• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Artist Hiroko Yokoyama Discusses Sexism in Japan's '90s Game Industry

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Speaking from a pragmatic view, that manager guy isn't really wrong. It's the same reason companies wont put as much resources and training into temp workers as they would full-time employees. If it's more common for women to retire upon marriage of having children, then I can see the logic of businesses doing it.

Yeah, it's very easy and simple to blame the managers, but put yourself in their shoes, what if they did that because that's examctly what happened; the social pressure of the japanese comunity was there so women REALLY did quit their jobs after getting married, so as a manager would you spend your limited company resources on a person who is sure going to quit in 5 years tops ro do you take the gamble andspend them in a person that might last until the company dies.
DTJB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:28 am Reply with quote
OFF TOPIC: Did a quick search and it looks like most of the NES box art for these games were done by Marc Ericksen. Anyway...

Read the title and expected this to be about 90s video game marketing (another blemish on the industry) but this is all worth talking about too. Heard this old mentality about Japanese working women who should retire after marriage going around for a while so I'm not too surprised about the findings in the article.
Quote:
Shortly after completing the course, both men whom the company had sent to training quit without passing the techniques on to any coworkers.

(face-palm SMACK!) Ugh.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:42 am Reply with quote
Not surprised that more and more young, highly educated Japanese women remain single if their only option after marriage seems to be a lifelong career as housewives (nothing wong with being a housewife as long as it's a deliberate choice)...
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
No, that's probably (a small) part of why the birthrate IS declining. How many women will want to raise a family if they know it's a death sentence to their career? Things in the US are still pretty heinous compared to much of the West, especially when it comes to the lack of sane maternity leave, but Christ, at least we're not still riding the Sally Homemaker train.

Japan isn't either since the 1990s. Many Japanese companies now offer work-life balance packages, but usually it's only the major ones because they can afford the flexibility. Smaller firms still have a long way to go to escape the "black company" stigma. Also, major cities have enacted policies to open daycare centers and foster an environment where having kids is less of a burden, and they fill up fast.

I believe the biggest reason for the population decline is the economic uncertainty late Gen Xers and Millennials have from growing up in the Lost Decade. If the economy continues to get better, the next generation surely will have more children. The question is, until that point, how low will the population dip, and how should the effects be managed?

reanimator wrote:
I'm not going to disagree completely on what you said, it's just sad that women are the only ones who have to carry burden of raising child(ren) in Japan. At least in the West, both men and women tries to balance work and raising family however they can.

By "West," which countries? As an American, that certainly wasn't the way I was brought up.

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:58 am; edited 2 times in total
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
The ingrained of the problem is shown in this thread:

https://twitter.com/LilithAlive/status/1027535818317955072

Quote:
My experience applying to work at Sega, as an average-looking foreign woman in Japan, a thread:

Good God, that is disgusting, truly sickening. I don't align myself with the feminist movement but no woman should have to go through crap like that. She seems determined to stick it out in Japan, but if I were in her position I'd just leave. This is why I have no desire to live in Japan unless I'm independently wealthy through my writing\other endeavors. I'm a man but I recognize that for foreigners this is just the way it's going to be. Not even worth a try. I would be interested in teaching English but that's something I feel like I can do when my Japanese is good enough. I would enjoy it. This lady here has found herself forced into a position she doesn't want to be in but has to pay her bills.

As to the subject of the article...I really can't say I'm surprised. I really didn't expect anything less from Japanese corporate culture.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
I don't know about Japan is being strict nuclear family system and keeping up with Jones, but how many Japanese women are willing to marry men living with parents? Plus there is that ever present Demon-wife vs Demon-mother-in-law conflict we hear so much about. More wealthier you get, more nuclear your family becomes, i guess? And that's not limited to Japanese either. Speaking of materialism, I see my well-to-do neighbors composed of working couples with high paying jobs are hiring Latino nannies to watch their children while working their hardest to paying off their expenses.

I don't even know where to begin with this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2