• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: BookWalker Announces The Next Big Light Novels Poll Results

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:48 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:

+ keep your character relationships simple. Have a readilly-identifiable core character, and have all the other characters relate solely to that character, with no secondary characters having significant interactions with each other except mediated through the main.
this reduces the difficulty as your cast grows, because you only have to remember N relationships not N^2.

In my case this is a good thing.
I usually drop a novel when comes to the point where i start losing account where some characters are coming from. That happen allot on novels like Index and was the reason i drop it, just too many secondary characters and characters that appear x volumes after their first appearance and i don't remember where they come from.

I prefer casts of small number of well developed characters related to the MC. I really don't care about their relationship outside of the main story. But that's me.

About the other points. The core readers of this WN are late teens and young adults. Most of the time they read this novels in smartphones on they way to college or work.
Because is usually 1 chapter a week or so, you can follow various novels without losing track of them.
Keep them easy to read without going too deep in inner conflicts is a selling point, and that's what make them popular.

Also when their are edit for release as LN some changes are made and some more characters are include and more story are put there

That said, some of this new authors also evolve to better writers as time pass and write great novels.

The point is, depending on what you look for, there will be good novels and novels just to pass a good time even if they are not so good.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:25 am Reply with quote
Healing Hero anime when?
KonradWerner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:58 am Reply with quote
Read a bit from no1 and yeah, it's weak. And not because of the theme. I like revenge stories and dark characters. Plus it's not surprising the lead goes this far considering what they've pit him through.

The problem is he gets is revenge very early on. THe author makes up other goals, more torment and other people to punish, but it's not that interesting. The interesting part was him taking revenge on female lead. That happens very early on and saps the life out of the entire premise. The author blew his load (sic!) way to early
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:59 am Reply with quote
4 and 7 are the only good ones. #2 seemed good until the saving the world and isekai elements were described, if the author actually had the characters invade the planet, I would've pick that up in a heartbeat. I would love to have an LN where characters actually conquer and/or destroy the world they are sent to for once.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2