• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Are Dub Crew Members Taking Over Voice Actors' Jobs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
It usually does work that way since it would be pretty tough to jump straight into things like writing and directing since it's a different beast from most other types of productions. As far as producers go, some moved up the chain long enough ago that I think some people are unaware that they started out as actors. Justin Cook would be a good example. I've also noticed that some staff members, like Clarine Harp, are cast much less than they used to be now that Funimation has expanded its actor pool.

Yeah, you're right, I noticed that too with some of them over time, having been watching their stuff since the beginning too.

Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
When Funi showed the FT dub for the first time I know heard it being said that Mashima was worried about Todd Haberkorn was cast as Natsu because he (Natsu) yells a lot, but he ended up liking it. Though that might be a completely separate issue.

Cool.
I know once I got into the show I couldn't imagine Natsu without his voice anymore. Looking forward to his return to the role with the show coming back for its last run. Such a great, fun dub cast IMO. The series may have its issues but I love that cast and hearing them together bouncing off each other always makes me smile, like when I just recently finally got around to watching my copy of Dragon Cry, so I hadn't heard them in a while.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
stevek504 wrote:
But, how does it work? I am sure there is a variation to how it is actually done. My questions would be, are these jobs paid at different rates (Director, VA, Script, etc.)? I would assume so.

If a person were to be a Director and voice one of the major characters are they getting paid the higher pay (say per hour) or are different rates applied for the different hours they put in each category?

I will assume if the person is just doing voice work, but say voicing two major characters (say twins) they are just being paid by the hour and are lucky that they potentially have 2x the pay of another actor that is just doing one character.

I don't think that directors get paid anything extra for voice over. It probably wouldn't look very good to give yourself a big role and get paid more.

if somebody is voicing multiple roles, it still gets paid by the hour. That is why one of the more common ways to cast extras is to send an actor who finished early to go record with another director with their remaining time. From talking to actors at conventions, they get paid for the booked amount of time regardless, but sometimes that means filling it elsewhere, and other times that means getting to go home early.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:50 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Japanese licensors don't approve or disapprove of dub casting. That's a myth. A lot of people say that Japanese licensors approve or disapprove based on the sound of the actor's voice relative to the Japanese original, but most leads sound nothing like the Japanese which debunk the myth. It seems voice actors use the myth to deflect criticism. Like Sonny Strait said that the Japanese director of Escaflowne was involved in the dub to deflect criticism.

Don't peddle the myth, Justin.

actually it is 100% true. both the licensors and at times even the authors of some highly popular series tend to have a final say on the dub casting. its already known that miss naoko herself choose the casting for the redubbing of the original SM and had the same cast for SM Crystal.

and its cause of that fact that there are some fans who believe that FMA's arakawa had a say in getting both mignonga and dismuke to cast as the two main characters for her manga reboot of heroic legend of arslan considering that its those two that pretty much made FMA a household name back in 2003!

does it happen ALL the time?? no of course not! but they do happen. its not a myth by a long shot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:23 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

and its cause of that fact that there are some fans who believe that FMA's arakawa had a say in getting both mignonga and dismuke to cast as the two main characters for her manga reboot of heroic legend of arslan considering that its those two that pretty much made FMA a household name back in 2003!

Chris Bevins did this on purpose, since he thought it would be amusing. This is something he directly addresses in one of the commentaries for season 1. Arakawa had no involvement in it
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:16 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

Chris Bevins did this on purpose, since he thought it would be amusing. This is something he directly addresses in one of the commentaries for season 1. Arakawa had no involvement in it

well i have the season one dvd for arslan and there definitely were no commentary that bevins did. unless it was included in the blue ray version , i don't ever recall him even addressing the dub casting on whether or not did arakawa had a say in it.

besides it wasnt just me, there are other 2003 fma fans from other anime forums that watched arslan have more or less pretty much assumed the same thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3