell, either.
Furthermore, Solo did NOT make money unless you're a die-hard Star Wars fan unwilling to accept reality. IT BOMBED... It lost to the tune of AT LEAST $80million if not closer to $200 million when marketing and reshoots are considered. It's in the red, it did not make a profit, PERIOD... This is not even counting the fact they didn't aggressively market that film so much because they KNEW they were in trouble after the that film's original directors were fired and replaced by Ron Howard when the film was 85% shot. Howard went ahead and DOUBLED the production budget of that film by virtually reshooting most of what had already been filmed!
Solo was in trouble from the start because A) nobody asked for an origin film about Han Solo; and B) the bad stink of The Last Jedi was left on people's mouths and they didn't want to go see another Star Wars film 5 months later with the bad memory of that film fresh on their minds! The director of TLJ and various LucasFilm reps took to social media and said some very inflammatory things that cheesed off a lot of Star Wars fans who do keep track of social media.
The fans were worn out by mediocre films that were released too close together AND an antagonistic LucasFilm which for some odd reason started biting the hands of the people who've bought their merchandise for decades... Well, not so much in the last 3-4 years since the DisneyWars film, the last few videogames, and TV projects have not excited people that much. The last Star Wars project that DIDN'T divide fans or keep people from buying the tie-in's was The Clone Wars CG series.

The end result was inevitable. Solo bombed, period.

Toys 'R Us WOULD have gone out of business sooner or later without better management BUT the failure of the last few waves of Star Wars toys was a big contributor to pushing that retailer out of business.
The company that also has the license to produce Star Wars action figures, Hasbro, is ALSO in trouble and I would strongly suspect Disney/LucasFilm are going to have a hard time selling the Star Wars IP for the license fees they USED to be able to get for the brand. It's a lame IP unless the next two Star Wars projects are huge hits. Nobody's going to want to pay big cash for that license if they paid attention to what happened with Toys 'R Us and the fan reaction online.

And yet, I see a lot less of them in the discount bins and discount stores than I did of the prequel trilogy, but this is basically what happens to anything when it's popular: At least some of the affiliated companies will overproduce. I'd see this for Harry Potter merchandise at the peak of their popularity, Mattel seriously overextended themselves with Monster High for quite some time (though they've scaled back since), and I always see a few Pokémon items in the clearance racks every single time I pass by it at Target or walk into a 99 Cents Only store and such. If Star Wars is a money sink for merchandise, then Marvel is too, considering I see about as much of those marked down as the Star Wars stuff.

And no, the biggest factor to Toys R Us going out of business is not because of Star Wars toys. It's because Bain Capital, the company that bought out Toys R Us, pushed their bad debt into Toys R Us, making it into a proverbial sacrificial lamb so that their other acquisitions wouldn't have to have that debt. This happened in the past with Kay-Bee Toys, and it happened to Toys R Us. The company's financial troubles existed long before any of the sequel trilogy stuff came out, and the writing was on the wall even several years ago when Toys R Us started hemorrhaging money for no apparent reason, then diverted their funds to largely defensive measures (minimizing expansion and marketing, cutting ties with toy companies for exclusives which used to be one of Toys R Us's big things, downsizing, closing stores). Believe me, I've been quite a fan of Toys R Us since I was little, and I was so sad to see it go that I looked for any news to find any sort of hope for it.

I mean, Target and Walmart both have an entire aisle to just Star Wars stuff, and they're both doing fine.

I'm also not seeing where Hasbro is in any sort of trouble, at least financially speaking. They have been reporting gains for at least the past two years, just bought the Power Rangers brand, and was close to buying the Lionsgate brand. If any money has been lost, it was through these acquisitions and attempted acquisitions. They had also wrangled the Disney license from Mattel between The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

Lastly, as an outsider who just watches a lot of movies, the general consensus I'm seeing is that the moves are "divisive." This means that there are a lot of people who disliked them, but there are also a lot of people who liked them. It does not mean the movies are bad, just that they took creative decisions that had angered or disappointed some people. Now, I don't know much about the Star Wars fandom, but I do know a lot about the fandom for Sonic the Hedgehog, having been in it for most of my life, but it seems as though the Star Wars fandom is fractured into little bits, meaning anything released would be divisive and that's the best they can hope for, regardless of what the movies are about. Certainly, that's the case with Sonic: Even when something really nice comes along like Sonic Generations or Sonic Mania, there are fans who will never be pleased by it. (The inverse is true too: Release garbage like Sonic 2006 or Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, and you will get people who will defend them to the death and refuse to even acknowledge the games are flawed.) You make it sound like nobody liked these movies, even though people definitely went to go see them. I do think they're releasing them too often though. I'm getting Mario Party vibes.

Am I saying that Star Wars is at its highest in popularity? Of course not. The original trilogy was lightning in a bottle, so to speak, with no one expecting the movie to do well (except for George Lucas, who asked for the merchandising rights). There was no fandom then, no one had seen anything like it before, and thus there were no expectations. I would never expect Star Wars to reach those heights ever again. At the same time, however, the ship has not sunk in the same way as what happened to Looney Tunes (I am not a Star Wars fan, but I AM a Looney Tunes fan, and I am quite sad at how thoroughly that franchise has been rejected despite repeated attempts to revive it). When Disney decides to stop making Star Wars movies or sell Lucasfilm to some other studio, that's when we should be concerned--the purpose of the Walt Disney Company, after all, is to make money. They will not continue to extend a franchise to something that doesn't make money. It's why, after all, we got a Cars 3 but never got a Princess and the Frog 2.

(That being said, yeah, looking at IMDb, you're right. Solo likely lost Disney money, with a $300 million budget and a current $390 million worldwide gross. I'm not being sarcastic with this; the IMDb budgets don't account for marketing, which for a movie like Solo, can be as much as the rest of the movie combined. That is a huge budget though, which illustrates Disney's confidence in the brand. A shame because I liked Solo. It wasn't a movie I was anticipating eagerly, and I thought, too, that it didn't really need to exist, but hey, now I want another one.)
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:19 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

Maybe it was, I just couldn't get past the Samurai Jack designs, and I find the Clone Wars to be one of the most boring eras to make so many shows about.

The Clone Wars era features an extended epic war where the Jedi were plentiful & they lead an entire badass army fighting on the front lines against a relatively equal threat with badass Sith against them starring iconic Jedi like Anakin Skywalker, Yoda, & Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Looking at all that, the fact you actually consider this era to be one of the most boring is utterly baffling to me. Dislike it you may but to think it boring you cannot.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I really liked the Clone Wars TV series, they did a really good job getting better as it went too.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Well, it all depends on how the "younger audience" approach is done.

Yup, I agree, it depends on the show and how it's done. The only reason I mentioned it was that I figured someone else might have seen Skyland and as such I wanted to preempt that they might have made the point that while the show occasionally touched at some darker themes it never really took advantage of them as much as it could have, since I brought up the show in relation to how I thought the art style looked.

Most importantly, I've gotta say I'm not really that worried, Filoni has been good at making something that works for younger and older fans alike so I think he'll do so again with this.

residentgrigo wrote:
and enough money to afford a stead frame-rate.

That seems to be mostly down to the directors or producers since they seem to often talk about as to whether or not they want to emulate the 2D anime framerate. And additionally I think their western projects haven't tried to do so as much as some of their Japanese projects. I don't recall Transformers Prime doing it for example. I feel like I remember that show being very smooth. Same for Robots in Disguise, though I've only seen a handful of eps of that.

Haven't watched it in a couple of years but I remember Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror was quite smooth as well, as an example of one of their Japanese projects that seemingly went more like US CG.

Xe4 wrote:
Granted, Polygon is only producing this, but considering the best work they ever did was with Disney on Tron: Uprising, I can't help but see this as a a good thing. Hoping the best for the show, though I've never been to into CG Star Wars.

That was a great looking show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2