• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Anime Production Industry Reaches Record High Income With 200 Billion Yen

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumclaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Speaking for myself, I love types of tsunderes scarce in anime today. Very few studios are seeing my money.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Great. That means that the industry is learning how to capitalize on streaming services instead of only using physical disk, TV rights and merchandise sales to survive. I expect the anime industry to grow a lot over the next several years as it is getting more popular in Japan, among Westerners and that the Chinese market is consolidating.

nDroae wrote:
I've posted and reposted these Answerman quotes to death on other sites, but they're highly relevant here:

"Japan's seemingly-inevitable tumble off the economic cliff in the next few decades is a constant concern for every Japanese business, especially one such as anime, which still depends heavily on the domestic market to make its money, and on domestic talent to get produced. The anime industry is trying to head this disaster off at the pass. Both the government and the major companies have invested a great amount of resources into expanding the international market, especially into China and into English speaking parts of the world. The last five years have seen an epoch-making shift in how much revenue comes in from places like Crunchyroll and Chinese streaming platforms, versus Japanese fans. I haven't seen recent numbers, but it's generally thought that overseas sales are now as important to a show's bottom line as domestic fans -- perhaps moreso." animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-10-17/.107730

"Business is booming in the anime industry right now. Streaming revenues from North America and China have more than offset declines in DVD/Blu-ray revenues. However, this rise in cashflow is not trickling down to the actual anime production companies, who have spent decades cutting their costs to the bone in order to stay competitive. Rather than pay more for production, the producers on the Production Committees are using the money to make more shows."
animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2017-05-26/.116584

I just posted this on MAL this evening: "I was myself expecting the industry to shrink or collapse due to falling profits, until I read those articles. (The idea of the industry collapsing didn't really bother me; I don't exactly need anime to keep being made.) Now, I'm concerned about other issues, like the workforce shortage, which is surely worsened by poor pay and conditions. And in the long term, if the balance continues to shift and the foreign market actually starts to dominate in importance, it seems inevitable that the very nature of anime will change."

All those assertions are plain wrong. Foreign markets are not remotely dominant in importance: in 2016, Japanese animation studios had revenues of 230 billion yen of which foreign sources corresponded to 45.9 billion yen while domestic sources corresponded to 184.1 billion yen, that's about 4 times larger, or in percentage terms, in 2016, 80% of industry revenues were local while 20% were from international sources.

The proportion of foreign revenues increased a bit from 2002, when it corresponded to 22.4 billion yen to the domestic total of 114.6 billion yen and industry total revenues of 137 billion yen. So in 2002, 84% of the industry revenues were local and 16% were from international sources. Note that both domestic and foreign revenues increased a lot between 2002 and 2016: domestic revenues increased about 70% while foreign revenues doubled.

It's true that foreign markets have become relatively more important for the anime industry but they are still very small and there isn't any strong trend suggesting that this fact will change. If the share of foreign revenues in anime grows at the rate is has been growing between 2002 and 2016, by 2030, they will be only about 25%. So for the near future there is no risk of foreign markets replacing the Japanese market.

Besides, what makes anime unique is the Japanese cultural sensibilities and those cultural sensibilities are provided by the creators of anime and not by the consumers. So even if the bulk of the revenue from anime fans comes from foreigners the fact remains that anime is mainly adapted from manga, games and novels written for the local market by local artists and both the manga, games, novel and anime artists still remain Japanese people with Japanese sensibilities. So there is no risk of anime losing it's cultural sensibilities.

There is the risk of the focus of anime shows shifting on genres that are relatively more popular outside of Japan than inside of Japan. For instance, in China, action mahua are much more popular than slice of life mahua so I expect more action anime to be produced as the Chinese market becomes more important for the industry.

Finally, there is the possibility of the growth in "Western anime" which are shows made by Japanese studios but written by westerners. Such as Castlevania (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania_(TV_series)) or Highlander:_The_Search_for_Vengeance (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highlander:_The_Search_for_Vengeance) which were written by westerners but produced by Japanese animators. These titles combine Japanese visual style with Western fictional narrative style.

So overall I am highly optimistic about Japanese animation, I think that even if foreign markets become more important that will have more beneficial effects by expanding the range of genres the industry creates but I also think that most of the growth in the industry will be driven by the domestic market.

One important feature of Japanese popular culture is that the manga industry has been declining since the mid 1990's while the anime industry has been growing so what I think is happening is that instead of reading manga more and more young Japanese people are watching anime instead. It's a slow process of metamorphosis of the manga/anime industry from physical paper into video streaming.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2