• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Promised Neverland Anime Reveals Cast, Staff, Character Visuals

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I love the style they went with for the characters. The manga's character designs are easily it's worst point. So making them look much better helps.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
professorwho wrote:
Cloverworks is a branch of A-1 Pictures but re-named...

Well, expect quality control to be non-existent... (Yes, I'm one of those guys who hates A-1 because of all the garbage they shove out with no QC)

I would disagree. Say what you will about Eromanga Sensei or Franxx, but their visual execution was consistently good. Slow Start had more than its share of excellent character animation. Idolm@ster SideM was also fairly good in that regard, about what one would expect from the Idolm@ster crew, though not as good as the first anime, which was also A-1 btw. There are certainly A-1 shows that don't do so well in this regard, but that is dependent on the staff not the (highly freelance) studio.

There are also cases where some see not enough quality control and others (namely sakuga fans) see letting the animators do their thing, like with Apocrypha, or even a little bit of both like with Grancrest.

Thorfinn wrote:
It's a shame they didn't go for a more reliable studio and a better staff. The staff isn't even impressive at all. Maybe Cloverworks will get their stuff together for this adaptation but I seriously doubt it. If we get lucky the production will have a very solid set of producers that will be able to bring in a lot of talented people to work on it.

A-1 have disappointed me countless times and I have every reason to believe the same will happen with their anime version of this story.

Setting one's expectations based primarily on the studio a show is attached to, especially with the heavily freelance A-1 (and now its rebranded subsidiary CloverWorks), is a bit facile in my opinion. The staff generally have way more influence on the quality of the work than what studio it is attached to.

The staff in this case does give me some concern, though I did like the director's Sound of the Sky, and the series composition writer does have some experience with shonen. Mahou Shoujo Nante Mouiideskara had some nice bits of animation, so perhaps they can bring some of those connections to this.

I didn't watch Franxx but I'm not giving a single spec of credit to A-1 for how it looked.

And no matter how freelance the studio is since they consistently put out shows that range from garbage to average at best people aren't exactly wrong for being wary.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, the manga is strong enough material that I don't think there will be any real concern with the writing which tends to be the chief problem when it comes to series by A1 and they can do great animation when they try so I have faith this will turn out to be at least above average.

Last edited by Zeino on Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Calico

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:42 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Does anyone know how to translate Japanese measurements? It goes from 100 to 11"(I thought it was the text becoming blurred at first, but looking closely it is a Quotation mark) to 120. Does it go from 100 something to 11 inches to 120 something.

Those are centimeters. The 11' is 110 centimeters. You can find a converter from centimeters to feet and inches online pretty easily.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Does anyone know how to translate Japanese measurements? It goes from 100 to 11"(I thought it was the text becoming blurred at first, but looking closely it is a Quotation mark) to 120. Does it go from 100 something to 11 inches to 120 something.

Those are centimeters. The 11' is 110 centimeters. You can find a converter from centimeters to feet and inches online pretty easily.

' is the symbol for feet not centimeter tho. I know they're not 11 feet so that's why it's weird they used a symbol there at all.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
I didn't watch Franxx but I'm not giving a single spec of credit to A-1 for how it looked.

You probably should give more than you think, given that Trigger only did a few of the episodes, and beyond Imaishi and some of the animators, little of the staff, especially the key staff, were affiliated with Trigger. But perhaps you’re correct that the credit shouldn’t go to the studio that made it. Maybe it should go to the staff that actually made it.

Quote:
And no matter how freelance the studio is since they consistently put out shows that range from garbage to average at best people aren't exactly wrong for being wary.

I’d say it ranges wider than just average with stuff like Anohana, From the New World, Your Lie in April, to name a few. With that level of variation, I don’t think a comprehensive look at the studio’s work tells you anything useful about the quality of the production or anything else, and only highlights the importance of looking at the staff to tell whether something made at the studio will be good or not.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Aaaaaa I’m so excited! Promised Neverland is one of my fave mangas right now, up there with BNHA. I think the anime visual so far looks great! Very clean and smooth. I’d say let’s have a little faith and wait for the actual trailer to come out before jumping the gun and assuming it’ll turn out disappointing.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:

' is the symbol for feet not centimeter tho. I know they're not 11 feet so that's why it's weird they used a symbol there at all.

...it's 110 cm. The 0 is just scratched out/faded. It goes 100 -> 110 -> 120.
MaaraMori

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Killua and Alluka's seyuus are together again. Didn't imagine Ray's voice as Killua's. And in general I thought Norman and Ray would sound more mature.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
The amount of negativity going around here simply over a studio as freelance as Cloverworks is a head-scratcher when they’re the type of studio whose works are pretty much dependent on what staff are working on it, which is not always the same from show to show. Anyway, interesting choice of director and the series composition person appears to be a solid choice. The composer is relatively new, but that in of itself isn’t a reason to believe that they will not do a good job. Overall, I’m pumped up for this show in January and I look forward to seeing a trailer for it soon.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:47 pm Reply with quote
It's gonna take me a bit of time to get used to the way the characters look in the anime.
Feli1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:34 am Reply with quote
some of the art style looks very generic but I’m kinda looking forward to it since I did read abit about it back before it started getting “hawt” but considering that A1 is behind it I ain’t keeping my hopes up lol
JuanDmarco

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:
Cloverworks is a branch of A-1 Pictures but re-named...

Well, expect quality control to be non-existent... (Yes, I'm one of those guys who hates A-1 because of all the garbage they shove out with no QC)

Yeah, I'm worried about it being A-1 Pictures too, but Blend S, Slow Start and Granblue Fantasy were good, so maybe there's a chance this will be good too.

To be honest, I'd rather have an adaptation from Toei. Their animation quality might be inconsistent but they at least adapt the plot properly, unlike A-1. They change way too from the source material imo.
Izu Zoldyck

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:29 am Reply with quote
Nice really thanks god it's not studio pierrot who adopt this Anime, if not one more Master Piece is gonna be ruined. Don't anything about CloverWorks though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2