• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Square Enix Responds to Dragon Quest Composer's 2015 Anti-LGBTQ Statements

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:58 am Reply with quote
As long as the Dragon Quest composer continues to be employed by Square Enix, their statement comes across as a hollow meaningless gesture.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:22 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
As long as the Dragon Quest composer continues to be employed by Square Enix, their statement comes across as a hollow meaningless gesture.

He's not an employee, he's just partner who legal owns all the DQ music. To the point SE can't easily make DQ games or release old titles without his or his company's involvement. I don't know how SE is gonna handle the next installments with this, but I think only way Suigyama takes real damage is through fan backlash. Most of his money comes from his concerts and other ownership and connection he has in he industry. Unfortunately most of the country has known about his toxic views and few are interested in doing anything about him due how culturally significant his music and DQ are in Japan.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:00 am Reply with quote
Wow! I am actually surprised. A lot of people are saying that everyone pretty much knew how negative this man can be. Honestly, I kept thinking before reading the article that it was just 2015 and that he's old so it doesn't matter. But the fact that I read more on him paying for adds about the 2nd world war makes me really taken back.... Even his actions and words.....

Look, as someone who has family that doesn't really believe in the LGBT+ (mostly my father) that will always be telling people "I don't really believe/support them but as long as they aren't hurting anyone or hit on me then I don't care whatever they do." Which is basically a thing I wouldn't mind what he said. A lot of people think that way too. Not asking for people to magically go for it because it's really impossible. It's a wonderful yet troubling thing of humanity and our opinions. There's a lot I don't agree with but I don't mind as long as it's hurting anyone. Everyone goes about how Japan believes in this yet here we see a man that is the opposite of what it is. It is true that the majority can be like this but there's always gonna be a few sour grapes.

Every country has different faults and people so not everyone will think the same.
SuperRed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:46 am Reply with quote
I don't think he should be fired, but SE should do more than just simply state "We have a diversity of people here" and call it a day. Maybe they should have a long dialogue with him to learn the roots and details of his views, and ask if they're really defendable. He'll maybe reflect one day and apologize for all the toxic things he's done. Simply firing him won't make him a better person, this I say as someone who thinks punishment is overrated (in cases like this, for someone like Nobuhiro Watsuki, an actual harmful criminal, he gets what's coming) and prefers dialogue.
Ralph Snackshi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Please correct me if I don't have all the facts straight, but I thought Hayato Matsuo was the composer of Magic Knight Rayearth and Sugiyama was just the music supervisor. Did he also write some tracks or is that just a misprint?
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:29 am Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
It’s unproductive to not have kids? That’s rich. It’s almost as if ANYONE could choose to do without having offspring huh?

What a dense statement. It’s not even necessarily appalling to me, it’s just very very idiotic. Whatever happens to him is not my concern though but I hope it’s warranted.

To be fair, Japan has been panicking about its population decline for a while. Whenever I see an anime show promote marriage or such, I joke that it's Japanese government propaganda, even if that's probabltly not exactly the case.
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:35 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Eddy564 wrote:
It’s unproductive to not have kids? That’s rich. It’s almost as if ANYONE could choose to do without having offspring huh?

What a dense statement. It’s not even necessarily appalling to me, it’s just very very idiotic. Whatever happens to him is not my concern though but I hope it’s warranted.

To be fair, Japan has been panicking about its population decline for a while. Whenever I see an anime show promote marriage or such, I joke that it's Japanese government propaganda, even if that's probabltly not exactly the case.

So of course rather than tackling the actual issues that are behind straight Japanese couples not having children, these people choose to attack the LGBTQ community who have nothing to do with it. Seems like the Japanese in general are rather "unproductive" these days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3