• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: In New Book, Ghibli's Suzuki Reveals Isao Takahata as Notoriously Difficult Director

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omoikane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:58 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
I mean this isn’t really new information, we already knew both him and Miyazaki were difficult directors and perfectionists. And that the intense workmanlike culture of not just Ghibli but Japan’s industry as a whole contributed to Kondo’s unfortunate passing. Really, there’s no one person to blame but rather the state of the industry in general. And Suzuki has always been the blunt straight man of the three.

You make it sound as if people die all the time because they were working on anime, but this isn't the case. Kondo, especially, was a really talented creator who was just cut short way too soon at 47yo. Ghibli and Takahata both have reputation in the industry, none of this may be a surprise but it is a super loud, public affirmation as to why Ghibli has so much trouble training its next generation directors and raising up talents. Anime isn't made by one person--it takes a team of other talented creators, and fundamentally these kind of toxic attitudes were the things that held the studio and Japanese animation in general from developing further.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:21 am Reply with quote
One day, someone will die... but shoganai, ne?
I want to punch all of them.

Last edited by Panino Manino on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
anime_layer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
let's not forget that Mamoru Hosoda was set to direct Howl's Moving Castle and left early in the production.He never worked with Ghibli again to this day.Probably because of this.

Not according to Hosoda himself. There's documentary where he mentions his work on Howl's (IIRC it was a making-of about Wolf Children).

According to him, his contribution ended at the script stage and failed because he was working on the script all by himself and not taking any feedback from Ghibli. When he finally submitted the script it was rejected and he decided to quit. It occurred to him only later that he should have sought constant feedback during the script's development to make sure it met Ghibli's expectations.

In the documentary he also proudly shows off a thank you letter he got from Miyazaki after he quit. It didn't seem at all that he had any misgivings about Ghibli nor any actual experience working there.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:
I tend to get jealous and envious when others have better work than me.

I can completely relate. My friends draw so much better than me, leagues above what I can produce, and they can do pages of drawings within mere hours of each one. Another friend (who I don't hear from as much anymore) told me long ago to never compare my own work to others' work as it will definitely create those feelings of bitter envy...but it's hard not to, especially when they show you the group shot they did in only half an hour.

Last edited by belvadeer on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I dare say this tale invites us to heighten our focus on the way Only Yesterday lauds the practice of tiresome labour. Unbecoming though the notion may seem, it would not surprise me if Takahata conceived of work as something intrinsically good rather than some mere necessity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Great artists in all mediums tend to be difficult to work with. Stanley Kubrick was an asshole and Alfred Hitchcock was a possessive, creepy weirdo who abused his cast. Doesn't mean their movies aren't great. At the end of the day it's about separating the art from the artist.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Great artists in all mediums tend to be difficult to work with. Stanley Kubrick was an asshole and Alfred Hitchcock was a possessive, creepy weirdo who abused his cast. Doesn't mean their movies aren't great. At the end of the day it's about separating the art from the artist.

Sometimes it hard to separate Art A from Art B. For example, silent film director D.W. Griffith directed a 3/1910 short film called "In Old California", the first film shot in Hollywood. He is better known for directing the 1915 silent film epic "Birth of A Nation". Separating his most famous work, a post-Civil War film featuring Blackface and glorification of the KKK, from the 100s of the films he worked on will be hard.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Valjean Lafitte

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
During the cremation, Suzuki says that S-san said aloud, "It was Paku-san that killed Kon-chan, wasn't it?" The air in the room froze until Takahata quietly nodded.

It's hard to picture this really happening. Who would even have the nerve to say something like that at such a somber moment when Takahata was standing right there?
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:13 am Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
You make it sound as if people die all the time because they were working on anime, but this isn't the case. Kondo, especially, was a really talented creator who was just cut short way too soon at 47yo. Ghibli and Takahata both have reputation in the industry, none of this may be a surprise but it is a super loud, public affirmation as to why Ghibli has so much trouble training its next generation directors and raising up talents. Anime isn't made by one person--it takes a team of other talented creators, and fundamentally these kind of toxic attitudes were the things that held the studio and Japanese animation in general from developing further.

Ghibli was never mean't to be a studio that would last after Takahata's and Miyazaki's retirement. It was a studio that was made because Miyazaki and Takahata wanted to have full freedom of expression in their movies without any restrictions imposed by working inside a big studio with bosses and stuff. Instead they made a small studio so that they could make their own movies in their own pace and style without worrying about commercial considerations beyond making enough money to support future movies. Hence, the fact that Guibli didn't train directors to replace Miyazaki and Takahata is irrelevant because that was not the point of the studio existing in the first place: it was to go e Miyazaki and Takahata all the freedom they wanted including the freedom to be a pain to work with among their employees.

By the way, Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky, Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies were all box office failures but managed to make their cost back thanks to merchandising and VHS/disk sales. So Kaguya might have lost money on the box office but it still can generate revenues through many additional channels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:06 am Reply with quote
Valjean Lafitte wrote:
Quote:
During the cremation, Suzuki says that S-san said aloud, "It was Paku-san that killed Kon-chan, wasn't it?" The air in the room froze until Takahata quietly nodded.

It's hard to picture this really happening. Who would even have the nerve to say something like that at such a somber moment when Takahata was standing right there?

If it was something everyone thought, and it is a funeral. I could see it happen.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
You make it sound as if people die all the time because they were working on anime, but this isn't the case.

Yeah... no I wasn’t. Just stating why something like that could have happened in the first place.

Takahata himself was clearly shameful of that, but I think shouldering the entirety of the burden on him alone is pretty unfair too. Kondo’s last projects at the studio weren’t even under him. I imagine it was rather more that he imbedded a deeply unhealthy and obsessive work ethic into Kondo and others that resulted in these drastic repercussions.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
The Ghibli foreman have been known to be pretty upfront and honest about their feelings, so I can totally see that being said at the funeral. It was probably something they all knew they’d helped cause, and instead of ignoring that they did what they always do and said what was on their mind. Better than ignoring it altogether imo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2