• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'So I'm a Spider, So What?' Anime's Videos Reveal Lead Voice Actress Aoi Yūki

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:54 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Why do you Yuuki-san's list would be a confirmation bias?

Because my search wasn't nearly comprehensive, it had some glaring exceptions (Kirara, Diane, etc.) and a number of average-sized-ish characters, I haven't actually compared to other VAs' resumes, and the pattern occurred to me only after I was already aware of how short she was IRL -- so the Tanyas, Murasakis, Victoriques, and Tatsumakis jump out at me more than the Kiraras and Dianes do.

It may well be that she has a higher proportion of five-feet-and-under characters than your average seiyu. But I'd hesitate to say it for certain.
traitorAIZEN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:52 am Reply with quote
linkhuesitos15 wrote:
otagirl wrote:
Awful looking CGI...
LN-kumo design (not manga)...
Aoi Yuki awkward not cute voice....

Yeah because Kumo had a cute voice in your head that doesn't mean she really had one, she always called herself as a awkward girl with no friend.

I also think Aoi Yuki's voice doesn't fit kumoko.

....AGGHHH!! can't explain properly because it's heavy spoilers.

Okay... If you analyze her, Wakaba (kumoko), in earth and her description, it doesn't fit with her. She's also describe as cool beauty with a golden ration and one, if not the most, popular girl in the school. Add that to her home life, it's hard to see her as the typical shy/awkward girl, i mean it doesn't really connect.

Aoi Yuki's voice can maybe fit a shy/awkward with a bit of twisted personality girl, but i truly believe a somewhat sweet and femine voice will fit kumoko better. Plus having that sweet feminine voice but having the personality of Wakaba (kumoko) will produce that great voice-personality gap.

Meh, only WN readers will know.

Calico wrote:
Y'all, I have read the light novel. That is why I don't like the subplot. I don't really care how "integral" it is to the worldbuilding because it sucks. If it's so important, then the author should have, I don't know, written it better. Or made it interesting. Honestly, I feel that the constant interjections that explained things actively hurt the tension in the story, like we didn't need to know thatspoiler[Kumoko is actually super special and unique because she can use the Appraisal skill.]

Well, if you've only read LN then you've yet to realize the genius of that style of storytelling. It's when that sub-plot and main-plot suddenly connects that i was truly astounded by the brilliance of it all.

Last edited by traitorAIZEN on Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see Kumoko animated and it's nice to see Shun and Katia. To me the A plot was great and the B plot, though lesser overall(but shaping up nicely as of the 3rd novel), only increased my enjoyment of the whole.

Between the adventures of a reincarnated human-turned slime and a reincarnated human-turned spider in alternate worlds, two of my favorite sub-genres will be melded together(with a third that I also love but is only peripheral to these particular stories) in a way that excites me and I know that the next few months will almost be anime heaven.
ajr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
another person chiming in here with support for the "B" plot. What the author uses that to do to the "A" plot is something I don't think I've seen any other Isekai, maybe any other shounen weak-to-strong story, do.

I'm glad they seem to have the intention of actually animating all eight legs.
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:51 pm Reply with quote
So I still think it's fundamentally unfilmable, and nothing I've seen on the clip suggests that the production team are going to be doing the deep and careful surgery needed to whip the narrative into a decent filmic shape.

Still it should be fun if nothing else, and maybe/hopefully I'm wrong in the above.

[a quick sketch suggests that you can do a decently-complete narrative in about two dozen episodes; you could break that into two half-seasons, but the break point naturally comes a fair bit earlier than that. Paced like an early-90s OVA you could do it in about six...]
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:45 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
So I still think it's fundamentally unfilmable, and nothing I've seen on the clip suggests that the production team are going to be doing the deep and careful surgery needed to whip the narrative into a decent filmic shape.

I only hope if the anime ends on volume 3 please do a second season at that point nothing but the dungeon is finished.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4