• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Manga Publishing Company Denpa Launches, Licenses Kaiji, Inside Mari, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:26 am Reply with quote
I saw a tweet about Pez being licensed in English the other day, and I was so excited about getting more from Asada's Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee verse that I missed that it was the first story set in that world...and more importantly, that Ed of Vertical started a brand new manga publishing company! Congratulations to Ed, and if you haven't read Tegami Bachi, IT IS GORGEOUS! Seriously, one of the prettiest fantasy manga I have ever read! I hope this is a stand alone and does well for them. I'm not interested in Inside Mari, Kaiji, or art books, but I am eagerly awaiting any news from this publisher! I did notice that Vertical had changed, good thing that there are so many manga to be published English manga companies aren't really competing against each other--they are fulfilling a niche in which there is always room for more!
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:06 am Reply with quote
Great news ! I just ended Kaiji's first TV show and I wanted to see better fitted to a paper format it was. So glad I didn't subscribe to Kingdom's bimonthly subscription!
"Denpa will release Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji (Tobaku Mokushiroku Kaiji) in six omnibus volumes with 500+ pages each"
What kind of format is this? Does this still look like a manga with a jacket or will it be like a big novel with fragile cover? What kind of binding does it have & how strong it is?
(I'm interested but I don't want to import some monster book blindly)
At least, this new publisher tells immediately that they have bought only the original Kaiji series. It is more honest than 7Seas who tricked me into buying their Lodoss Tome 1 (to support the release, despite already owning the french regular edition) only to tell after that they never intended to buy the full first novel series.

Happy to see a country getting a re-release of a robot title but this time as an independent book. Those robot deluxe magazines were already too expensive for me when they were in stores but nowadays...

As for Murata's art-book, I don't know wich works it features but a US edition have a more attractive price for me.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:02 am Reply with quote
Inside Mari and Maiden Railways sound like releases that will interest me. Hopefully they pop up on bookdepository.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:10 am Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:
What kind of format is this? Does this still look like a manga with a jacket or will it be like a big novel with fragile cover? What kind of binding does it have & how strong it is?
(I'm interested but I don't want to import some monster book blindly)

Regarding quality, Ed was the one who fought to bring over the Vertical Gundam Origin hardcovers that are probably some of the best quality manga books that I've seen out there. I doubt that now he's striking out into something he has more of a vested interest in that the quality would somehow dip. I think you can rest assured! Surprised

Spawn29 wrote:
I rather wish Seven Seas pick up Kaiji instead because I love their hardcovers and this Kaiji release is paperback only.

Regarding Seven Seas picking up Kaiji, I don't really see a world where that happens without Kaiji getting a new anime adaptation. Devilman Crybaby reinvigorated a lot of interest in Go Nagai's works which is why I suspect we got all this very good content from them. Especially considering the length that Kaiji goes on for. If yall love Kaiji, make sure to truly buy buy buy these omnibuses.

EDIT: I had no idea Mr. Tonegawa was actually a Kaiji spinoff, so in a manner I suppose it does have it's own new anime! However, I feel my sentiment still stands, especially on the daunting length of the series.

AyanamiRei wrote:
Happy to see a country getting a re-release of a robot title but this time as an independent book. Those robot deluxe magazines were already too expensive for me when they were in stores but nowadays...

You're telling me... Plus DMP kinda screwed the pooch on quality with ROBOT. I'm afraid to even open my copies cause the binding deteriorated so much over the years. If sales for PEZ go well, I'd also like to see some other collected works from ROBOT in a better published quality. Despite the quality, I still really liked those collections (and I'm still grateful they brought over what they could)
returnal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
incoherently excited about the Nakamura release, and -especially- panpanya's works coming this way! ah!!
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:
Devilman Crybaby reinvigorated a lot of interest in Go Nagai's works which is why I suspect we got all this very good content from them.

Seven Seas claimed to have licensed Devilman prior to having knowledge about a new Anime release.

littlegreenwolf wrote:

Fakku books aren’t widely available via amazon because of their adult content. No idea what denpa has planned, but I don’t see any reason why anyone who sells manga wouldn’t stock the books.

Right, but the manga in question is one that will go over to Denpa. That doesn't make it any tamer.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:
Animegunclub wrote:
Devilman Crybaby reinvigorated a lot of interest in Go Nagai's works which is why I suspect we got all this very good content from them.

Seven Seas claimed to have licensed Devilman prior to having knowledge about a new Anime release.

I'd be willing to believe they got Grimore before being aware of Crybaby, but for the other Go Nagai works (including the new classics editions) I have a tough time believing they were unaware of Yuasa's work coming down the pipeline when licensing and planning their releases.

Not that this is inherently a bad thing, it's giving us Go Nagai work in pretty handsome books.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Nothing too interesting to me, but hope they do well so they can release stuff I want to buy in the future.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
We have quite the line-up for current North American mainstream manga/light novel publishers: J-Novel Club, Crunchyroll, DMP, Seven Seas, Viz Media, Kodansha Comix, Vertical, Yen Press, a resurrected Tokyopop, Dark Horse Comics, One Peace Books, Sol Press, this company, and any other smaller ones I might be forgetting.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:
As for Murata's art-book, I don't know wich works it features but a US edition have a more attractive price for me.

I haven't seen the book, but I know a lot of it is made up of the monthly artwork he has in the Wani Magazine, Comic Kairakuten, under the name of "futuregraph". It's basically all his latest work, along with I think some work that may have only been printed previously in Robot.

Coup d'État wrote:

Right, but the manga in question is one that will go over to Denpa. That doesn't make it any tamer.

Those two titles are currently available on Amazon and no longer blacklisted by them. For a while they were outright refusing to sell FAKKU books, but they've started allowing it again. Compared to what FAKKU usually releases, they are much tamer. I don't see why anything Denpa releases would have any issues.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2