• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Schedules Angel Links DVD for November 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:40 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Why bother license a shows and than wait so long to release it? If a license only last 8 to 10 years that is not much time to sell it with the amount of time it has left. Even more for a under rated show like this and not even on blu ray at that.

Angel Links (and Tales of the Abyss) taking so long is all on Sunrise. This is a known fact already and is also part of the reason why Sentai hasn't released anything from their side of the deal other than Big O.

As for no Blu-ray, unlike Outlaw Star, there is no Blu-ray for Angel Links in Japan yet, same reason as Witch Hunter Robin being DVD-only (and half of Sentai's Sunrise pickups will be if Japan won't do anything).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:43 am Reply with quote
I get why Funi didn't dub Tales of the Abyss, but they could of outsourced it to LA, I think most of the VAs are still in work. Unless it is not popular enough, which i guess makes sense since mostly only fans will pick it up.
What's Angel links like? I remember seeing a lot of negative reviews of it in the early days of YouTube, so I never bothered watching it
penguintruth wrote:
Would have been nice if Funimation had more creative cover art for their Cowboy Bebop: The Movie release. That's basically just the old, generic one, slightly altered.
I remember that from the Sony release, the UK cover for the Blu-Ray release is pretty good, aside from still calling it the Movie instead of Knockin' on Heaven's Door, it's a shame they are not using that.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:20 am Reply with quote
I bought the old Bandai boxset of Angel Links and while it wasn't as good as Outlaw Star, I personally enjoyed it at the time. I thought Meifong was an interesting lead character and I liked the twist with her character and I liked the ending and I liked Duuz's character. The biggest problems is that there's a lot of mediocre filler in episodes at the beginning and it doesn't really pick up till towards the end. I don't think it's a bad purchase, but it's not a must have and Crunchyroll will probably stream it at some point. In regards to Funimation's other announcements, I'm disappointed Funimation didn't announce a release date for Ancient Magus Bride as I would like to have it on BluRay. But of the titles they announced, I'm most looking forward to getting Blood Blockade season two and Space Battleship Yamato.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:50 am Reply with quote
when are we getting konosuba for crying out loud
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:03 am Reply with quote
I'm going to double dip and get Angel Links again. I love the show, and of course I'm getting it for Duuz, because Duuz.

Tales of the Abyss really should have gotten dubbed. Bandai missed a big opportunity to make bigger DVD sales by releasing it subbed only.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Tales of the Abyss really should have gotten dubbed. Bandai missed a big opportunity to make bigger DVD sales by releasing it subbed only.
Given the state of the anime home video market, and especially Bandai's condition at the time, I can't fault their decision. Parts 3 and 4 of TotA came out after Bandai's official shutdown announcement in January 2012, after all. Especially with the costs of dubbing in LA, it's quite reasonable to think that a dub would have increased sales, but not by enough to recover the dubbing expenses. And Bandai may not have been able to afford a satisfactory dub with the game cast in the first place -- we might have gotten another disappointing effort with Geneon-Higurashi/Familiar of Zero/Nanoha-level budgets.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Given the state of the anime home video market, and especially Bandai's condition at the time, I can't fault their decision. Parts 3 and 4 of TotA came out after Bandai's official shutdown announcement in January 2012, after all. Especially with the costs of dubbing in LA, it's quite reasonable to think that a dub would have increased sales, but not by enough to recover the dubbing expenses. And Bandai may not have been able to afford a satisfactory dub with the game cast in the first place -- we might have gotten another disappointing effort with Geneon-Higurashi/Familiar of Zero/Nanoha-level budgets.

I don't know. The dub cast for the game was amazing and they likely would have done an equally great job had they been called on again for the anime.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Cool, been missing my last DVD for ages so I've been waiting for Angel Links, plus it'll probably be a better copy on a much newer DVD than back then too.

Gonna be a big November. Will also be picking up two of my fav recent shows in BBB S2 and Garo Vanishing Line (loved it so much!), plus Kino, and probably Tales since it'll be on BD this time. And definitely double-dipping on the Bebop movie for real surround sound.

Along with completing Yamato 2199, which is a great remake.

MarkyMarc413 wrote:
FINALLY! A home video release date for Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond! Hopefully there's a Limited Edition like season 1 had, and that this series doesn't get the no-LE-for-part-2 pattern Funimation's been on lately...

-Marc.

Yeah! Been waiting for it, I hope this new season gets an LE too.

belvadeer wrote:
I don't know. The dub cast for the game was amazing and they likely would have done an equally great job had they been called on again for the anime.

Yeah, I wish that'd happened. Since Bandai Ent was dying at the time I understand why they possibly couldn't afford it, but it really sucked as it would have been great to have the game dub cast come back for the series. They were so good.

That's one of the reasons I'm glad they never got around to actually delivering their announced version of Gosick as that was going to be subbed only as well, likely just because of their financial state and being one of their final releases before closing and not due to potential of the show, but since that never came out before they closed we eventually got Funi to give it a nice new dub for a dual audio blu-ray release.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
In regards to Funimation's other announcements, I'm disappointed Funimation didn't announce a release date for Ancient Magus Bride as I would like to have it on BluRay. But of the titles they announced, I'm most looking forward to getting Blood Blockade season two and Space Battleship Yamato.

Hmmm, I think BBB & Beyond finished just before Magus Bride started doing its second half, if I remember correctly, so I don't think it'll be too much longer, maybe in one of the next couple of monthly announcements.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2