• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Big Hollywood Studios Buying Anime Distributors?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nijuuni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:17 am Reply with quote
“[Crunchyroll with other Otter Media companies] represents over 75 billion video views to 93 million people globally this year alone, according to their press release”

Meaning, the average Crunchyroll/et al. viewer watched 833 videos this year…? Is there an extra digit or three somewhere?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:37 am Reply with quote
We’re rapidly approaching Conglomo as old distribution methods are torn apart to make new ones.

https://orig00.deviantart.net/0277/f/2010/135/3/3/conglom_o_by_brooklynzb.png
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:38 am Reply with quote
We should be glad that US studios are currently buying these random distributors or licenses. Far better than Chinese overlords. One of my favorite US comic publishers Valiant was recently bough by such an investor company and you can see the ship currently sinking right before your eyes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
matt78

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:33 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Wow, $73 billion? Yeah, the MCU isn't worth THAT much, but I don't think that affects the reasoning behind the Fox buyout that much. I still believe that if Fox allowed Disney to use Deadpool, the X-Men characters, the Fantastic Four, and characters directly associated with them the way Sony did with Spider-Man, the buyout wouldn't have happened. I don't think Disney ever really coveted the rights to The Simpsons, X-Files, Predator, Alien and such as much as the remaining Marvel characters, but Disney couldn't have acquired those Marvel characters without paying that $73 billion and would've needed those other rights to make up for the amount paid.

Disney bought Fox because they needed all of Fox's content for the streaming service they are launching next year. They are looking to directly compete with Netflix and Amazon. I wouldn't be surprised if most of Fox's library ended up disappearing from both services. Marvel and the rights to the first Star Wars film are like the cherry on top for Disney. They are important but not the main reason for the deal.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:08 am Reply with quote
TemplateR wrote:
Here in Germany, NBC Universal has started to sell their animes....I think............a few years ago, but till now they sold only 2 Anime-Series and planning to release "Drifters" and "Berserk". They involvement of Anime-Releases are atm very, very low.

Besides the "Supernatural"-Anime, Warner Brothers doesn't even sell their produced animes themselves. They always sell their release-license to other "local" companies.

In Short:
Even if a big hollywood-studio is producing anime, that doesn't mean, that the studio will also be released by themselves.

Companies like NBCU (Japan) produce anime for the Japanese. Whether it gets licensed overseas is another story. Take, for example, its 2007 Oh! Edo Rocket, a very "Japanese" story which somehow got licensed by Funimation and probably sold seventeen copies (one to me).

My point was only that the large media corporations have been involved in anime production for some time now. It's hardly a new thing, though the original question suggests otherwise.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:21 am Reply with quote
This is all just stalling for when Disney eventually owns everything. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
The master of left field returns.....

AT&T best know what they're doing, else they'll not just bite off the hand that feeds them, but inccur the wrath of every anime fan out there and cause the collapse of the mainstream anime market. I explicitly remember an Answerman article that Justin recited that told of what the mainstream industry thinks of anime: they don't care, they think it's "weird" and they won't give second thought if it doesn't make them money anymore. These days, as the mainstream entertainment industry cowers harder everyday to their own cowardice to not make financial risks, suffer the self wrought effect of crony capitalist censorship and the lack to cultivate creativity and imagination, and a late act to adapt to the new entertainment platform of the next generation, that attitude is the last nail in the coffin if they want to know how to fail miserably. No higher up needs to be a die hard anime fan, but without understanding and knowing what drives its popularity sincerely, they'll sink faster than a lead weight.

As for Marvel, they have a boatload of problems on their end, and their cinematic universe at the moment is the only thing keeping them- And the film industry- afloat. If that golden goose is so much as wounded, they're way down septic creek without a paddle. Star Wars is already sinking as it is thanks to Disney. Wheter or not AT&T is wise enough to handle their newly acquired properties to make them revenue is up to them.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:
As for Marvel, they have a boatload of problems on their end

Not the least of which is Ike Perlmutter.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
As for me, I guess I'll be sitting here in the Luddite corner with my cable subscription. Consuming content via streaming just fundamentally doesn't work for me.

It's not a binary choice, though. You can get cable channels via streaming nowadays. I dumped my $90/month Comcast subscription and went with DirectTV's streaming service which lets me get just the channels I want for $40/month.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
As for Marvel, they have a boatload of problems on their end

Not the least of which is Ike Perlmutter.

And that's why I am the Anime Revolutionizer. Seriously, that is scummy. It's almost like if Marvel wants a second Comic Books Crash.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe how many changes have happened in the entertainment industry in the last couple of years with these kind of mergers.
In wonder, in Crunchyroll's case, if this will affect their divisions in other countires, since they had recently announced that they will dub some shows like Mob Psycho and Free! into latin-american spanish. Maybe with Warner Bros. at the helm they will license more series, but time will tell.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:38 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Oh, thought the answer was going to be, "Because they don't know what it IS."

(That's why they go out and do Netflix adaptations of Death Note, based, quote, "on the hit manga title!"
Ever notice that no American anime adaptation ever seems to be based on the anime? That's because NYT doesn't publish the weekly anime sales at Barnes & Noble, and US execs wouldn't know how else to gauge what the Young People are watching.)

They think they're being a trend, not a title, and then they can't figure out why that "trend" can't be marketed if they happen to pick the wrong title.
Oh well, it's just easier to buy companies, and let them figure out their own Young People, with their Titans and their One Piece and their streaming Crunchyroll.

I don't necessarily disagree that Hollywood execs are clueless about adaptations, but when the manga is the original source material, it wouldn't be correct to call a live action adaptation an adaptation of the anime. That's not some big conspiracy, it's simply being respectful of the original source material rather than the first adaptation of it.
CR85747

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
Oh, thought the answer was going to be, "Because they don't know what it IS."

(That's why they go out and do Netflix adaptations of Death Note, based, quote, "on the hit manga title!"
Ever notice that no American anime adaptation ever seems to be based on the anime? That's because NYT doesn't publish the weekly anime sales at Barnes & Noble, and US execs wouldn't know how else to gauge what the Young People are watching.)

They think they're being a trend, not a title, and then they can't figure out why that "trend" can't be marketed if they happen to pick the wrong title.
Oh well, it's just easier to buy companies, and let them figure out their own Young People, with their Titans and their One Piece and their streaming Crunchyroll.

I don't necessarily disagree that Hollywood execs are clueless about adaptations, but when the manga is the original source material, it wouldn't be correct to call a live action adaptation an adaptation of the anime. That's not some big conspiracy, it's simply being respectful of the original source material rather than the first adaptation of it.

Studios generally buy live-action rights from mangakas and not anime producers.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
. It's almost like if Marvel wants a second Comic Books Crash.

Take this with a grain of salt if you want, but a few industry insiders I've chatted with have said that is more or less the idea. The comic book industry is extremely insignificant these days, especially compared to movie and television deals.

-Stuart Smith
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
War. War never changes.

what i really hope is that this BS doesnt turn into another harmony gold debacle.

that is the last thing ANY OTAKU want, and if it does happen again to another popular anime, you better believe that NO ONE will ever trust any big time hollywood studio when they get involved in the anime industry.

then again were already there with all of these crappy ass movie knock offs which completely bombed even worse than the hiroshima's atomic bomb!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7