• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Giant Robo, Kimagure Orange Road, Galaxy Express 999, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mewzard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:43 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
And his English voice actor went on to voicing older Joseph in JoJo!

Very true, and a fantastic choice for the role!
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Hooray for Giant Robo, Yasuhiro Imagawa's masterpiece (that it was only meant to be just part one of a continuing saga which still both boggles the mind and hurts that it will never happen now) on Bluray like it deserves!

Hooray for Galaxy Express 999 getting Blu-Ray masters that don't suck!

Hooray for Kimagure Orange Road getting Blu-ray release!

Hooray for Voltes V, one of the very few Super Robot series for the 70s to actually hold up being released over here!
Bamble

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Some amazing announcements here, especially a long-overdue competent physical media release for Galaxy Express 999! Pretty much everything will be on my to-buy list.

Between all the announcements, there's a few items that I've not seen clarified anywhere yet:

1. The Kimagure Orange Road release has been described as "the whole thing, except that one weird new movie". Taking that description literally, does this include the pilot episode, or, as I suspect, does that fall under a different license holder?

2. There was a third TV special for Galaxy Express 999, "Eternal Traveler Emeraldas". I hope this is able to eventually be included and that it's not another "Mystery of the Arcadia" situation.

3. The Area 88 release is including the CPM dub of episode 1 - what happened with the quest for the CPM dub for episode 2? Was there ever a CPM dub for this episode, or was this erroneous information? Or has it simply proven to be impossible to find?

Hopefully, we'll get answers as Discotek's work diligently proceeds on all this old-school goodness.
horseradish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Mon May 04, 2020 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Hooray for Giant Robo, Yasuhiro Imagawa's masterpiece (that it was only meant to be just part one of a continuing saga which still both boggles the mind and hurts that it will never happen now) on Bluray like it deserves!

Imagawa doesn't do sequels, unfortunately. No new Gundam Fight, no Shin Great Mazinger, no Siege of Babylon, no... well Tetsujin ended pretty definitively. Otherwise, the man loves cliffhangers and teasers, but doesn't do follow ups.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I was at Otakon during their panel when this was going on. I'm very happy with all of these titles being announced. I still have my fingers cross that they will pick up Paranoia Agent, Baoh, 3x3 Eyes (With both dubs), Twilight of the Cockroaches and Legend of Black Heaven in the future.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I want it all. Absolutely all of it. I'm going to save up for this SO HARD!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Zeino wrote:

Imagawa doesn't do sequels, unfortunately. No new Gundam Fight, no Shin Great Mazinger, no Siege of Babylon, no... well Tetsujin ended pretty definitively. Otherwise, the man loves cliffhangers and teasers, but doesn't do follow ups.

Quote:
From TV Tropes about it:
You know how the series ends with a teaser for a final battle between the Experts and Big Fire? That was supposed to be animated, as the climax of the series. And, in fact, Imagawa had plans for an entire saga spanning several OVA series, of which Giant Robo was the second to last chronologically. The others would have explained things like how Daisaku became an Expert and the origin of the Magnifacent Ten (along with a teamup between Giant Robo and Tetsujin 28) before it all culminating in the final series, "The Siege of Babel," which is the story teased at the end of Giant Robo. Thanks to funding issues, none of these series will ever come to be.

So it not because he didn't want to. It because it was sadly unappreciated in Japan at the time and thus bomb in sales and thus no more was made. Which is why Imagawa really should have known better when he pulled the same stunt with Shin Mazinger.

Last edited by Zeino on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
This may be an unpopular question among diehard boy Ray and DVD collectors but are there any streaming platforms I can watch these and other discotek licenses on? I'm not really made of no at plus I don't want to put money towards older shows that may or may not be good.

Galaxy Express 999 TV you can find just about ANY old darn where on streaming, although Crunchyroll is the most reliable.
Since Discotek doesn't have its own sovereign streaming service like Funi or Viz, CR has to give them and Nozomi a helping hand.

The other licensees, um....not so much. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
SolHerald

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
This may be an unpopular question among diehard boy Ray and DVD collectors but are there any streaming platforms I can watch these and other discotek licenses on? I'm not really made of no at plus I don't want to put money towards older shows that may or may not be good.

Some titles like Galaxy Express 999 are already streaming on Crunchyroll. Other titles we will have to wait closer to their release date to find out. Sometimes they stream stuff, other times they don't.

For series I would check Crunchyroll and and for movies I would check Midnight Pulp or Crackle.

Last edited by SolHerald on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
It’s full HD. The new transfer was done in Japan for Netflix last year. It’s gorgeous.

Thank for debunking the notions that Discotek's release was going to be SD-BD. I look forward to watching cell animation in astonishing HD.
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
K-k-k-k-kimagure-

*inhales deeply*

-They licensed Kimagure Orange Road!?
My favorite show of all time!?
I don't have to sadly browse through the eBay listings for Overpriced Ancient DVD Releases!?

Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
These anime when???

Quote:
Da Capo (all seasons and OVAs)
Manabi Straight
Minami-ke (all seasons and OVAs)
Seitokai Yakuindomo (All seasons, OVAs, and movie)
They Are My Noble Masters
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Jesus Discotek, pace yourselves. I have a huge backlog for you guys already and I'm not made of shelf space. Laughing
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quote
SolHerald wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

Some titles like Galaxy Express 999 are already streaming on Crunchyroll. Other titles we will have to wait closer to their release date to find out. Sometimes they stream stuff, other times they don't.

For series I would check Crunchyroll and and for movies I would check Midnight Pulp or Crackle.

Thanks and sorry for the heavy typos. Phones love to do auto correct.

So it's basically a crapshoot with discotek like with AoA where they put their stuff on multiple platforms. I was hoping someone would say they are almost all on Hulu or crunchyroll or somewhere else But at least I know to check crunchyroll in the future
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6